New Rules of Lifting vs. P90X

Options
I just finished the NROLFW (the book) and have read up on it extensively here as well. I have also inherited the P90X program, and am debating what to try. They seem to be conflicting theories (rest and recovery, cardio, etc.) . My goals are to lose ten more pounds and build muscle and keep up my endurance. Background on me: I lost 97 lbs over the last year but have been stagnant with the weight loss since March. I lift with a trainer 3x a week, do cardio 4x a week, and take two karate classes a week.

Has anyone done both programs? Thoughts?

Replies

• Ginagogogo
    Ginagogogo Posts: 42
    Options
    I would to hear some feedback on this as well...
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you'll get differing opinions. I started with 3 months of P90X last Christmas. I read NROL and am currently doing a modified version of the program but sticking with the principles of the book.

P90X was great for weight loss, muscular and cardiovascular endurance, and establishing a fitness base for later lifting. Now that I'm lifting heavier weights using barbells more than dumbbells and doing more compound lifts like squats and military press, the weight is coming off more slowly but I am getting stronger much faster and my body composition continues to improve. I now focus on the tape measure and the fit of my clothes more than the number on the scale.

You can't go wrong with either program. I'd recommend doing them both. If you opt for P90X, I recommend the classic version, especially if you intend to move onto NROLFW afterwards.
  • rocky163
    rocky163 Posts: 3
    Options
    I agree with rkr22401 with the P90X recommendation. Your body has just gotten used to what you are doing. That will always happen. After, do the other workout and then go back to what you are doing now. The weight will come off more slowly but dont focus on that. Go by what you see in the mirror. If you find that the weight is coming off slowly, it may be because you are gaining muscle. If you are gaining 2 pounds of muscle and losing 2 pounds of fat your weight will stay the same but you will look much better.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    these programs are completely different so i dont know how you could do a "vs". it's like asking pizza vs ice cream sunday

NROL = heavy lifting strength training program where the focus is on building strength by progressively and continuously increasing the weights you lift

P90x = more metabolic conditioning type program that focus more on cardio

which ever one you do will depend on your goals
  • Jennifer0878
    Jennifer0878 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've done both programs. I've done P90X Lean twice, P90X Classic once, Insanity (another Beachbody program) three times and I JUST finished NROLFW.

For me, I like NROLFW best, then Insanity and lastly P90X. With P90X, I didn't lose much weight and didn't see a huge change in my body. Maybe it was my diet, but I don't know. Insanity was GREAT! It's a ton of cardio with a lot of body weight exercises. I lost more weight doing Insanity than I did with P90X. NROLFW is a long program (6 months), but I saw the biggest changes in my body while doing it. I didn't lose much weight (but I didn't have much weight to lose, as I started the program weigh 116 lbs), but I saw HUGE differences in my body. My arms, back and legs are a lot more toned and have definition. My husband has even noticed a difference in my body! I'm definitely a lot stronger after finishing NROLFW than I was after finishing P90X.

You can't really go wrong doing any of those programs. They're all great and a lot of it just depends on what you want to do, what your time limitations are, etc. Good luck!!
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have decided to go with P90X and I am starting today. My reasoning (after reading everyone's input here) is that I still have at least ten pounds to lose and that is NOT going to happen on NROL even though I know I will drop inches. So, 90 days, here I come!
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    If I could lose the last 10-15 lbs, then build muscle I'll be very happy. I really don't care so much what the scale says so long as I am seeing results, but they have been negligible since late March.

I think changing things up is going to work! I hope so.
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    I just start P90X on Sunday...:)