Hitting the gym in the morning or night?

Options
I go to the gym at least 4-6 days a week and its usually after work around 8pm. I work longs shifts and by the end of the day im quite tired because i stand all day. I have recently tried the morning workout and felt energized all day long. Its just im not much of a morning person. LOL Im sure there are plenty of you out there. Anyways I just want to know everyones preferences.
Do you like to workout in the morning or night?

Replies

• briebear77
    briebear77 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I would love to work out in the mornings and I try to, but typically it ends up being after work at 1030 PM. So preference? Morning. Actual? Night lol.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I've been going to the gym in the late mornings(11am) but lately I'm considering going in the evenings when there is less traffic. The only concern I have is I'm afraid I may be a morning person and will not perform as well. I may give it a try next weekend.
  • thisgirls_acowboy87
    thisgirls_acowboy87 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    well I work the night shift and get off of work at 7 AM and I usually go as soon as I get off of work. thats really the only time that I am able to do it having an 11 month old with me the rest of the time. I like it though....it makes me feel like I've had a productive day and that I have accomplished something since I'm able to end it on a high!
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I love going in the mornings but it's not always practical, as you say though you feel like you've had a bucket of coffee for the whole day! I'm totally not a morning person, but I'm learning to get used to it. The benefits outweigh the pain of getting out of bed so early!
  • SemperFi91
    SemperFi91 Posts: 169
    Options
    Having a 11 month old is work already lol glad that you are doing good keep it up! :)
  • SemperFi91
    Options
    I totally agree with you dollipop! :)
  • JesseJaymz
    JesseJaymz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I like working out first thing when i wake up, but according to this it's better if you workout in the evenings. Number 14) http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-best-of-the-best-here-are-20-gems-of-wisdom-you-need-to-know.html
  • mishtery
    mishtery Posts: 148
    Options
    I do it anytime, when I feel like it etc. but need to get into it this week. missed last week. but been out walking and running most days. The best time is in the morning about 6.30ish apparently and eat within an hr of waking to wake up your metabolism. I'm out walking/running with a group some mornings at 6am. If I don't make it, i do it any time. Work/study child etc you can't always do it in the morning.
  • finskihillfarm
    Options
    I love going in the mornings because it gives me great energy for the day. I am currently deployed to Afghanistan and because of work demands and trying not to wake a room mate I go right when I get off work and then go right to sleep. I don't like it as much but it's still 'doable' for me. The cool thing? The gym in my camp is right next to my living quarters... 1 actual minute away! :bigsmile:
  • SemperFi91
    Options
    @finskihillfar I just want to say Thank you. Also 1 minute away???? That is soooo freaking awesome lol mine is like 3 haha
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out at night, but it's nice to get a workout in the morning.. makes my day feel more productive lol.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Morning for me. Not only am I one of those dreaded morning people, I find I have less excuses for missing workouts. By the end of the workday I find myself making excuses about being too tired and telling myself lies about how I'm totally going to make it up by going tomorrow or by skipping a meal. But hey, whatever time you get there, as long as you get there, right?
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    both. working nights I feel more energetic if I take a 20-30 min fitness break while at work. I usually do on the weekends. it's rarely busy so I can get away with it plus my co-workers are supportive and back me up if it does get busy while I am out. I also go in the mornings after I get off work at 7am. 3-4x a week.
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I"m lucky I can get out of the house showered and teeth brushed in the morning! I'm a night owl workout-wise. Just finished in fact!
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    On the weekend or holidays, I get it done once I wake up. On a workday, I do it after I finish work and before dinner. As I get older, it seems I can only workout on an empty stomach (maybe a banana or something). I would have to wait several hours after dinner to exercise and by that time, I should be in bed.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I"m lucky I can get out of the house showered and teeth brushed in the morning! I'm a night owl workout-wise. Just finished in fact!

totally jelly! :grumble: I just started my shift. thankfully it's my Friday of the work week. :glasses:

edit*
    ok I just read that as work not work out. I need my coffee to wake up >.>
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Evenings for me. I'm trying to do AMs but it is very difficult for me. When I am very busy and go, go, go... I have a tendency to do both. :/
  • TrekkieChic
    TrekkieChic Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I hate mornings, but I work out from 06h15 to 07h15, Mondays to Fridays.

Like a previous poster mentioned, when I plan an afternoon or evening workout, it never seems to happen. Too easy to make excuses!

And people please... What's this I hear about morning workouts energising you? Clearly I'm doing something wrong!!
  • Mariaisgettingfit
    Options
    If I'm going to run, it HAS to be in the morning. I like the peace and quiet and for nobody to be around, although it is sometimes difficult to get out of bed for. Most of the time I work out on my cross trainer/work on my abs at night after dinner. I think I prefer working out in the morning because I feel like it's out of the way and I don't have the chance to make excuses :)
  • NelehY
    NelehY Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning before work - if I tried to leave it till afternoon/evening I will definitely find excuses not to go.

Instead I spend the day feeling pleased that I've already been
    - which may be my version of the 'energising' that is being mentioned?