Weight Loss, 1 Year Progress

Options
Hello,

It's been more or less a year since I started to think about trying to lose some weight, I don't know what happened or why I decided to lose weight as I was always fairly happy but it happened and I'm glad it did.

I'm 23 male, only short, 5ft 6 but was really very overweight, obese infact(!) weighing about 215 pounds but probably a bit more as I'm not too sure how reliable my scales were.

I started to replace bad snacks with good and eat less carbs, within weeks I felt a lot less bloated, as I made progress I continually improved my diet and got to a stage where I now eat 3 meals a day with my only snacks being fruit and water.

I joined a gym last July, they offered me an introductory scheme for £40 which included 3 personal training sessions, I was a bit dubious about the scheme but was serious about losing weight so went for it...plus the girl selling it to me was really fit and had a low cut top on so my judgement was blurred! Haha! Anyway the scheme was brilliant, did the 3 training sessions and then if I went 20 times in the first 8 weeks I was promised my £40 back as an incentive. It worked, I wanted my £40 quid back so made sure I was hitting the gym at least 3 times a week, it really got me in to the routine of going to the gym, when I got my £40 back I was hooked, I had the ‘bug’ and continued to go 4 or 5 times a week – and I still do now.

I now weigh 158pounds, am aiming for 140 but not sure if I will be able to get there so probably settle for 147 but have to wait and see. My aim now is to lose the last of my belly fat and grow some arm muscles.

My top tips
1. Drink lots of water – your body needs it, it’s good for you and if you think you’re hungry or want a snack your body doesn’t need it...your brain just wants it, so drink some water as it will fill you up and stop you craving food

2. Stick with it, give yourself a chance to succeed – when you decide to do something, anything (running, swimming, eat new foods, drink diet shakes etc) stick with it, you might not enjoy it at first but the more you do it the more used to it you will become and the chances are you will end up enjoying it.

3. No diet & no “cheat days” – this is not a diet, it’s how you should live a healthy life, do not purposely give yourself cheat days as you will not embrace the idea of ‘lifestyle change.’ The easiest way to avoid temptation is to not be surrounded by it...

4. Shopping – go food shopping when the shops are quiet, you will feel less hassled and will be able to make better decisions as you feel like you have more time to make decisions. Make a list and only visit the aisles where the items on your list are, do not venture down the fizzy drinks, sweets, seasonal aisles where there are always lots of ‘can’t be missed’ offers.

5. Running – start running/jogging, not far at first, set yourself goals (i.e. run for 5mins non-stop) and accomplish them. I hated running but have grown to love it, I now run in my spare time(!) I find it relaxing, it’s a perfect chance for thinking.

Don’t get down if you have weeks or a month when you don’t lose, I have had two plateaus, one from xmas to February and one from May until now. The important thing is keeping doing the right things, as long as you don’t put weight on then you are still achieving success.

Throughout my journey I have read this message board but contributed hardly at all but the success stories have really inspired me and helped me to realise that I can achieve my goals so that’s why I am posting this as I want to give others the inspiration and belief that they can do it – like others did for me.

Thank you to all those who posted success stories and pictures which I took courage and strength from.

:D
Wixy

Start
fat1i.jpg

xmas2010n.jpg

jsdt.jpg

2011opens.jpg

Progress

side251011.jpg

Now

120411smile.jpg

caughtsmiling.jpg

23rdjune2012.jpg

Replies

• mollykat73
    mollykat73 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: What awesome results! You look amazing, great job :flowerforyou:
  • MsAziz
    MsAziz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    OHHHHHH!
    You made my day! Really humbling story THANK YOU :)

And damn boy you're lookin' FINE ;D
  • SoulsGirl
    SoulsGirl Posts: 10
    Options
    Wow congratulations. You look so incredible!

23866391.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • bobemmer
    bobemmer Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Nice job - You took the challenge seriously and the results ROCK!
  • My_Own_Hero
    Options
    Wow! You look like a completely different person. Fantastic job!
  • wixy15
    wixy15 Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks people, nice to recieve positive comments :) although this post isn't really for me, it's for all of you!

Just realised as well, i'm 24 not 23, can I get away with that error though? Cos...I was 23 when I started haha.
  • StacyPervis
    Options
    Dude,
    You look 12 years old now. Its amazing what weight does to make a person age.
    Looks great.
  • carlatiger
    carlatiger Posts: 19
    Options
    You look amazing! And thanks for sharing your tips too :)
  • tomusiakl
    tomusiakl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    A job well done.
  • letmebeda1_wechange
    letmebeda1_wechange Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    you look awesome!!! great job, ty for sharing wtg
  • beccatryingtoshed
    Options
    Wow! You are a different person! Well done. Very inspirational. You seriously lost about 10 years!
  • FitasBarbie
    FitasBarbie Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I cant see the pics. You're story is inspiring. Congratulations on your success. Goodluck with the last few pounds!:flowerforyou:
  • fishfish3
    fishfish3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Great inspiration! Congrats!
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Amazing difference, well done.
  • xTenaciousJx
    xTenaciousJx Posts: 555
    Options
    wow thanks for posting!! you're an inspiration!!! you look incredible. :) love all your tips you posted.
  • rehan82
    rehan82 Posts: 22
    Options
    That’s got to be the best post I have seen so far on MFP! Thanks a lot for sharing your story to inspire us all. I wish I would have done the same thing when I was 23. I am 30 now and need to lose about the same as you just did.
  • tdaddybarlow
    tdaddybarlow Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Keep killing it, killer!
  • sazzydee1
    sazzydee1 Posts: 55
    Options
    You look fab - well done!
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Check out all the ladies commenting ;)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!