cheapest fruit/veg

Options
what are the cheapest fruits and veg ?? i am begining to eat them in larger volumes lol

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Usually whatever is in season and grows near you. Your mileage may vary.
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Potatoes, onions, bananas, apples.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Frozen spinach is super cheap. Spinach cooks down a ton so it takes a lot of fresh leaves to fill that package.
  • loztredders
    loztredders Posts: 142
    Options
    Bananas are so cheap where I live, about 8p each.
  • kym117
    kym117 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I buy a lot of veggies and I think as someone said at the start the cheapest way to eat veggies is to eat whats in season as veggies can be very expensive!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said plus Kale. Awsome nutrients at a super low price!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I buy most of my produce at the Asia World Market since they have good variety and really cheap prices. Unfortunately, they don't always stock strawberries, blackberries, or blueberries. They have a lot of other cheap fruits and veggies but can't remember them all.

Limes - 10 for $1
    Bananas - .49 per 1 lb
    Ya Pears - .67 per 1 lb
    Strawberries - $1.39 per 1 lb
    Blueberries - $1.59 per 6 oz
    Blackberries - $1.99 per 6 oz
    Red Globe Grapes - $1.99 per 1 lb
    Sweet Cherries - $1.99 per 1lb
    Lychee - $2 per 1 lb

Green Onions - 4 for $1
    Broccoli - .45 per 1 lb
    Baby Bok Choy (short) - .49 per 1 lb
    Cucumber - .49 per 1 lb
    Japanese Yams - .49 per 1 lb
    Red Bell Peppers - .89 per 1 lb
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    nowadays sweet corn is fairly cheap
  • BigRedgw2010
    BigRedgw2010 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Go to Costco or Sam. You can get 3 pounds bananas for under $2, strawberries for $5 and red grapes for $6 for 5 pounds. Also try your local farmers market. They have some good deals as well.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Bananas
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    a lot of time small, local places (like the asian market already mentioned) will have better prices than big chain groceries, though maybe a smaller selection. Local farmer's markets can be a great place to find deals on fresh, in season produce. Also check around to see if any area farms run a membership type program, by me they are commonly called CSA or community supported agriculture programs. A CSA is typically a couple area farms getting together to sell direct to the consumer, but without a store to support. The CSA I'm part of happens to be all organic, but I get a big box of fruits & veg that averages 15-20 lbs for $34.
  • Soniatantu
    Soniatantu Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if anyone suggested this. I didn't read every single response but if you have any local fruit/veggie stands or produce shops they usually sell produce at a much lower price. But banana's seem to be the cheapest and whatever is in season...like other poster;s have mentioned.
  • missallenxox
    missallenxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    omg you guys can eat cheap. i guess i failed to mention i live in the north.... lol ****s expensive apparently!!
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    nowadays sweet corn is fairly cheap

corn isn't a vegetable. it's a grain.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    this time of year, your best bet is to find a local farmers' market. you'll get great, super fresh produce for less than the crap you get at the store that's been trucked/floated from God knows where. also, try u-pick operations. usually a small fraction of retail, and you can stock up and freeze as much as you like ;)
  • ansley341
    ansley341 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yea, it all depends on where you live and whats in season.
    Where I am I usually find pears, apples and oranges the cheapest through out the year
    the others vary depending on whats in season
  • Iriska17
    Iriska17 Posts: 8
    Options
    Cabbage, carrots and beets are usually cheap. Root vegetables in general...
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Around here, bell peppers and cucumbers are extremely cheap (~0.40 each).
  • missallenxox
    missallenxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Around here, bell peppers and cucumbers are extremely cheap (~0.40 each).

just as an example we pay between 2.50 and 3.50 a lb for a damn pepper ....lol EVEN the green ones!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    omg you guys can eat cheap. i guess i failed to mention i live in the north.... lol ****s expensive apparently!!

North of where??

I second the advice to find out what is in season.
    If your north is cold (ours is hot!) and there are times when nothing is in season then check out frozen fruit and veg options.
    You are still getting good nutrition and it will probably be more affordable.