When do people notice?

Options
I'm just starting so I'm not there yet, but when did you start to notice your weight loss? When did your family/friends start to notice?

Just curious! :-)

Replies

• pigote
    pigote Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    @ 25 pounds
  • mommakatmack
    mommakatmack Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like this one I found on Pinterest: It takes 4 weeks for you to notice a difference, 8 weeks for your friends and 12 weeks for everyone else to notice. Don't give up! Give it at least 12 weeks.
  • Adureeuh
    Adureeuh Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've only lost about 10lbs so far, but I can notice a small difference. I have a lot to lose by my clothes fit a bit nicer and I feel I look better in general from my diet and exercise. I haven't had any comments from anyone yet.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Sometimes they notice and don't say anything. It's awkward to mention. My sister won't ever comment on someone's weight loss because she feels saying, "You look terrific!" implies that you didn't before. And people who don't know you well may not know if you lost weight due to illness or something.

I lost 50 lbs. once and went from obese to goal weight in 6 months and sometimes someone who didn't see me along the way wouldn't even comment when they saw me 'after'.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    For me, because I had/have so much to lose, it was around the 30 lb. mark.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    For me, it was closer to 50 pounds, but that's also when I started buying smaller clothes. Now I get comments all the time.
  • housedesigner
    Options
    When you present yourself to others with confidence a good posture...for me it was 10ibs.
  • JediSwan
    JediSwan Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    My husband noticed three weeks, my friends noticed at four and I have just noticed and its week 9.
    I now see where its lost and what is left . . . I've only lost 10 lbs but its considerable when I have built
    muscle at the same time.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I dropped from 275 to 230 something before someone asked if I lost weight. I was beginning to think I was imagining it. At least they didn't ask me if I was sick.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    They will notice after you lose 5 lbs. its human nature to notice those kinds of details about the person even though that person can not tell the difference.
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    People started noticing when I had lost around 15 lbs. They knew I was working at losing though, so they were looking too.

Personally, I think everyone should take pictures once a week of their front, side, and back. Try to take pictures in the same clothes (although when I hit around 25 lbs, I had to change the clothes I took pictures in because they were too big and you couldn't see the results anymore).

Lining the pictures of side by side totally changed my opinion of the process. Recently when I hit 30 lbs lost, I gained a couple of pounds kind of all the sudden and plateaued, but the pictures show a very different story than my scale. That *I* can see where the fat is coming off is very motivating. I'm a lot less concerned by people commenting on it.

I've also found that people feel uncomfortable commenting, like they are worried about offending me if they draw attention to my size. I tell everyone who finally works up the courage to compliment me that I can't pretend I'm not 300lbs. I know I am, but I'm also 30 lbs smaller than I was when I started and I'm very PROUD of that. So they can't offend me by mentioning it. :-)

I've just started having strangers comment on it.
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    Options
    I think it all depends on how much you have to lose. My family didn't notice until I had lost quite a bit of weight but I started out with a lot to lose :laugh:

I didn't share with any of the family that I was working on losing weight so it was a blind study.
  • Syderelli
    Syderelli Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I've always heard it is usually when you lose about 10% of your start weight... that was pretty true for me
  • HisShadow
    HisShadow Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    People are just starting to notice with me.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Ive only lost 7 lbs so far - my husband says he can tell..... but I think he is just being sweet and supportive :)

I think around 20 lbs others really notice a change taking place
  • Wanderlost
    Wanderlost Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like this one I found on Pinterest: It takes 4 weeks for you to notice a difference, 8 weeks for your friends and 12 weeks for everyone else to notice. Don't give up! Give it at least 12 weeks.

I found this to be pretty accurate for me.

Weight wise, it seemed for me people really noticed about 25 - 30 pounds.
  • thedurttybride
    Options
    My husband noticed first. Then I started to give myself credit and noticed that my pants were looser. At about 10 weeks in and about 17 pounds down coworkers, neighbors and friends started commenting fairly often. Still want to lose another 30 so can't wait to hear what the comments are when I get there :) !
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    For me it was around 20 pounds when the family noticed. I still dont see a huge difference but some days I notice little things that I like.
  • laurie0507
    laurie0507 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I saw this on Facebook the other day: It takes 4 weeks for you to notice a difference, 8 weeks for your friends and 12 weeks for everyone else to notice. And I find that sometimes even when they do notice they don't comment right away. I dont know if people are uncomfortable or what.
  • TracyAnn90
    TracyAnn90 Posts: 20
    Options
    I think it depends on many factors, but height is a big one. For me the magic number as 15 lbs. I hit it last week and everyone has been commenting on my weight loss.