packing for the zoo...

I usually pack a cooler with water and a sandwich for me, lunchables for the kids, and snacks like apple slices and frozen grapes.

The thing is I am tired of the same ol' .... looking for suggestions -- what else could I take?

Replies

• Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Trail mix is great as long as you have no nut allergies. Portable, yummy and filling.

Why Lunchables though?
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    When I took my students to the zoo in May, I packed an apple, protein bar, low fat string cheese and several bottles of water. It did the trick for me. :)
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    my kids aren't big sandwich eaters. My daughter is very picky. My son just doesn't like sandwiches. I was thinking this time I would give them crackers, real cheese (not processed) and some lunch meat from the deli. I feel this would be a better choice for them...
  • MdawnK
    MdawnK Posts: 8 Member
    I've packed salads, wraps, yogurt, cottage cheese, string cheese, fruits, etc. There's not many cold foods that can't be packed on ice for the trip.

If you're looking for a sandwich change up, try using thin bagels/buns instead of regular bread and change up what's inside. Chicken salad, tuna salad, veggie with honey mustard...
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    hot dogs keep hot in a thermos of hot water, bring small, whole wheat buns and choose healthy hotdogs and it's actually a pretty good meal (albeit still quite "processed") and kid friendly!
  • akadrea
    akadrea Posts: 85 Member
    my kids aren't big sandwich eaters. My daughter is very picky. My son just doesn't like sandwiches. I was thinking this time I would give them crackers, real cheese (not processed) and some lunch meat from the deli. I feel this would be a better choice for them...

This is what I wind up doing for my son....

Also, you can freeze gogurt tubes ahead of time too. Fruit, nuts, pretzel chips

For you....sushi? Hummus and carrots/pretzels, PB and pretzels/apples, protein bar, Greek yogurt