Won ton wrapper question...

Options
jennylea16
jennylea16 Posts: 97 Member
When you make things in the won ton wrapper how do you cook it? For instance I have some apples that I need to use up so I thought about dicing then up amd putting in the wrappers with cinnamon and sugar but do I bake it? drop it in water?

Same question with filling then with some ricotta, spinach, tomato.

Can someone please tell me? Thanks!

Replies

• Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I would bake them. they will be better baked. I guess you could boil them but it would be more like a ravioli.
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I made Crab Rangoons and used cooking spray to spray them on both sides and then baked (on parchment paper). I wasn't real happy witht the way they turned out, though. Where the won ton was wrapped around the cra/cheese filling it was fine but where it was just the wrapper it was kind of tough and chewy, not crispy. Next time I'm going to try steaming them, like a dim sum dumpling.
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I bake them. I've just started experimenting with them.
  • PatasDeGallina
    PatasDeGallina Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    We have a dumpling steamer that we use for that purpose exactly. Before we got that we'd use the regular steamer basket in a pot. Spray the basket first with non-stick spray to avoid sticking.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Steam them
  • rachel4
    rachel4 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    we bake them also! ^^ good comments here though :)
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I just went to a America-Thai wedding reception and the bride made Thai fried bananas... They were bananas wrapped in won ton wrappers and lightly fried and then drizzled with honey.... YUM... I thought about making some and baking them or just frying them in the pan with cooking spray...
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I put them in muffin tins and bake them for about 8 minutes at 350. Then take them out, stuff them, and bake some more depending on what I'm making. Using the muffin tins make them in to little cups.
  • ChelsChubzz
    Options
    i put them in a muffin pan, so theyre more like little cupcakes. fill and bake them. theyre delish!
  • Myobi
    Myobi Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it depend on whether or not you got the ones for frying or the ones for steaming? I'm pretty sure they're a little different. If it is the type for fried wontons, I'd bake it. If it is the type for steaming, I'd try steaming/boiling them.
  • rbrynsaas
    rbrynsaas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    People use them to make homemade ravioli quite a big. In that instance, you boil them like you would pasta.
  • hotjacki85
    hotjacki85 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i bake them... i usually put the in a mini muffin pan so they are more like a crab ragoon... sounds super yummy
  • Pl2874
    Pl2874 Posts: 6
    Options
    you dont have to cook the wrappers first... put the apple mixture inside the wrappers and shape how you line..i make little triangles or use two and make it look like a ravioli...then i bake for 15 minutes....soooooo good !
  • utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    i made cupcake apple pies with wanton wrappers the other night...absolutely delicious and it was only 260 calories for two. can you say, 'd e l i c i o u s?'
  • Weaz66
    Weaz66 Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options
    bump