Low cal diets.

Options
Before I begin, I DO NOT want people here bashing what I and other people may be doing. This is my choice, and it works for me, as I'm sure it does for others...

Now, is there anyone out there doing exceptionally low calorie diets? And if so, is there any other criteria you're following? For example; low carb, low fat, minimal sugar, ect...

Just want to hear who else is doing the same thing I am. :)

Oh, and feel free to add me! ;)

Replies

• Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    bump
  • avt85
    avt85 Posts: 64
    Options
    how low calorie are we talking about here? I'm
    On a 1000 calorie diet and no I do not follow any rules. Eat whatever and whenever. However being on a low cal diet, I tend to go for the healthier option in most cases as they have low calorie and I can eat more.

So far, have lost 38.5kgs with this diet over 3.5 months coming from 120kgs.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    watch carbs & sugar intake rather than calories. Trust me. Just try it for a week.
  • Reignofmongo
    Reignofmongo Posts: 137
    Options
    how low calorie are we talking about here? I'm
    On a 1000 calorie diet and no I do not follow any rules. Eat whatever and whenever. However being on a low cal diet, I tend to go for the healthier option in most cases as they have low calorie and I can eat more.

So far, have lost 38.5kgs with this diet over 3.5 months coming from 120kgs.

Nice work! I would consider most anything below 1200 pretty low... Reasonable number? But yeah, I hear ya on eating clean so that you can eat more! Only way for me to stay low cal. lol
  • Reignofmongo
    Options
    watch carbs & sugar intake rather than calories. Trust me. Just try it for a week.

I've tried low carb, and though they work to a degree, low cal works best for me. I know this through trial and error. Previously lost 100 pounds going low cal. :)
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    good job! well some people think that it's only calories in and calories out, and it obviously makes sense. Maybe eating low carb makes you lose all the water weight? it only works temporarily though, because who can go low carb for a long time?
  • Reignofmongo
    Options
    good job! well some people think that it's only calories in and calories out, and it obviously makes sense. Maybe eating low carb makes you lose all the water weight? it only works temporarily though, because who can go low carb for a long time?

Sorry, I'm actually a huge advocate of low carb. I just have to incorporate a low cal diet in as well. I find the initial water weight loss helps motivate for the slower loss down the road. But yeah... Low carb brings out some weird cravings. A week or two in and suddenly all I want is ice cream! XD lol
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I have tried low carb. Gained it right back. Now Im counting cal
  • JennMarieFitz
    JennMarieFitz Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm curious how low is too low? I'm not bashing anybody who does this - just honestly wanting to know! I had my cals set to 1200 for a long time and rarely went over, usually didn't even get to 1100. I did not lose an ounce! But when I went on vacation, I stopped tracking and lost four pounds! I thought maybe it was because my body needed more calories, so I upped to 1360, thinking that I entered in the wrong information ( I said I was sedentary, when I guess I'm not) I haven't gotten anywhere, but thankfully haven't gained. I've added some cardio and 30day shred to it as well, and I'm hoping to see some sort of results.

So I guess my question is, was 1200 too low for me? Should I go back to it to hopefully get results?
  • buttons2012
    buttons2012 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm doing www.12wbt.com
    1200 calories in and 500 out per day, 1000 out saturday and sunday rest day. Its grainy, good carbs, low sugar and very low sodium
    0400772 Posts: 80
    Options
    How low is low? my limit is set on here at 1200 but i barely eat that. I normally aim for the 1000 mark and obviously anything i can burn off is an added bonus.

Low calorie diets can be ok temporarily but they can also be a bad source of just fat, sugar etc. So i think if doing a low cal diet you need to watch out for everything else too, if that makes sense
  • Lilo2k12
    Lilo2k12 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, most of the time i try to stay under 1000Kcal a day, 850 is perfect actually (for me), right now i try to lose fat and it's very difficult, but it's the same for all of us!
    what i do is i eat 3 main meals a day made of proteins and veggies (no fat added, and no sugar), i'll also have two snacks usually soy milk (because lactose intolerent) and a fruit!
    so basically all my sugar intakes consist of fruits and theres a bit of sugar in my vanilla soy milk, as for the fat i don't use extra fat, i just spay a bit of oil in the pan and i wipe it off before cooking my meal!

i have been able to stick to this program for 8 weeks now, pounds go by slowly but i don't feel tired, actually i feel better, a lot more energy than before!!
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    During my weight loss journey from feb 25th last year to dec 6th last year, i was 1200 cal and below... and lost 200 pounds in that time period.... at different times when on my liquid stages (shakes) I was 600-800 cal or 800-1000.
    I always made sure my protein was watched...60-80 gr minimum to help preserve lean muscle mass.Had my multi vitamins n others n made sure my blood was checked every 3 months by my doc for deficiencies. I made sure sugar content was low.. no more than 8 grams per 100 cal.... fruits were exempt to this rule..but i did choose wisely and kept fruit at a minimum but still fit some in for fiber. I watched the carbs... no bread, pasta..little potato n little rice. i used the lowest healthiest crackers out there. i used protein shakes n meal replacements at times. used low fat everything watching it all....drank minimum 8 cups water daily... kept my sodium low.... exercised (walked) daily. ..lifted a few weights.... swam.. danced...kept active.
  • gurganuss
    gurganuss Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I try to stay at 1200 to 1200 now because I am 5'6" and weigh 120 pounds so I am trying to maintain.

I have lost 27 pounds since the beginning of the year doing MFP and eating just under 1200 calories. Every once and a while I would go over my 1200 calories and yes I did find that after one day a jump of calories and then behaving myself I would lose 2 to 3 pounds that week.

The biggest problem is that everyones body is a little different and everyoen has to find out what works best for them.
  • ThinnerTheWinner
    Options
    At the moment I am doing a mixture of the cambridge diet. I have two shakes a day at 143 kals each and then a dinner of my choice, as long as I stay below 1000 kals a day Im happy. :)
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'm doing www.12wbt.com
    1200 calories in and 500 out per day, 1000 out saturday and sunday rest day. Its grainy, good carbs, low sugar and very low sodium

How are u finding it? Is it worth it?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you do low calories, youre better off doing high protein high fat. One word of advice, get some body fat calipers and track lean body mass. You can see how fast your body will catabolize your lean body mass. Generally the vlcd i have seen have led to 50% of the weight loss from lbm.

Also things are difference when you are severely obese vs normal/overweight.
  • Witchtripper
    Witchtripper Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi !

I'm trying to stay around 1000 kcal a day too ! Except on saturdays which are my cheat days. But every other days of the week i'm around 1000kcal a day. And so far so good ! I feel like that's the only way I can lose weight honestly, and I've tried everything !
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    by: nsblue LOST 385 POUNDS!!!!!

During my weight loss journey from feb 25th last year to dec 6th last year, i was 1200 cal and below... and lost 200 pounds in that time period.... at different times when on my liquid stages (shakes) I was 600-800 cal or 800-1000.
    I always made sure my protein was watched...60-80 gr minimum to help preserve lean muscle mass.Had my multi vitamins n others n made sure my blood was checked every 3 months by my doc for deficiencies. I made sure sugar content was low.. no more than 8 grams per 100 cal.... fruits were exempt to this rule..but i did choose wisely and kept fruit at a minimum but still fit some in for fiber. I watched the carbs... no bread, pasta..little potato n little rice. i used the lowest healthiest crackers out there. i used protein shakes n meal replacements at times. used low fat everything watching it all....drank minimum 8 cups water daily... kept my sodium low.... exercised (walked) daily. ..lifted a few weights.... swam.. danced...kept active.

:heart: You're my shero :heart:
  • Reignofmongo
    Options
    I would consider anything below 1000 to 1200 low i guess... It's nice to see I'm not the only one. :) I've been around 500 cals a day... Just temporarily.