Weight gain when below calorie count

Options
What could have gone wrong when you stay below or on track with your calorie daily count and still gain 1.2 lbs?

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Water retention
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It's a temporary fluctuation. They happen all the time. Ignore it and it'll go away.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations are normal, and it's usually varying amounts of water retention. However, keep in mind that your logged calories consumed and burned are all based, to some extent, on estimates. If you see an overall trend of weight gain over a month or two, then you might need to tweak your diet and/or exercise until you figure out what levels work for you.
  • Giantess
    Giantess Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I feel your pain. I've been below my cals for ten days, and I'm up four lbs.

Both of us should "woosh" down in a few days to weeks. (last time my woosh took six weeks, and then I lost three lbs a week for three weeks).

I never have been a steady loser.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Happens to me all the time. Stalls are usually followed by whooshes :) I lose nothing for two weeks, then lose 5 in a week.
  • BrownEyedSister
    BrownEyedSister Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Lee,

I'm right there with you!

I'm eating at or below my recommended caloric intake, I'm drinking more water, I'm exercising 6 days a week and the scale won't budge.

I've been advised to up my calories and so that's my next step. It seems counter-intuitive to me as I'm trying to LOSE weight but I believe I'm doing everything else right and so I'm willing to try something to different.

Best of luck!
    Sister
  • hmoore202
    hmoore202 Posts: 15
    Options
    If you aren't taking in enough calories, then you are not going to lose weight and you may end up gaining if your body goes into starvation mode. But weight fluctuates naturally on a regular basis for a variety of factors, so don't be discouraged by a lb or two.
  • Marathonmaniacmama
    Marathonmaniacmama Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So glad to see this discussion. I too have gotten stuck at my current weight despite being at or under my calories for over a month. I believe (as a marathoner and serious exerciser) that I have actually slowed my own metabolism. I have upped my calories per day from 1200 to 1660 (before exercise) and will give that a go. Keep in mind that it may take several WEEKS to "fix" the "starvation mode" I've created for myself. So... Scary but true, time to up the HEALTHY food intake! What a great time of year to do so though: summer fresh veggies and fruits. I am totally off refined sugar and feeling much better!!
  • laurac7888
    laurac7888 Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm having the same problem! I am almost 2 weeks in and have actually gained 4 lbs! I exercise 6 days a week and have been watching my foods. Drinking lots of water and just overall being more cautious of what I'm eating. I haven't had any fast food at all or soda. It's kinda frustrating! I do feel a difference in my overall energy level but that's it! Needing advice bad!