what am i doing wrong?

Options
I have been on this for about two weeks now, I know its still early but I havent really seen any changes. If anything I've only lost a pound or two. I've been eating a tad bit under my calorie intake and I've been exercising for 4-5 days per week for about an hour. I recently just changed my settings and saw that I seem to go over my sugar intake, I'm hoping by going under my sugar intake that I will eventually see a difference. Does anyone have an suggestions? Did this happen to anyone else when they were starting out?

Replies

• Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    We need to see your diary!
  • Chari_Jan
    Chari_Jan Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have been on this for about two weeks now, I know its still early but I havent really seen any changes. If anything I've only lost a pound or two. I've been eating a tad bit under my calorie intake and I've been exercising for 4-5 days per week for about an hour. I recently just changed my settings and saw that I seem to go over my sugar intake, I'm hoping by going under my sugar intake that I will eventually see a difference. Does anyone have an suggestions? Did this happen to anyone else when they were starting out?

You've lost a pound or 2 in two weeks. I would say you are doing really good.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    A pound or 2 in 2 weeks is completely normal! That's how I started out and continued to lose a pound a week until I hit my goal weight. Carry on.
  • corsetqueen09
    Options
    i just changed my settings lol
  • BeautyCrys
    BeautyCrys Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    A pound a week is awesome!
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    2 weeks for 2lbs is right on track. It took me several weeks to start dropping any weight initially. A pound per week is exactly the right rate of loss to have a sustainable new body! :flowerforyou:
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    from what i see, you don't eat enough and need more fat in your diet....hit 1200 cals minimum!!
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    A few questions:
    - Are you doing any cardio? That really works for me.
    - Are you measuring your body fat percentage? If you're doing any strength training, you may be trading muscle for fat, in which case, you may not see any significant weight loss, at least temporarily. This is a great site for measuring body fat using the tape measure technique (it also covers calipers, but that's very difficult to do correctly) http://www.linear-software.com/online.html
    - Are you logging EVERYTHING you consume? That's what trips many people up -- they don't log those 2 glasses of wine they have each night, or the ketchup, or the sweetened creamer they put in their coffee, or whatever. Those "sneaky calories" can really add up.
  • vampy25
    vampy25 Posts: 30
    Options
    sugar wil prob change. if u stop going over ure sugar intake, and swap for alternatives, it may help alot. sugar is still fact at the end of the day :) but 2lb a week or 2 is normal. x
  • soygurl
    soygurl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree. You are doing great! A pound a week is really all you can reasonably expect when you don't have a LOT of weight to loose (meaning 50+ lbs.). Also, you really should eat more (1200 a day really is a bare MINIMUM). When you exercise a lot, you need to eat at least SOME of your exercise calories. Your body needs fuel, or it won't function properly. Also maybe try to incorporate a few more veggies and veggies. Otherwise, just keep up the good work! :wink:
  • corsetqueen09
    Options
    thank god, i thought it just wasnt working, how long before you guys saw ur results?
  • CynthiaAnnGA
    Options
    Your doing good! Keep up your good work, 2 lbs in two weeks is great. Some weeks you will probably lose more, but at first you don't want to starve yourself. I make a cabbage soup every day & it really helps to clean you out every day. At any given day, we can store up to 4 lbs. of water weight. Drinking lemon water & eating cabbage soup throughout the day will help keep the water weight down.
  • powellr530
    Options
    It depends on your diet and what kind of working out you are doing. If you are strength training you are likely to build muscle and not lose any weight at first as the muscle is getting bigger. Also how many meals a day and how large of meals and what type of meals. Everything has to be balanced.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    You are under eating if your log is correct.

You also only have 20lbs or so to lose which means your weight loss with be slower.
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    Are you logging all of your food? 900-1000 calories is NOT going to cut it...if that's all you are eating, you are putting your body in starvation mode and it's storing EVERYTHING you are eating. Also, you are eating too infrequently, and on top of that, you are eating a lot of crap.
  • heatherina1983
    Options
    Also depends how big you are to start with, the more you have to lose, the more you are gonna lose.
  • melissam226
    Options
    First of all, 1-2 lbs a week is awesome.

I think some of the mistakes some of us make when we start is undereating, overcalculating calories and/or exercise calories, and expecting too much too soon.

You need to eat at least a certain amount depending on your body so that your body lets go of the fat AND keeps it off. So maybe up your protein, lower sugar, and try and hit your minimum calories every day? Losing a pound a week is GOOD. It means you're more likely to keep it off.

Changing your workout too may help--are you just doing cardio or are you doing weights too? And how are you calculating how many calories you burn?

Also, taking measurements and ignoring the scale is sometimes a good idea--the scale lies. But how your clothes fit and how many inches you're losing is a better measure of progress. One time I lost 3 inches off my stomach and the scale said I gained weight.

Good luck!
  • desert_rhino
    desert_rhino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are right on track. Keep going, and you'll be fine. (Do watch out for the starve/binge cycle you might be setting yourself up for with the severe dietary restrictions...)
  • powellr530
    Options
    You definately aren't eating enough or spacing it correctly. 5-6 small meals a day! Your body will hold onto fat if it feels it is not getting any more soon. If you change how and when you eat your metabolism will take over and work all day.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    You definately aren't eating enough or spacing it correctly. 5-6 small meals a day! Your body will hold onto fat if it feels it is not getting any more soon. If you change how and when you eat your metabolism will take over and work all day.

Small meals do nothing for metabolism. Meal timing and spacing has no proven scientific effect on weight loss. It is all personal preference. And your body is not going to hold onto fat if you don't eat every X amount of hours. Those sort of effects take a LOT longer to happen (like days/weeks/months). Intermittent Fasting is just as good of a weight loss method as any other.