What do you eat before a morning workout?

Options
I prefer to workout in the morning, though it doesn't always happen that way. I know I should eat something before I workout but eating a whole meal (eggs, toast, fruit) doesn't work for me. I start to feel nauseated from eating too much - I just HATE working out with too much in my stomach. At the gym, I'll usually do about 45-60 minutes of moderate to intense cardio, lift weights then do some core and stretch.

Usually I'll have a banana, granola bar OR a yogurt (but only one of these items) before I head out the door...and then a protein shake or some eggs after my workout when I get home. I would love to know what other people eat before their morning workouts! What works for you and what doesn't? Thanks :)

Replies

• Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    2-3 oatcakes, 5-10g BCAA and a preworkout drink if its too early to have eaten. If not, just my normal meals.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I usually work out in the afternoon, but on Saturdays I'm out the door at 8 am for a bike ride of approximate 30-40 miles.

Here is what works for my preride meal: I mix lean protean (for example turkey ham), cream of wheat mixed greens, chopped onion and mild peppers. It starts me out with a little protean and cards and the veggies fill me up, and I can ride for 1.5 hours before a need a banana and a Think Thin bar on the road (which may work for you pre-workout as well.).
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Nothing! Seriously, I just have a couple cups of coffee and go!
  • bpetlock
    bpetlock Posts: 109
    Options
    I don't know if this is bad but if I work out in the morning I usually don't eat before hand. But I'm talking early morning like 6 am. That's probably not good but if I do eat I feel sick while I'm working out even if it's an hour later.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If I'm doing strictly cardio, then I don't eat anything. If I'm about to lift, then I'll have two spoonfuls of honey if I have to get right out the door. If I have a bit more time to digest, I'll have 2 cups of chocolate milk or something like a Myoplex Lite drink preworkout. The only thing I'll change is when I'm on a strict cutting cycle then I won't eat before the lifting or the cardio.

Just to be clear, my situation is getting up at 5:30 and going straight to the gym which is a 5 min walk from my front door. If I didn't workout till 9 or 10am I would go ahead and have a normal breakfast.
  • dodgersprincess
    Options
    Ceral, almond milk, and fruit.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    banana, protein shake, and a coffee:)
  • lindseypro
    lindseypro Posts: 14
    Options
    banana, protein shake, and a coffee:)

For those of you that have a protein shake before a workout, do you have one after too?? I've always been told that a protein shake AFTER a workout will help build lean muscle. I don't know that I could do two shakes in one day - mine are super filling (Apexx Lite is the protein powder I buy).
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    My morning workout is usually my bike ride in to work (14 miles with some decent hills). I generally eat one slice of multigrain bread (110 calories, mostly carbs) before heading out. It's about all I can stomach that early when I've got a solid workout in front of me.

Once I arrive at work, I tuck into a jar of refrigerator oatmeal I carry in my pannier bag. So my recovery snack is my breakfast.
  • KatieSchnautz
    KatieSchnautz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't eat until after. I once heard that eating after a workout helps burn more calories. I'm not sure how true that is. I just personally do better if I eat afterwards!
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    1 small slice wholegrain bread and microwave-scrambled eggs (1 whole, 2 white) with a coffee.
    Post workout I'll complete my breakfast with a protein shake and some fruit and yoghurt.
    If I ate my whole breakfast in one go I would feel too sluggish for the day let alone a workout. I eat my meals in increasing sizes.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    When you have a protein shake makes absolutely no difference. The anabolic window is 24 hours. Eat what you want when you want as long as you hit your goals. I work out first thing in the morning most times. I sometimes eat a banana and sometimes just workout fasted. I like a protein shake after my workout but that is just a preference thing. My nice Chocolate Myofusion is the reward for getting it done! Plus a little re-hydration to boot.
  • pennypen19
    Options
    I like to workout in the morning with an empty stomach, then follow up with oatmeal for breakfast after my workout.
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I eat light if I work out early and then eat when I get home. I can't eat on a full stomach.. and with the heat, I have to get started almost as soon as I finish eating. This morning I didn't eat anything before running, then ate a big breakfast about 30 min after I rested up.
  • littleallie120
    Options
    I am not sure if this is bad, but I actually don't eat until after! I get up and start my workout within 5-6 minutes of getting out of bed, and really have no appetite at that time anyway! If I work out later in the day, just my normal breakfast consisting of eggs and fruit of some kind!
  • evansrabbitranch
    Options
    I'm really bad, I am so used to NOT eating before 11 am I am having to teach myself to eat breakfast. I am starting slow, for now most my exercise is done late afternoon through before bed.
  • grannynj
    grannynj Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm up at 5:15am and couldn't dream of gagging back anything that early. Once I get home from my walks I'll make a protein smoothie. As it turns out I haven't needed my am coffee since drinking the smoothies.
  • KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON
    KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before a workout or walking, it will make my stomach hurt. But sure ready to eat after lol
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I try to have a protein shake at least 45 minutes before a morning workout.

One of the advantages of working out in the morning is the lack of energy readily available in the blood stream and digestive track. If I go for a 4 mile run for example, organs in my body will release a series of hormones which act in the exact opposite manner of insulin, breaking down fats and proteins (muscle) in order to fuel my run.

By consuming a protein shake, my choice is hydrolized whey for the fastest absorption possible (egg protein is faster, but it's not caesin protein, you get the idea), there is protein available in my blood stream, so my body will use the protein in the blood, and not from my muscles, while simultaneously breaking down fats.

Check out this article for more detail: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/matt13.htm