Portion Control is a killer!

Options

Replies

• poulingail
    poulingail Posts: 110
    Options
    I have a friend who gave me a couple dozen eggs from her hens and some spinach. That meant it was time to make quiche so I did just that, made 4. I'd say it looks like high protein diet is on for at least a while. At the end of the day, I had 114 carbs remaining, I was over fats by 21, and over protein by 56.
    Sometimes when I break a routine I see some weight come off. We'll see if this breaks the plateau.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Why are your calories so low?!!?
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Why are your calories so low?!!?

Dawn, this isn't the first time I have seen you post this question. The answer will always be this: Based on height, weight, age, degree of activity on a daily basis, and BMR, MyFitnessPal will calculate your caloric needs manually. For many, MANY people, this comes out to 1200 calories, which is the lowest recommended intake.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    OP, make sure you're getting plenty of water, and all of the vitamins and nutrients you should be getting. Lean proteins and leafy greens could be really helpful to you.
  • sunnyval
    sunnyval Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My calorie requirement is 1270---i have been on this since memorial day ( about one month) and although it was tricky at first it forced me to learn what calories are "worth' eating...I pretty much dropped bagels in the morning--it wreaked havoc on me for the rest of the day....hungry and went over cals. I never liked cereal and use it as a snack,,,breakfast is usually eggs or ww waffle w/ pbutter and banana...I need more breakfast ideas.

I found that if i start w/ the rgt breakfast I do better for the rest of the day (new fav is egg whites and mushrooms)

I also try to plan my meals ahead the day before---it helps and have found lately that i dont eat all my snacks as im not hungry

So i would try to change your breakfast to a egg based meal,,,sounds like the other meals are pretty good. Portions are hard to deal with so i started to eat all my meals in a smaller plates...it feels like im eating more. when i eat out i always take 1/2 the food home.

Oh an i do eat my excerise cals,,,some people dont
  • lissaann22479
    Options
    1250 sounds too low. Even mine is 1350 to lose 1.5lbs a week. Also, one thing I like about this site is that when you work out, it adds more caloreis for you to eat. That way you feel like it's a little reward. Plus, for some reason I feel a little less hungry when I work out then when I don't. But yeah, what you eat determines if you are hungry or full. whole wheat, grains, protein, all those keep you fuller longer.

I agree.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hi, try making your diary public so we can make more informed comment :flowerforyou:

What's your BMR? MFP has a calculator under tools.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 foot exactly and have set my activity level to sedentary and at losing 1 pound a week, MFP gave me 1390 calories a day (although I struggle to stick to even this!). It could be that I have a lot more weight to lose than you do though?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I agree with you there and its a pain measuring quantities but its a good practice to get into - I love cereals too and found that I could eat almost twice the amount of rice crispies as Special k! so that's what I choose now!
    Also an MFP friend said for amounts to eat a good guideline for dinner is potato = size of tennis ball and the meat/fish portion the size of a deck of cards and then unlimited vegs. Its the veg that fill you up and they're good for us :)
    If you measure for the first week or so you'll get a handle on how much rice etc you should be having and you will soon know by how much of a bowl it fills etc :)

Good luck with your journey
  • nancykhayes
    nancykhayes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I know portions can be hard to control because I have the same problem. You could try buying the small serving bag of popcorn and then it would be okay to eat the whole bag. I also love baked potatos. I have stopped using butter and use Butter Buds instead. They are found in the seasoning aisle and once you sprinkle them on your vegetables you have butter flavor. They are only 10 calories a serving. Good luck and rest assured there are others here to support you and who are also experiencing the same problems!
  • beccag28
    beccag28 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I get hungry at 3pm too, Ive started trying to eat my biggest meal at lunch time, and then my smaller lunch sized meal at dinner time. Time will tell if this help!
  • awisegirl84
    awisegirl84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and get a food scale and a measuring cup...and then use them.!!! Like you, I love to have a "bowl" of something...But most times the stuff that we are eating by the bowl is being measured by the cup for caloric and nutritional value. Once I started using my food scale and measuring cup....MY EYES WERE OPENED! I quickly came to the realization that A CUP OF CEREAL IS NOT THE SAME THING AS A BOWL OF CEREAL!!! . The same goes for meat serving sizes. The average chicken breast weights a whole lot more than 4ozs! A GLASS OF SOMETHING (water, milk etc)) IS NOT always THE SAME AS A CUP OF SOMETHING.

There is nothing wrong with eating a bowl/glass/ serving of something as long as you know exactly how much food is going into your bowl/glass/ serving size..
  • jacynda6817
    Options
    Using a food scale is so important, you do not realize how small the portions are listed on everything. My scale measures grams and ounces it is always on my counter and i have begun measuring everything. In the beginning if i wanted two portions i measured out two portions and was honest with myself when putting it in MFP.

My problem is potion control and knowing that you have to take a serious approach to your lifestyle change. Do I want to remain fat or do I want to get and stay healthy? Well my family and I are all trying to get and stay healthy. Which after 6 months I still find it frustrating grocery shopping, reading label, after label, after label. Then going home and measure everything so that my portions are in line. Still a struggle but the weight is coming off.
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    bump
    interested in reading more into this later:smile:
  • stephanie_pephanie
    Options
    At least 5 times a week, I exercise. Today it was pushing the mower for a good hour. It's usually 30 minutes to an hour of cardio, maybe yard work or my treadmill. That allows me extra calories. I exercise for fitness but since I started MFP in September, I exercise so I can eat more. Back to the original complaint ~ I'm hungry!

Oh my god. Please eat more! Seriously. Others might disagree and say eat more of this or more of that but who cares - you are hungry woman, it's not what you're eating, it's the fact that you're not eating enough! And you won't stick to the plan if you are hungry and feel deprived because being hungry SUCKS S****. You are exercising so you should still be able to create a deficit and lose weight.

I'm so passionate about this - people simply cannot stick to diets where they feel hungry all the time - also it seems like 1250 calories is below your basal metabolic rate. I know there is much confusion floating round about BMR but take it from someone who studies biochemistry - you SHOULD NOT, I repeat, SHOULD NOT go under your BMR - this is the minimum level of calories that your body needs to perform basic day to day functioning. The more you weigh the more your BMR will be so if you are anywhere upwards of 140 pounds then 1250 calories a day is simply not enough (no matter what MFP says) and that is why you feel hungry!

I use this calculator:

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

and then just use MFP to get the amount of calories in the food I eat.

OK, I've finished preaching - do what you will but I say eat more! :smile:
  • imaj79
    imaj79 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Saving for later. :)
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    For me, if I am eating too many cabs and not enough protein/fiber/fat, its almost impossible to control portions. What are your ratios? I'm not suggesting a low carb diet or anything. But, your diet should be balanced. For me it works best if I have some of each macronutrient each time I eat.
  • paulmdepoy
    paulmdepoy Posts: 20
    Options
    Just stick with it! I measure and weigh almost all of my food now to stay on my diet. At first it was hard to eat a serving size of something because I was used to eating 3 or 4 times the amount. Now a serving size is plenty and I don't find myself wanting more after Im done
  • poulingail
    poulingail Posts: 110
    Options

I use this calculator:

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced and then just use MFP to get the amount of calories in the food I eat.

Using that calculator it says my BMR is 1735. If I ate that much I'd really pack on the pounds. And that's without any extra exercise!
    MFP says "Your estimated BMR is: 1,385 calories/day*"

That's a huge difference. I must be reading it wrong. Folks, can you try out this calculator and see if your results are similar? How does it compare to the MFP calculator?

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced