At a loss??

Options
Ayirela
Ayirela Posts: 204 Member
I have no clue what kind of dinners to make? My partner likes a full dinner that isn't salad, soup...etc... She likes to have her meat/potato/veg type meals. I keep trying to look up cals and beef and pork are so high but she's quickly getting burned out on poultry. I'm afraid she'll give up on MFP and go back to Slimming World if I don't figure out a way to start mixing up dinner ideas....

What are dinners that you find filling that are low on calories? She's 5'8 236 pounds and MFP has her on 1240 Cals per day.

Replies

• Adureeuh
    Adureeuh Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You can get leaner meats if you're concerned. I find the most effective method is to just use portion control. If she really likes these types of food, just measure out a serving size and eat that at a meal. Then, you can always snack later if you are hungry since you will more likely have more calories left over.

Try drinking lots of water with your meals and add a size salad that's low in calories so you eat more volume but don't add tons of calories.
  • Ayirela
    Options
    Thanks! I'm searching websites for low cal recipes for dinners because I'm so lost.
  • Adureeuh
    Adureeuh Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Try 90 percent lean beef or pork chops. Both are filling, better for you, and can be made in very healthy ways.
  • aghack
    aghack Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have a few recipes that might help:

Marinated pork chops: Marinate 2 lean pork chops in 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1 clove garlic minced, and fresh black pepper.

Grill for 5-6 min each side and serve with grilled zucchini.

Fajita Bowl-
    1/2 lb of strip steak cut into faijita strips, red/green bell peppers, onion. (use a LOT of veggies/peppers so you can fill up)
    Sautee w/ faijita seasoning while yellow rice cooks. (measure portions of yellow rice into bowl, top with sautee mix.

Another hint:
    If MFP has her on 1240, that is without eating back her exercise cals. I'm at about the same place. However, to keep from having to eat tiny little poultry meals, a 300 calorie burn will add enough to her daily allowance so that she can really enjoy her food. Remember, it's better to commit to something she's willing to do, than to suffer for a few weeks and then quit.

Feel free to add me, I'm a pretty good cook, and I share recipes.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    also try ground turkey or chicken, and fish.
  • Ayirela
    Options
    Great advice from all of you. Love the fajita recipe! Thanks guys!! As far as the turkey and chicken she's tired of it she said she's going to be a bird at the end of the week with feathers smh so dramatic LOL....She just says she's at boredom. Neither one of us are nutritionist and when she looks at things that say it will calories then anytime she see's a dinner going over 300 she freaks out and gets frustrated.

She has lost 5 pounds since Tuesday doing her calories and exercise and she has been feeling full...I think she's just afraid if the calorie dinner is over 300-400 in ingredients then it's going to blow everything. I think given some time she'll come around....hopefully....I have to come up with a meal plan for the week that keeps her at very low cal dinners so while she's gone today that is my challenge.

Challenge accepted! hmmm
  • drewsmom07
    drewsmom07 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Here's one to try
    London broil (use a dry spice no oil needed and sprinkle it on both sides than let it sit wrapped up in the fridge all day) - cook it on the grill and once done slice is as thin as you can. the thinner it is the better it tastes

than on top layer chopped onion and tomatoes mixed with salt and balsamic vinegar. You can add olive oil to the onion tomatoe mixture but use no more than a tablespoon..

serve together
  • Ayirela
    Options
    I've never had a london broil....interesting what kind of meat is it? Would I get that from the butchers?
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Does she like fish?

2 Tilapia boneless Filets =220 calories
    sweet potato (medium size baked)=103 calories
    1/2 cup mushrooms sauteed in garlic& olive oil =46 calories
  • stephaniekhani
    stephaniekhani Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Check out the "healthy" section of BBC Good Food. The hubs and I use it at least 3 or 4 nights a week... there's some really good and seriously tasty stuff on there! http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/healthy/ And it all has the added benefit of being fairly easy and simple to cook. Always worth reading the reviews on each recipe as well.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    London Broil uses flank steak, and if done right is quite nice, if a tad chewy.
    But if you like your meat tender,
    take your flank and slow cook it in a proper slow cooker. for 5 or 6 hours, (google "slow cooked flank steak" for how) works out to be around 220cals per serving. Add rice and steamed veg and you have a meal for less than 500.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I was raised on Elk and Beef and potatoes!! I learned that some red meats can be very lean, like Sirloin and you can cut the fat off. Also boneless pork chops and fish especially. Usually high protein foods are going to be high in calories, but when your exercising your gonna need that protein. I try to keep the red meat down to once or twice a week and do pork, fish and chicken the rest. Also try to stay away from processed meats like sausage, bacon, and keilbasa. Those are very high in calories and sodium and really nothing else.
  • Ayirela
    Options
    I will definitely check out that BBC link thanks!!

Also, Kaotik, I've noticed that red meat is very very high in cal too. I think that is what is bringing her down she burns off cals from exercise but I think she has this deep down fear that if she eats more than a few hundred calories per meal it's going to mess her up. Like after today's yard work she has 1272 cal left because she burnt off so much yet she wants to keep the low cal meal. I don't know what to do with her other than send her to a shrink :)

I think she'll be alright (I hope) she went up to visit her mom today in Dublin so I told her to take charge of the meal up there tonight if she's having dinner up there so that way she knows what is going into her food.

I wondering if we took a nutrition class or something if it would help her get over her fears on some of the foods.

She won't even eat boiled rice because the calories on that are high I think she wants each bit to be under 100 so when combined it's voila 3-400. I'm about to throw the slimming world book back at her and say go do this and go away LOL.

I'm loving the calorie counting it's the only thing that has been effective for me so far and actually seeing WHAT I'm putting in makes a huge difference and keeps me from wanting to have that "cheat".

In a week I've gone from having my coffee with tons of milk and two sugars down to 1 sugar 30 ml's of milk....and this last cup I made I took out the milk all together...soon that last sugar will go byebye too! LOL
  • Ayirela
    Options
    Does she like fish?

2 Tilapia boneless Filets =220 calories
    sweet potato (medium size baked)=103 calories
    1/2 cup mushrooms sauteed in garlic& olive oil =46 calories

That sounds really nice, she loves fish...(I gag on it, but trying to make myself eat fish.....so hard! But I am trying)