SODIUM

Options
I constantly go over my recomended sodium levels, by 1000g, ive lost about 60lbs in the past year eating the way i eat, i keep my carbs low and protein pretty high and i find it really hard to not go over in the sodium department.

How important is it to my weight loss to keep sodium levels low? sodium isnt going to make me gain any weight so is it really that important?

Replies

• medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Sodium makes you retain water which adds to the scale, but not necessarily your measurements. The main reason I would try and reduce sodium intake is this:

The chronic high blood pressure that can occur because of too much sodium puts you at an increased risk of heart disease, kidney disease, stroke and congestive heart failure. (http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/disadvantages-sodium-2948.html)
  • EMagineBeingEMazing
    Options
    Sodium makes you retain water which adds to the scale, but not necessarily your measurements. The main reason I would try and reduce sodium intake is this:

The chronic high blood pressure that can occur because of too much sodium puts you at an increased risk of heart disease, kidney disease, stroke and congestive heart failure. (http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/disadvantages-sodium-2948.html)

^^^THIS! :)
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, it's hard sometimes, but well worth the health benefits. I slowly cut out excess sodium (most days anyways :blushing: ). Your taste buds adapt and it gets easier. I actually find a lot of things that I use to put salt on way too salty without even adding some now.
  • ClaireSD35
    ClaireSD35 Posts: 38
    Options
    Too much sodium can make you retain water (especially in your abdomen and legs). Apparently a lower sodium diet helps you with weight loss.

It can also lower your blood pressure and reduce the risk of kidney stones and osteoporosis.
  • MountainManMatt
    Options
    Sodium acts like a sponge, socking up water in the blood. At the right amounts it helps regulate the fluids in your body. Going over on sodium can cause you to retain extra water, so it can have an effect on your weight, and put extra stress on your circulatory system.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    The concern about sodium is blood pressure related. And blood pressure is important for overall long-term health.

I've found that if I eat food that I can identify as "food" - ie I can visualize it growing or walking around on a farm, it is every easy to stay under the recommended sodium limit - Fruits, vegs and lean meat are low in sodium. Processed food I can't visualize growing on a farm, so I avoid it. Follow this guideline and staying under the sodium limit is easy.

I've heard that with more exercise you can tolerate more sodium, but I'm not a Dr so I wouldn't feel qualified to say it is ok - particularly the mountain of science expressing concern about sodium.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It's not important for weight loss directly, but you need to keep an eye on your blood pressure just in case.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    ive stopped watching mine, life is so much easier/more fun now...bloodtests are good...ive been told if you are not at risk for hypertension, its not the biggest deal...hasnt hampered my weightloss at all
  • turquoise_elephant
    turquoise_elephant Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Is there a minimum amount of sodium you should have in your diet? When I log my food, I don't seem to have any sodium?!
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    My sodium used to be OUT OF CONTROL. Now, it's easily under 1300mg each day. I cut out butter, use other flavors instead of salt for seasoning, NO canned or boxed foods.... only fresh veggies and very lean meats.... AND I LOVED BUTTER AND SALT... SALT ON EVERYTHING, PLEASE!

Not anymore. I would swell up like a dead horse in August. AND I'D FEEL SUPER GROSS. Not cool.

Sodium doesn't affect weight loss, though high amounts will have your body retaining water. IT CAN cause heart disease, along with other health problems.

It's something to definitely watch.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Processed food I can't visualize growing on a farm, so I avoid it....

LOVE this!
  • jamaljohar
    jamaljohar Posts: 55
    Options
    i dont add salt to anything, i eat 3oz of beef jerky which has 1800mg of sodium alone, ontop of the other stuff i eat, i guess i can easily replace the beef jerky with a protein shake or something like that. i keep a eye on my BP and Resting Heart rate and they are both in the green thank god.

thanks for all the help guys i really appreciate it!