Losing weight better eating more?

just a question. i'm a little confused about how much food i should be eating. i started off eating about 1500 calories per day, and was having great results with losing weight very rapidly. then i started lately eating lower, like around 1200 calories per day, and i don't seem to be losing as fast now. is it possible that i need to eat more to lose weight better??

Replies

• nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Yes, if your working out consistently, you aren't fueling your body enough to be losing. If it was working at 1500 then go back to it!
    If it aint broke why fix it :)

best of luck to you
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Yes, if your working out consistently, you aren't fueling your body enough to be losing. If it was working at 1500 then go back to it!
    If it aint broke why fix it :)

best of luck to you

^^This! Obviously eating more was working for you. As long as it works, keep doing it! :smile:
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Why would you change what's working? The only time I change anything is after not seeing any results for at least 3 weeks.:smile:
  • I dunno. i guess i just figured if it was working good, that eating even less would work even better and faster. maybe not the best logic.
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Not quite, but if I were you, I would go back to 1500 and keep killin it with your workouts, you got this!
  • It is not just about calories. If the 1500 calories were working, how about staying with that. Perhaps try breaking down the 1500 calories into 5 meals and make sure that you are eating foods that are good in terms of the ratio of carbs (sugar & fiber), fat, and protein. If you track your meals on myfitnesspal, it is very easy to set goals for protein, fat, and sugar as well as calories. The trick is to keep your body burning calories at a higher level longer. Don't skip meals and make sure you get at least 30 minutes of high level cardio at least 3 days a week.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    It's impossible to lose more at 1500 than 1200, all else equal. You might be feeling better, logging better, moving more, experiencing lags in weight loss from prior week's deficits and any other number of effects. And those matter, too! But please don't believe there's some end-run around the laws of thermodynamics.
  • mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    definitely go back to what was working
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Anytime you make a change it might take several days for your body to adjust. But if you were losing successfully on 1500 per day, why change just to lose faster? A slow but steady loss is usually healthier and makes an easier transition to maintenance once you read goal so you are less likely to regain the weight.