if you use a fat burnign suppliment, which one and why?

Options
mmreed
mmreed Posts: 436 Member
Im currently taking lipo6x. Seems to reduce appetite... but I dont feel much energy or burn heat. Been on it for about a week now.

Thinking about once this bottle is done - try a second round of it, or move on to something else?

those of you using them, which ones are you seeing results with?

I hear good things about hydroxycut pro elite, oxyelite, and lipo6

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    what good things do you hear?

I hear they're all kind of snake oil...
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    if you want to waste money, feel free to give it to charity instead.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Nike Vomero 7 seem to work pretty effectively for me, and so do my old asics shoes.
  • lynn_marie68d
    Options
    SHREDZ....A friend of mine is the developer. Arvin Lal ( might know his name from an extra on MTV"s the Kersey Shore)
    I workout 6+ times a week and eat clean with 1 cheat mean once a week. It gives me the extra energy I feel I'm lacking and I've noticed I burn more inches off faster/
    You can get them at AMAZON.com
  • mmreed
    Options
    while some may think they are snake oil, the basis of thermogenics is proven science. Im not looking for advice on magic pills... but advice on proven thermogenics products.

Thermogenics raise metabolic functioning using stimulants like caffeine, ginger and ephedrine. Thermogenics increase the activity of the nervous system. As your nervous system speeds up, the body's functions, like heart rate and breath rate speed up. This increase causes the body to use more energy, or calories, to keep up with increased demand. The increased demand for calories is what causes the increase in loss of body fat. Consequently making thermogenics a very popular fat loss supplement.

no, they arent magic pills that make fat melt away - wel all know that.

but they ARE viable tools - SUPPLIMENTS... that can add an edge to fat loss and workout energy levels.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I have seen no hard science to support that view. Could you provide some evidence?
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Nope, dangerous and packed full of rubbish. If those natural substances are thermogenic, just incorporate those in your diet then.
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    while some may think they are snake oil, the basis of thermogenics is proven science. Im not looking for advice on magic pills... but advice on proven thermogenics products.

Thermogenics raise metabolic functioning using stimulants like caffeine, ginger and ephedrine. Thermogenics increase the activity of the nervous system. As your nervous system speeds up, the body's functions, like heart rate and breath rate speed up. This increase causes the body to use more energy, or calories, to keep up with increased demand. The increased demand for calories is what causes the increase in loss of body fat. Consequently making thermogenics a very popular fat loss supplement.

no, they arent magic pills that make fat melt away - wel all know that.

but they ARE viable tools - SUPPLIMENTS... that can add an edge to fat loss and workout energy levels.

"Thermogenic" is code for "makes your heart beat faster".

Of course that is going to cause you to burn more calories, because your heart is working harder all the time.

It also may cause you to die suddenly from heart failure. Or possible cause heart damage that will kill you later, prematurely.

If you don't care about ruining your heart and possibly killing yourself, by all means, load up on thermogenic supplements. Personally, I avoid them because I'm trying to strengthen my body and make it more healthy. Taking stuff that weakens/harms by body would be counterproductive.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I use exercise
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    FFS - is this thread for real?
  • mmreed
    Options
    I have seen no hard science to support that view. Could you provide some evidence?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12939122

National Institute of Health
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm sure some of these things works, there's just not enough evidence of the long term effects. actually i take that back considering what happened with things like ephedra, i personally dont think losing an extra 4 pounds of fat a month is worth later health damage.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    i'm sure some of these things works, there's just not enough evidence of the long term effects. actually i take that back considering what happened with things like ephedra, i personally dont think losing an extra 4 pounds of fat a month is worth later health damage.

Just what health damage does ephedra cause? Of course, people with cardiac issues shouldn't take it because of the elevated heart rate, but is there something else that I'm not aware of?
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

Just what health damage does ephedra cause? Of course, people with cardiac issues shouldn't take it because of the elevated heart rate, but is there something else that I'm not aware of?

I think the problem with Ephedra was that it killed people who had mild cardiac issues that they weren't aware of.

Artificially elevating your heart rate is not a good idea.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I use exercise

me too! it can be expensive. having to buy new shoes occasionally after your old ones are worn out. workout clothes because you got smaller and they got too big now, also gym dues but some people don't do the gym so....
  • cgray
    cgray Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    pills scare me. I'm not a drug person, which I realize these are not exactly "drugs" you are adding something to your body. I don't know, can't stimulants cause heart problems? Does anyone use supplements like vitamins that they recommend ?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    What happens when you come off them? Does your body revert back to normal or slower thermogenesis? Do you have to stay on the pills indefinitely to maintain weight loss? Do they teach you better eating or exercise habits?
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    depends on whats in them...

Basically every substance that works is currently banned. I'm unaware of any fat burning pills that provide any significant fat burning properties.

That said most individual components of most fat burning pills are available in one form or another. So making your own ECA stack is relatively easy to do for example.
  • carysj
    carysj Posts: 22
    Options
    Back to the OP question I really wouldn't reccommend trying a second round. In fact, I'm pretty sure the information leaflet advises you to take a break after finishing the bottle.

I tried Lipox6 Black For Her last year and I lost an extra pound a weekabove what I was already losing but felt nauseous and couldn't sleep properly. My appetite was shot and I barely ate so I think that is where the additional weight loss came from. I wouldn't try them again, losing weight through exercise and eating properly is much healthier.
  • meerkat70
    Options

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12939122

National Institute of Health

That's not actually an article by the NIH (they manage pubmed). It was written in 2002. And it concludes (based on the 3 published studies it reviewed) that:

"While some evidence is promising, we conclude that larger and more rigorous clinical trials are necessary to draw adequate conclusions regarding the safety and efficacy of C. aurantium and synephrine alkaloids for promoting weight loss."

In other words, there's no hard evidence to support the efficacy of this particular bit of snake oil....

I'm not sure that you're helping your own case here....