New and struggling

Options
MrsAFR
MrsAFR Posts: 103 Member
Hi I'm Ami, i'm trying to lose my baby weight (which i've been carrying around for 18 months now) MFP tells me to eat 1200 calories a day but I can bearly survive on 1600 where am I going wrong. I'm in the obese catogory and weigh around 200lbs want to lose about 3 stone.

Replies

• beezerphd
    beezerphd Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi there.

First off welcome to MFP.
    Secondly, without seeing your diary it's hard to build up an idea of where your calories are going. If you make your diary public then we might be able to give you tips on things to change or alternatives.

:)
  • nlneil
    nlneil Posts: 2
    Options
    Good luck! It's definately a daily struggle.
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

If you weigh around 200lbs your calorie intake should be more then that. I currently weigh 130 and I'm at 1200 calories a day. Do you have your diet profile set to sedentary?

Feel free to add me!

Thanks!
    sheila :flowerforyou:
  • marcoscu
    marcoscu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to manage on 1200 cals a day. I have found the that for me the best way is to do as much exercise as possible to gain extras calories and also to avoid temptation by keeping as few food treats in the house as possible.
  • rcloyd5
    rcloyd5 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Try to eat more filling foods. Make sure you are getting your vegetables. They have so few calories, but are good filling foods. If you have a spinach salad, it is amazing how much you can eat for very few calories. If you get a good work out you can add additional calories!
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me and get some tips from my diary... I have the same calorie goal as you. :smile:
  • KathySue2
    KathySue2 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi. I found a nice summer drink that's not loaded with calories on Pinterest. If your a fan of Mojitos, try the Crystal Lite Mojito mix with a shot of rum and lots of ice. Also, although I tend to stray from the diet a bit on the weekends, I'm also more active with gardening, hiking, etc. Of course, I have a sit-down job, so anytime I'm away from work, I'm usually more active.
  • turquoise_elephant
    turquoise_elephant Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Eating 1200 calories a day is far too few for 200lbs, you want to be gradually decreasing them. Go to this website to find your BMR:
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
    Then, multiply it by one of the following numbers, depending on how active you are:
    If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : BMR x 1.9

The answer you get is the number of calories you would need to eat to stay the weight you're at now.
    If you decrease that by 500 and eat that number of calories each day, you would theoretically lose 1lb per week.
    Do more exercise than you currently do and that weight loss will increase further.
    You could try to make most of your meals 'clean' so lots of fruit, veg and salad with lean protein like chicken, turkey, egg whites etc, and wholegrains like beans, brown rice etc.
    Feel free to add me if you'd like any help, and good luck with your weight loss :-)