My rules for being healthier

Options
I've tried to stick to 'diet plans' in the past (e.g. Rosemary Conley, Dukan) but find that I either get bored or, because I live with my partner, I eventually want to eat nice meals together and not be eating something different to him every night! So instead, I've decided to try to come up with some healthy rules that will help me change for the longer term, and hopefully lose some weight.

Here are my rules - I'd appreciate any tips for additional rules or if people wanted to share rules of their own that would be great :)

-Drink more water (was drinking about 500ml water per day (plus other drinks), trying to increase to 1.5ltr)
-No fizzy drinks (if I'm really craving Coke, make it a diet)
-Drink less coffee (swapping to tea most of the time, max 3 per day)
-Bread at lunch only, max 2 slices per day
-Eat veg at every evening meal
-Alcohol at weekends only (wine is my downfall...)
-Zumba class once per week
-Run 3x per week

Replies

• deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    all sounds reasonable!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    You need to add in weight training there somewhere!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I've tried to stick to 'diet plans' in the past (e.g. Rosemary Conley, Dukan) but find that I either get bored or, because I live with my partner, I eventually want to eat nice meals together and not be eating something different to him every night! So instead, I've decided to try to come up with some healthy rules that will help me change for the longer term, and hopefully lose some weight.

Here are my rules - I'd appreciate any tips for additional rules or if people wanted to share rules of their own that would be great :)

-Drink more water (was drinking about 500ml water per day (plus other drinks), trying to increase to 1.5ltr)
    -No fizzy drinks (if I'm really craving Coke, make it a diet)
    -Drink less coffee (swapping to tea most of the time, max 3 per day)
    -Bread at lunch only, max 2 slices per day
    -Eat veg at every evening meal
    -Alcohol at weekends only (wine is my downfall...)
    -Zumba class once per week
    -Run 3x per week
    If you're craving a coke you're better off to drink regular coke than diet coke. real sugar is better for you than fake sugar.
    You'd also do a lot better if you drop the bread. That's a lot of bread per week.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Good rules, except I would incorporate vegetables into most of my meals, not just dinner.
  • clairyfairy247
    clairyfairy247 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    These replies are a little negative?
    Maybe some amendments could be made to the list in places but the main thing to say is:

GOOD FOR YOU!

It's not always easy to make a healthy, positive change and it's important you change everything a little at a time. Anything too drastic and you're more likely to fall off the wagon.

Well done for taking some action! :smile:
  • IllianaIman
    IllianaIman Posts: 131
    Options
    These replies are a little negative?
    Maybe some amendments could be made to the list in places but the main thing to say is:

GOOD FOR YOU!

It's not always easy to make a healthy, positive change and it's important you change everything a little at a time. Anything too drastic and you're more likely to fall off the wagon.

Well done for taking some action! :smile:

Totally agree with clairyfairy24! That's awesome that you are aware of your downfall and that you are trying to change, takes a lot of discipline and motivation to stick with it!
    However, I understand the other posts that are just trying to give you more feedback to help you. (That’s the whole point on being here, u get tips, feedbacks, encouragement….)
    Again, great job, but do add some veggies to your diet.

Good luck!
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Great for you that you are making positive changes in your life for your health. The others aren't trying to be rude like a few people said, they are trying to help you make your plan a little bit better. Somewhere in there you might want to add some strength. And like someone else said, vegetables are great with every meal. Best of luck!
  • carlatiger
    carlatiger Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone, it's OK, that's a good mix of support and challenges - I definitely need both! :)

Re the bread thing, I am struggling to think of other lunch ideas (I tend to buy a sandwich or take one to work with me) - maybe I'll do a search on here and see if there are some alternative ideas for lunch.

Also agree with increasing veggies - I guess this goes with the lunch thing, I'll have a look around and try to find some ideas of lunches that include veg. Salad I guess..?
  • clairyfairy247
    clairyfairy247 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with all the comments, I don't think anyone is being at all rude! Its awesome to get tips from everyone on here - they give great advice!

I just want to be sure the OP knows they've made a great step in the right direction and that we're all very proud :smile:
    then you can take on board other people's feedback :smile:
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I eat bread every day and lose consistently.. there is nothing wrong with bread
    Just make it wholemeal.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Also agree with increasing veggies - I guess this goes with the lunch thing, I'll have a look around and try to find some ideas of lunches that include veg. Salad I guess..?

You can throw veggies into soup, stir fries, frittatas, pastas, risottos, fritters, tacos, gratins, souffles, crepes, tarts. Or bring leftovers of whatever you made for dinner the night before... I'm actually having a hard time thinking of lunches that DON'T involve veggies.
  • lindsayforlife
    lindsayforlife Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Re the bread thing, I am struggling to think of other lunch ideas (I tend to buy a sandwich or take one to work with me) - maybe I'll do a search on here and see if there are some alternative ideas for lunch.

One of my favourite new lunches is tuna pasta salad that I make myself. Just a can of tuna, half a box of whole wheat rotini, 2 cups coleslaw mix, 1/2 diced cucumber, and 3 green onions. I sometimes add a little grated fresh parm (2T) as it is low in cals but offers alot of flavour. I mix all of these ingredients in a tub and keep it in the fridge. This makes lunch for 4 days of the work week. In the morning I just take 2 cups of the salad mix, mix it with 2 T of coleslaw dressing and chop a few cherry tomatoes and mix it all together. So yummy! Don't add the tomatoes or dressing until the day you make your lunch as it will make the rest of the mix soggy.
  • mirthegeologist
    mirthegeologist Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Awesome list!

I have the following rules:
    - If eating between meals, snacks should be healthy - ie, fruits, vegetables w/ hummus, nuts,etc
    - High calorie desserts (which are my weakness) are only for special occasions, like your birthday or anniversary. (Somebody bringing donuts to the office is not a special occasion)
    - Substitute whole grain items when possible - ie, breads, pasta, brown rice, etc
    - Before drinking a soda, have a glass of water first. Then enjoy the coke
    - Enjoy favorites in moderation - 1 glass of wine, 1 piece of chocolate, etc

Good luck!
  • 16SaKy
    16SaKy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good to hear, I have a sandwich everyday for lunch and can't imagine having to give up the bread :)

Thank you,
  • Lindalo5032
    Lindalo5032 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like to include beans with lunch and dinner. I used to be a bread addict but now only have it VERY rarely. I like to have beans for lunch and dinner because they're a great source of protein & fiber. I don't do meat very much so they are a good substitute. I get cans of pinto beans, blackeye peas, kidney beans, etc. Open the can, drain & rinse them, then keep them in a plastic container in the fridge. Can add them to salads, have them with a cheee quesadilla made with corn tortillas (fewer calories than flour tortillas). I also have them with a veggie & fruit plate for lunch. Helps keep me full longer due to the protein and fiber.
  • NoChub4Me
    NoChub4Me Posts: 27
    Options
    My rules:
    Eat less
    Move more
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Simple. I love it!
  • carlatiger
    carlatiger Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks for all the lunch ideas, I really appreciate it. I think I'll try to get back into making my lunch the night before whilst I'm cooking dinner, cos grabbing something at Tesco invariably ends up with a sandwich, chocolate bar....can of coke....