Calcium

Options
I've never been a fan of milk/dairy or anything like that but I thought I would track my calcium intake for a few days simply because I was pretty certain I'm not having enough of it........ Its not a lot.... I very rarely manage to take in 50% of the recommended daily allowance. Yesterday only 8% of it...

I only drink skimmed milk in tea and coffee because I don't like the taste of milk
I will eat small amounts of cheese on crackers
cream, yoghurt and Ice cream give me really bad migrane

If anyone can think of a few alternatives for me to try other than holding my nose and drinking a glass of milk a day I would appreciate it.

Replies

• mtraver88
    mtraver88 Posts: 78
    Options
    can you take the calcium+vitamin D supplements? It sounds like it would be better than suffering with migraines and foods you don't like. Good luck!!!
  • TheVeganPolice
    TheVeganPolice Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This will sound biased coming from a vegan, but trust me, dairy is NOT the best way to get calcium!
    Sesame seeds, tofu, almonds, flax seeds, brazil nuts, bright leafy greens like spinach or kale, broccoli... lots of better ways, none of which ought to give you a migrane! Dairy has a lot of allergens and hormones that cause headaches and other health issues, I'd go straight for the greens and nuts as much as possible.
    Hope this helps!
  • wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've never been much of a fan of supplements but it could be an option, I knew it was low but didnt quite realise how low my intake was.

Thank you TheVeganPolice, I shall add more of those into my diet! I love spinach!
  • mariaisac
    mariaisac Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight when I stopped eating dairy products. My blood type diet consists mostly of fruits and vegetables. I used to suffer from post nasal drip at night, and that stopped when I stopped consuming dairy products. I miss eating cheese. I am allowed farmers cheese and mozzarella. I have tried veggie cheese and it's awful....any suggestions?