Question about water...

Options
In spite of restricting my diet to roughly 1200 calories and exercising more consistently this week, I've gained 4 pounds. The only thing I can think of is that maybe my body isn't used to my increased intake of water. Could that be possible? I've gone from drinking no water, to logging nearly 100 oz per day. Does it take some time for the body to get adjusted to that? Could the water be part of the weight gain?

Thanks!

Replies

• MelissaCYoung
    MelissaCYoung Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Water should not be the problem at all, usually your first week of weight loss is water weight. Could be the foods your are eating, did you eat a lot of carbs vs eating more protein and vegetables?
  • HeatherClement
    HeatherClement Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    No... my carbs were typically ok, but protein was over. I'm wondering if my scale might not have been zeroed properly when I did my initial weigh in on Thursday (didn't join the Marathon Weight Loss Challenge until then). Here's to hoping next week is better.
  • HeatherClement
    Options
    Definitely could do more veggies, though.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    IT'S BEEN A WEEK.

LETS THINK ABOUT THAT.

Be patient, be persistent. If you just started exercising especially you can expect to retain water here or there, this is normal. You will fluctuate a few pounds up or down day to day; this is normal for human beings.

Here, a gift: http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh's_Worksheet_(WIP)
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Drinking lots of water helps you shed retained water. If you have a lot of sodium in your diet though, you can retain water, also, are you weighing the same time of day, like after you wake up?
  • HeatherClement
    Options
    I think that it was afternoon when I did my initial weigh in, and then I weighed first thing this morning. Maybe I'll check it again later today?
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    IT'S BEEN A WEEK.

LETS THINK ABOUT THAT.

Be patient, be persistent. If you just started exercising especially you can expect to retain water here or there, this is normal. You will fluctuate a few pounds up or down day to day; this is normal for human beings.

Here, a gift: http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh's_Worksheet_(WIP)

Yup. don't panic. You need to see a consistent pattern - weighing at the same time of day will help.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I think that it was afternoon when I did my initial weigh in, and then I weighed first thing this morning. Maybe I'll check it again later today?

Pick a day, preferably in the morning before eating or drinking anything. Weigh in.

Do it again next week at the same day/time. If you look at the scale multiple times a week let alone multiple times a day you will likely discourage yourself by the fluctuations you will see.