easy to eat lunch ideas

Options
I am looking for ideas on what I can eat for lunch. to fit into my current eating plan it needs the following criteria:

I want it to be high in vegetables (at least a full serving)
low sodium
easy to prepare and eat: when looking after my daughter it is very hard to eat/prepare a lunch)
it has to be tasty :)

I currently either eat a salad or home made soup (prepared earlier and re-heated) but would love some fresh new ideas. any suggestions?

Thanks to all you beautiful MFP people :D

Replies

• Pretendplaid4
    Pretendplaid4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    my daily lunch is 2 oz of Deli Turkey (about 60-80 calories worth), on whole wheat bread, with 1 tiny slice of American cheese, bean sprouts, and a very small amount of light mayo. It comes in at about 250 calories for the sandwich! You can pack it a day ahead too! i just wrap the turkey and cheese separately in some wax paper so they dont get mussy by the veges!
  • beachlvr
    beachlvr Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am struggling withe new ideas also, the frozen meals just aren't cuttin' it anymore. I did find these Flatout wraps that are great:

http://www.flatoutbread.com/products/flatout-wraps/flatout-light/

I just put a ton of veggies with a light spread of hummus or yogurt dip and maybe a slice of turkey or ham and it's very filling.
    Trader Joe's has these amazing fire roasted red peppers in a jar that add fantastic flavor.
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. Something I enjoy are wraps or pita pockets. I like to put in tuna salad (made with tzatziki instead of mayo) or a wrap with chicken (leftover works great) or turkey. I use hummus or tzatziki instead of mayo. To either I add things like slivered celery, sweet onion, green pepper, sliced radishes, alfalfa or bean sprouts, hot pepper rings, even chopped brocolli or cauliflower. I know that veggies are more work. To beat that, I purchased a big veggie tray at the grocery store (expensive, but I did it once). When empty I keep refilling as full as I can and it lasts us about 3 days.. so I only cut up veggies twice a week. Then, when I pack my lunch I can grab and go. If you like tuna, the mini tins (packed in water) are a great choice. You can take along some crackers, cheese, etc. Individual yogurts are a nice treat. Small containers of fruit in season works well too. I'm not a big fruit eater, but I do buy a cored pineapple once a week and chop it into several small containers, again, so I can grab and go. If you commute, I'd suggest an insulated lunch box.. freeze some water bottles for the bottom and everything keeps cold. I do have some low sodium ideas too. Bread is fairly high in sodium so I opt for reduced sodium stoned wheat thins often. Our Sobey's also has something called poppers (something like a rice cake, but thinner and shaped like a shallow bowl(19 cals no sodium, no fat). I put my egg salad and tuna salads in the bowl and break up another one for dipping in the salad. If you like cheese, but not the sodium level, try a pre-portioned size like the Laughing Cow light wedges or mini baby bels..that way, you take one and can't overdo it. Scrambled eggs in a pita pocket are good too.
    Hope these ideas help! Hang in there!