Carbs and salt--I want to slap them.

I'm having trouble getting in all my calories, protein and fiber WITHOUT going over my carbs and sodium. I also want to get in 5+ fruits and veggies per day but the carbs in those are adding up quickly too.

What on earth can I eat that is healthy for me and will not up my carbs and salt too much???!!

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Replies

• Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Your protein is pretty low - boost that and the rest will fall into place

You probably know the high protein foods - chicken, eggs, etc

Oh and simply check your diary for high carb, high sodium foods and avoid..

Best Choice - Flour Tortillas Soft Taco Size, 2 tortilla. High in both!
  • thatTOPSlady
    thatTOPSlady Posts: 199

thanks!
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member

I agree. The flour tortillas and the banana's would be the first to go for me.....
  • wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Protein is also set pretty low on here you can increase it in the settings - I havent bothered and I'm over EVERY DAY... apart from that stick to unprocessed food as much as possible to reduce the sodium :-) Good luck!
  • albroxterman
    albroxterman Posts: 4 Member
    Go with non-starch veggies. Stay away from fruit and starchy veggies. I like to eat a combo of carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower.
  • thatTOPSlady
    I can't really see getting rid of banana just to make my numbers look good. It is a natural, unprocessed food with so many health benefits.
  • thatTOPSlady
    Protein is also set pretty low on here you can increase it in the settings - I havent bothered and I'm over EVERY DAY... apart from that stick to unprocessed food as much as possible to reduce the sodium :-) Good luck!

thanks!
  • knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    As far as carbs and sodium, I find that it is more about the combination of foods I eat in a day that make me go over 1 or the other. I am less worried about carbs unless I am crazy over. I try to stay 1500-2300 for sodium because I have a family history of early onset heart disease. If I'm having cereal for breakfast and a sandwich for lunch, I try to make sure I don't have crackers & hummus for snack and a hamburger bun with dinner. I try to preplan as much as possible, that way I just sub out until I get to where I want to be.

I just briefly glanced at today's entry, and the carb count on that banana looks really high - like double if you had 1 medium to large banana.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    I can't really see getting rid of banana just to make my numbers look good. It is a natural, unprocessed food with so many health benefits.

No you're spot on there

When your diet doesn't allow things like bananas then something is wrong. My high sodiums include carrots and milk!
  • thatTOPSlady
    Thanks everyone :)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Yeah - keep the bananas. They have potassium, and it's good to balance the sodium with potassium. Just look at your highest sodium items and try to substitute some. For example, could you find a tortilla that has lower sodium? Things that come in cans tend to be high in sodium, so try to sub those with fresher alternatives. You could swap smoked ham with unsomked ham, cut down on the cheese a little (I sympathise - I tend to go over mine with cheese!)