I'm close to giving up.

Options

Replies

• Freyja2023
    Freyja2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It can get really frustrating when you are so close but feel like you are so far away. In the last three years I have lost 90 pounds yet find that I am fighting the last 15 myself. I have noticed that at this stage of the game it is best to keep up with your water and bump up your strength training. Now your body wants to hold on for dear life no matter how good your diet is, so you need more muscle to ramp up your metabolism. At first you won't see a big difference in the scale but you will see the inches in your tape measure coming off. That is good as it means that you are building lean muscle and with that the last 15 pounds or so will start to melt off too. They always say the last 10 pounds is the hardest to lose, but I am finding that by uping my strength it is coming off now. For the first few weeks all I saw was the inches going and the scale being the same, but now the scale is moving down again. If you want to keep walking as a your strength then try doing longer intervals or more times a week. I now walk about 1 to 2 hours a day, not always at the same time, I go in the morning and again in the evening. Or you could try a 20 minute workout and then an half hour walk on your exercise days. Also a food journal is very important now, even more so then when you started. Keep your calories to whatever you have set for yourself and chart everything. Once you have reached maintance again then you won't have to keep such a strict journal, but for now it is best. A real pain in the butt I know but seems to be working for me. Whatever you do don't fall into the temptation of trying on of those fad quick lose diets they have out there, it may seems like the answer now, but will come back to bit you in the rear later. Good luck :)
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    It is impossible to gain two pounds of fat in one week if you're eating at maintenance. You gained water weight because you changed the way you were eating. The same thing happened when you cut down to 1200.

Most people (not all) have to give things longer than one week for them to work. Usually you have to wait a month for your body to accept changes in the way you eat and work out.

Don't give up. Instead, put away the scale for two weeks and focus on being healthy, not on weighing less.

You can do it!
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Do not give up. If you keep going you can do this.
  • jlwbeans0823
    jlwbeans0823 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. I try not to let the scale rule my life. I'm not as far in to this process as you are, but I usually float between 1-3 pounds of weight loss/gain during any given month. Most of the problem is probably lifestyle for me. I agree with the above poster BryGuy2, you may want to look at your calories to ensure you're eating enough and the right kinds of food to sustain those workouts. Additionally, while you may not see the transformation in pounds you may see it in inches. Do you take measurements? Good luck and I wish you well! :)
  • laceybrobie
    laceybrobie Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I read the success stories EVERY SINGLE DAY. I find little motivation verses all the time. I have had to deal with the I want this weight off right now effect for a while. I have come to the conclusion that this weight didnt come on over night, it sure is not going to come off over night.

maybe you should see a doctor to see what is going on. Or maybe you are not buring enough calories during your workout. MFP cals I have found are way to high for me. I used them before I got my HRM and now I am seeing a different loss.

Measure your self today. Take some photos of you today. I stick to about 12-1400 calories a week. If I am going to do a crazy bike ride or something I bump it up. Try to stay away from high sodium. that will make you retain water.

I gained a few pounds when I started Insanity, but I think that was my body saying HOLY MOTHER what did you just put me through type of thing.

Try to stick with a workout program and see it through the end. I really think you should invest in an HRM though.. BEST THING I EVER DID.
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I got stuck too after about 6 months- I was doing 1200 calories a day, 1800 exercise day- About a month ago I saw a nutritionist who was SHOCKED that I had lost anything since I was eating far too few calories- he said that after 6 months, my body had gone into starvation mode (I know, I know- very controversial here, but it makes sense to me) and that is why I stopped losing. I have been ill for the past few weeks, so I haven't been able to test his theory properly, but I have been eating around 1800 and not exercising, and I haven't put any back on....

Just a thought, maybe it's time to talk to your dr or a nutritionist?

Good luck, and feel free to friend me if you want more support!
  • bpetlock
    bpetlock Posts: 109
    Options
    The scale is not the only thing that can show progress.

I am learning this! It's not easy! I have only been on here for three weeks but I feel like I should be seeing more results as well. I haven't lost a single pound but I have lost inches which makes me realize that I things are changing just gradually. Good luck to you and don't give up! Never ever give up! Look at it this way, eating healthy and exercising has never really been a bad thing for anyone so even if you don't see instant results it's still better for you. Feel free to add me if you like!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm not sure I have the answer, but I live right up the road :).

Looking back thru your diary....your calorie totals have been all over the place. What has worked best for me is picking one calorie goal and NOT eating exercise calories back. For me, that's 1800 a day. Some days I burn 550 doing cardio, some days I strength train, so my deficit is different every day but it's easier for me to stick too.

Also, you eat a lot of sodium. So do I, but that can affect the numbers on the scale with water retention. You would've had to eaten 7000 extra calories to actually gain two pounds!

Slow and steady! Sometimes it takes a while to figure out what works for you, and you have to give each "experiment" four to six weeks. Best wishes.
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 pounds really quickly when I first started at 1430 calories and some walking (about 30-45 minutes 4x week), not eating back exercise cals and then plateaued. I lowered my cals and kept up with the walking and lost 2 more pounds (still not eating back exercise cals), then plateaued again! So I lowered my cals again to 1220, eat back some exercise cals, walk less and added 30DS. Still haven't really lost any pounds- BUT I have lost inches! So I guess my point is to measure as well. I was getting very discouraged lately, and taking measurements gave me the motivation to keep going! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Over estimate your calories eaten, and under estimate your calories burned for a few weeks unless you are measuring and weighing everything you eat, and use an HRM for your calories.
    Cut sodium packed foods. Eat healthy.. if man made it- don't eat it.....

Just a quick review of your diary shows alot of sodium and some days you eat over--- mostly on days where you do not prepare your meals but eat out. It is hard to know how restaurants prepare your foods, so if I eat out, I try to order foods that are void of sauces.... that are grilled.... or steamed etc.

I have had some plateaus as well and generally it is either I was not fueling properly or I was eating more than I thought.
    You have to make changes subtlely then wait a few weeks to see what works.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Don't give up - you are so worth this journey! I think you need to change up your work out and challenge your body a bit. Maybe jog or do a workout video or boot camp class. Also stick with a cleaner eating plan. Grill some extra chicken breast on Sunday and cut some veggies up for the work week ahead. Plan your meals, using lean protein, loading on the veggies, and whole grains. Sodium would be a good thing to look at as well. Hang in there - you are so worth this!! Friend me if you like - I would love to encourage you on this next chapter in your life book! :smile:
  • GodsGirl37
    GodsGirl37 Posts: 348
    Options
    try eat more to weigh less. that has really helped me. I had been stalled at 209 pounds felt like I was going to be stuck there but then someone told me about eat more to weigh less and I wasn't eating enough so I began the process along with upping my work out. I went from 209 pounds to 185 pounds. don't give up.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    i haven't loss as much as you but i will say that WHENEVER (currently and in the past) i do reach plateaus I normally change up WHAT i eat--for example if my body is accustomed to cereal, fruit, and coffee in the morning, I may eliminate the fruit and change the type of carb I have (i.e. oatmeal, egg whites, and coffee). It seems like whever I did stuff like that, it would produce weight loss. Perhaps check what you're eating ??? Hope this helps
  • BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Try to predict the future... You could give up and think where your weight will be a year from now. Or you can keep trying.

Honestly, it seems like the choice is fairly obvious.
  • Kaczka92
    Kaczka92 Posts: 1
    Options
    Don't give up. Here's the thing. If you eat too few calories, your body will think it's starving and store sugar as fat so that it will have energy AND when you start to work out you may initially gain weight from the switch between muscle and fat. Muscle weighs more than fat but it's leaner. For example, I have not lost any weight in the past 2 months, but i've been working out about 3 times per week and i feel better, i look better, and my shorts that i couldn't fit into last year fit very nicely. However, THE SCALE DIDN'T CHANGE....annoying right?
  • ladydee78
    ladydee78 Posts: 3
    Options
    dont give up. i am new to this site but i just started on week 2 and i am down 4 lbs .. my doctor put me on a no/low carb diet.. and i should be doing cardio 1 hr per day 7 days a week but i just dont have the time. i walk for 30 min 530 am for 5 days a week. no surgar, no breads pasta or carbs only natural ones, (in fruit and vegetables) i do eat lamb and salmon , turkey bacon and eggs its very boring but i am 200 lbs and well im 196 now but i have 30 more lbs to go. i get bored easily but i am gettin married next year and i refuse to be this weight in my dress.... if u ever need to talk feel free
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6'' and I started at 160. I've had to reanalyze my goal weight because I'm "smaller" without really loosing weight. The absolute best advice I can give you is STEP AWAY FROM THE SCALE. And PICK UP SOMETHING HEAVY. You may be like me and you can't cardio the weight off. P90X and Insanity a great programs and they work for a lot of people but it may not be right for you or your diet may not match what you need it do for you. I did 4 months of class after class after class and I cut my calories and gained! I saw NO SUCCESS until I started lifting free weights. Now I'm a smaller dress size at 145 than I was years ago at 130. Lastly, THIS IS A JOURNEY. You won't see instant results. How do you KNOW a program isn't right for you is you don't stick to it? Consistency is key, especially with something like P90X that you MUST adhere to everyday. Stop looking for instant gratification. Set a plan and stick to it. Set a calorie goal, and stick to it. Most people say a month, I say try 6. And not to be harsh, but add more natural and fresh foods. I was the processed food queen, but now I hide carrots in my purse when I go to the movies. I'm loosing at 2200 cals a day, and well I can't say it's clean, but definitely cleaner. (don't look at this weekend it's an embarrassment LOL I'm a chocaholic, it's my only vice so forgive me)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Could someone please help me? I've come so far, but to not reach my goal is killing me,

I would give up if I were you.

By this I mean give up having a weight related goal. It's not really the number you care about but the associations in your mind that number represents: happiness, confidence, being attractive, slim, success etc. In reality it has nothing to do with a given number but looking and feeling a certain way and being healthy.

Ditch the scale for a while and concentrate on a fitness based goal and fueling your body to achieve it. It really depends what you like but it could be running, rowing, cycling further or quicker, increasing your lifts, being a better dancer, whatever.

If you find something you feel passionately about you will find that your eating naturally starts to adapt to reach it because you are enjoying the process and feel positively about it. You will begin eating more consciously but in a meaningful way.
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, please friend request me & read my blog, I think it might help. Hang in there, don't be wrapped up in calories, I know lots of people will give you advise, like, you're in starvation mode, eat more calories, eat less calories, do more exercise, do less exercise, BUT I SAY.... do what makes you feel happy.

PLEASE read my blog, as it will open your eyes to how different ways of dieting worked for me.

I have eaten 2400 calories a day and lost 3/4lb a week and I've only eaten 1000 calories a day (sometime less) and still lost 3/4lbs a week. I don't ever starve myself & on the other hand I never over indulge just to use the calories up.

What I'm sort of getting at is I try to mix things up to keep my dieting intresting. It works for me. I've been on my journey for over 13 months.

PEACE & Good Luck

Dieting is a life choice not a life sentence, so don't punish yourself.
  • lpekny
    lpekny Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5 and started around 170. I am down to 151. It has taken me 6 months to lose the weight. What really got the ball rolling for me was eating more protein and veggies and less carbs. Don't give up. I am thinking that this is not a diet for me but a lifestyle change. I am choosing healthier options most of the time with a few indulgences when I feel like them. I just eat smaller portions than I did before. I also eat lots of smaller meals and snacks thru out the day, so I get fuller faster if I endulge.