When do people notice?

Options
2»

Replies

• chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I agree with whoever said that is hard to mention.

Personally I would be hesitant to mention it until it really was a massive change. This is for a few reasons really...

1. as mentioned, I don't want to imply that I thought they looked bad before.
    2. I wonder if too much reinforcement might make them get a bit relaxed about it so I don't want to give them an excuse to let up.
    3. I actually probably don't notice for a long while. Some of us are just terrible at seeing when people change. Particularly when we see them regularly.
  • Asharee011
    Asharee011 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I've lost 6 pounds and people are already starting to notice. Especially my sister this weekend. She said it looks like I"ve lost TONS of inches:)
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    My family noticed at around 10-15lbs down.
  • MotivatedMom2012
    Options
    Don't take this the wrong way...but WHO CARES who noticed what when? All that matters is YOU and how you love yourself no matter what. You should be noticing it first because you are the one weighing in and measuring and wearing YOUR clothes. My hubby said something after a few weeks but I think he's just trying to get laid HAHAHAHA joking. In all seriousness - caring about what others think of you like that and needing them to notice and needing them to say, HEY you look great! So YOU feel better about yourself - means something is missing from your heart and your love for your own self :)

Measure!!! Take notice of how your clothes feel! Your opinion is the one that matters most :)
  • mgoetsch1982
    mgoetsch1982 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on each individual person and what they are doing. I had a couple of comments within the first couple of weeks even though I hadn't lost a lot of weight ( I had been shrinking though). It is a huge boost when you do get those compliments, but I've learned that it doesn't matter whether they notice or not. Just keep pushing through (even the bad days that we all have) and it will all be worth it in the end.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    hmmm, i am 14 lbs down and no one has said anything to me. honestly i feel like i look the same even though clothes fit me different now. i guess maybe in the 20s people start to notice?
  • velsbree
    velsbree Posts: 69
    Options
    10 lbs everyone noticed @ 20 I noticed... because I dropped 2 1/2 sizes drom 14 to an 8 10 from exercise.
  • loseiteli
    loseiteli Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    For me, it was closer to 50 pounds, but that's also when I started buying smaller clothes. Now I get comments all the time.

This! I just started getting a lot of comments. I think it all has to do with the way your clothes fit you...
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    People started to say things when I was down roughly 30 pounds (180).

Oddly enough, TWO people mentioned it last Friday night, even though I have maintained this weight for about a year. I attribute that mostly to better clothing.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I've read that you have to lose around 10% of your starting weight before most people will notice. That was about right for me; although my fiance and I could see it by like 10 lbs, my first unsolicited comments came at about 15 lbs (starting weight around 160)
  • BodyCombatGirl73
    BodyCombatGirl73 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've always heard it is usually when you lose about 10% of your start weight... that was pretty true for me

That was exactly for me...it was the 15 lbs. mark which was approx. 10%. Yesterday was the true "breakthrough" when my insanely athletic, little muscular 10-year old daughter told me, "your bum is alot smaller mommy"! Now you know the 10-year olds are an honest bunch, so that felt good! :happy:
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    10 lbs on me, and the noticeable part was my face. At 20 I saw it everywhere else.
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    For me it was between 25 and 30 pounds whne people started occasionally commenting - to date though, many people haven't said anything, and I expect it is for the very reasons mentioned earlier. It's a tough thing to bring up, for so many reasons!

I also have to mention that if you are still in the same clothes, it makes it hard to tell what you've lost! I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want to buy each size on the way down, so I'm waiting. Wearing the older saggy clothes kind of disguises the loss, IMHO.
  • littleblonde200
    Options
    annoyingly i have not seen anyone yet really other than my partner. he has noticed small differences along the way but i noticed for the 1st time last wednesday. Generally i avoid mirrors where possible but i was using a toilet and my daughters playgroup and i walked passed one and i must of seen something cause i walked passed and that is when it hit me that i had lost weight. i have taken lots of pictures and everytime i have a down day i take more as i can really tell in pictures x
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It totally varies from person to person. I started getting a load of comments after losing only 4 lbs. I think that was because I started out by running, and wasn't watching what I ate for the first 3 months, so I didn't lose a lot of weight, but I did lose a lot of inches.

I lost 28 lbs in all last year, and still a year on get comments nearly every day. I have dropped from a UK 12 to a UK 8.
  • ErinNichole76
    ErinNichole76 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I had someone that I see weekly notice at about 9 lbs. A friend I haven't seen in over a year didn't say anything when I visited with her last week. That was disappointing but I chalked it up to she didn't see me at my heaviest so she didn't have that image to compare the new me to. My husband says he can tell. I know some of my clothes are fitting differently but I haven't seen a change in my face yet and I'm just shy of 18 lbs now.

I'm waiting for the day I see myself in the mirror and think that its not really me. That's what happened when I finally decided to do something about my weight, I just couldn't believe that blob of a girl in the mirror was me.
  • smilingselena
    smilingselena Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i guess its diffrent for everybody, ive lost 113 pounds, everybody around me notices it, but i dont "feel" diffrent and i dont notice it as much as im going down in pant sizes, from 24-14 in my head im still over 300 pounds, so i think it is a mental / emotional thing as well
  • ThorneDust
    ThorneDust Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    What's funny is in my situation, other people actually noticed before I did. It's what made me want to continue actually. My husband had gotten laid off and I couldn't afford to eat like I had so I just had made very small changes such as not drinking calories and making all my meals at home. Apparently that was enough to make a small amount of weight come off and people at the office started saying I was looking really good and to keep up the good work (when in reality I wasn't really doing anything). So then I got serious and joined MFP and it's been going really good! Now people are stopping me a work and saying I've inspired them to do something. I wonder what it will be like when I get to healthy weight considering that I have like 100 more lbs to go. LOL
  • tomoore14
    tomoore14 Posts: 2
    Options
    It took 7 weeks before I started to get any comments.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    My husband first noticed my calves: I'd been cycling for about 3-4 weeks and he noticed that they were a lot more defined - gone the chunky stumps.

Then my friends started to notice when my face started to get thinner around the 15-20 lbs mark.

At work t wasn't really until the 40 lbs mark and I was more confident in wearing my shirts tucked in rather than hanging loose.