Help With Hair Loss!

Options
billsica
billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
So after both pregnancies my wife has dealt with hair loss. It comes out in clumps, typically in the shower.

So she has started a collection both times by sticking it to the shower wall and leaving it there. This morning when I was stumbling around, my hairy arm connected with the hair clump and it stuck, and I was whirling around in the shower with basically a rat sized hairball on my arm. Luckily I was able to eventually remove all the parts and try to assemble them back together on the wall. I hope she doesn't notice that I was messing with it.

My question is, should I shave my arm so it doesn't create a inviting surface for the hair to attract to? Or is this just a false hope.
Alternatively. is there a food or something I can give to her to stop the hair loss? I realize this won't shrink the globs on the wall now, but it will keep it from expanding.

Replies

• p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    biotin.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    and do NOT use anything like the Rogaine or any thing like that. It will work, until you stop using it..
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    1. I would recommend asking your wife to throw her hairball away.
    2. I have the same issue. Hair falling out like crazy, so thanks for this.
    3. Don't shave your arms.
  • Lessa77
    Lessa77 Posts: 7
    Options
    The normal hair loss cycle is stopped by the hormones from pregnancy. So hair doesn't come out like it normally would and hair gets much thicker. After pregnancy the cycle resumes and all the hair (plus some for some women) that was in a frozen cycle falls out. It's normal. I have very thin hair naturally and it has thinned as I've gotten older - unfortunately that's normal too. I take biotin sometimes, use roagine when I remember, and have used Nioxin. They can keep hair from falling out and can sometimes regrow what was lost if your wife is concerned. And yes after you stop using them hair will resume its cycle and fall out.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    It has happened to me after every pregnancy and is totally normal. Tell her to toss her clump on the way out of the shower. It's pretty gross to just leave it there.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hair loss is totally natural after pregnancy because of the change in hormones. Depending how long it goes on (more than a couple of months after birth), she might want to have her thyroid checked since hair loss is one of the many signs of hypothyroidism (along with depression, weight gain and fatigue).
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    BIOTIN, IS FANTASTIC, I LITERALLY HAD 3 SMALL BALD SPOTS, PLUS THINNING HAIR, THIS STUFF HAS THICKENED MY HAIR, I TOTALLY HAVE FAITH IN IT. GREAT FOR NAILS TOO. I GET MINE AT WALMART
  • dynamicwon
    dynamicwon Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Biotin works but add a B vitamin with it to really see results. Also tell her to go to a nonsulfate shampoo Loreal makes one "Everpure" and the drugstores live CVS make an inexpensive knock-off. Wen is also nonsulfate but very expensive.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    As the others have said, hair loss after pregnancy is totally normal. Hair gets thicker during pregnancy due to both hormones and prenatal vitamins. When it falls out, it's just going back to the way it was pre-pregnancy. If she starts getting bald spots, that's not normal, but otherwise, it's ok.

But really gross that she doesn't remove them from the shower wall.
  • meglynne1987
    meglynne1987 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and it's low iron for me, she needs to see her doctor. I also take iron pills (from my doctor) as well as pre natal vitamins and it seems to help. Hope it gets better!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    She should have her thyroid checked and a general physical. Significant hair loss in women is cause for concern.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Look at all these people posting replies as if you were being serious w/ your question.
  • kej5168
    kej5168 Posts: 3
    Options
    Maybe you could shape the clump into a hamster or rabbit and give her something to smile at?
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    It has happened to me after every pregnancy and is totally normal. Tell her to toss her clump on the way out of the shower. It's pretty gross to just leave it there.

Also she should probably see her doctor and have her thyroid tested. Apparently mine had been screwed up for years (and never caught) but got much much much worse after having my son. My hair was falling out constantly, even way after my son was born.
    Finally got my thyroid tested, put on medication and the hair loss stopped.
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    TheChocolatePrincess Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    She should stop collecting hairballs....

Then, she should go to a good salon and get a good scalp treatment, stop coloring and harsh chemicals, up the vitamin E intake, and consider wearing a satin cap at night to prevent breakage. She could also get satin pillow cases.

The hair that grows in from taking those wonderful prenatal vitamins typically falls out after pregnancy. She shouldn't be overly concerned unless she finds that it doesn't taper off in a year or so.
  • ThatsNotMine
    ThatsNotMine Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Maybe try prenatal vitamins? I know girls who takes them specifically for hair health. I wonder if your wifes body misses them?

I like the doctor advise, I am not one.
  • Tara_Janel
    Tara_Janel Posts: 48
    Options
    My youngest is 16m old and I am STILL losing my hair. Its horrible I cannot even put it up in a ponytail because I have bald patches. I started taking Biotin about a month ago but it hasnt helped as of yet. Oh and all my blood work comes back normal.
  • butiflfeet
    Options
    1. Accidentally throw away the hair ball
    2. Have her take a B-Complex vitamin. The B vitamins like BIotin need each other in order to work properly. A Pre-Natal multivitamin might work too. MSM is a mineral that helps with hair and nail growth that I've been taking for the past couple of months. I think that along with the B vitamins in my multivitamin have helped slow the hair loss I was having a few months ago.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Look at all these people posting replies as if you were being serious w/ your question.

This is 100% serious.