Running vs. Walking

Options
I do a lot of walking at work...and I have lost quite a bit of weight..so I was wondering what you think....

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I started walking. After a while of walking, I had to walk longer and longer to get the calorie burn I wanted. So, I started C25K. I am now running 5K distances and working on a 5K210K program. I still walk though, in between my running and biking.
  • grannynj
    grannynj Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm interested in opinions as well. I have trochanteric bursitus (not exercise related) and have contemplated doing some walk/running but not until I check with my fitness trainer. Although I am just starting out with walking and weight training the walking is getting old.
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I started walking. After a while of walking, I had to walk longer and longer to get the calorie burn I wanted. So, I started C25K. I am now running 5K distances and working on a 5K210K program. I still walk though, in between my running and biking.

^^Same here.

I walk outside and have no desire to be on a dreadmill, nor do I own one. I started off with walking a couple times per week for 20 minutes. A week later, I bumped the duration and number of days up because I really enjoyed it. A few more weeks later, I was walking for 60 minutes 5 days per week. At that point, my heart rate wasn't getting as high as it used to and I didn't feel like I was getting much of a workout anymore. I decided to start doing Couch25K. I just finished Week 5 Day 1 this morning, and I've definitely caught the running bug.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I started out walking and had to start running to get a better calorie burn. I found out that I really love to run.

I run but I also walk to work. It's sometimes hard not to break out in a run during my walks (I really fight the urge lol)....but my power walking speed is close to my slower paced running speed.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to eliminate the walk to work and start running....as soon as I can find a back pack that will hold all my stuff and not bounce around like crazy.
  • rmalanisv
    rmalanisv Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I also started walking this past March. I started walking for 35 minutes and adding more time and faster walks every week or two. I got to the point of walking 70 minutes at an average speed of 4 mph (I couldn't increase speed because of shin splints). This walking routines gave an average of 600 calories per workout. Because I became fitter, every day is harder (rise you beats per minute - shin splint) to get those calories in that time frame. Now I started the interval training (adding running time to the workouts). I want to burn the same average in less time. I started on Saturday and I got 659 calories in 60 minutes. I will be increasing my speed every other week to try to get those calories in 50 minutes or less. Enjoy your ride.

Remember that walking provides lesser stress to your joints, therefore is safer. The problem is that, as you get fitter, it will take you more time to burn the same amount of calories as when you started walking.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I think as long as your moving, it doesn't matter all that much! Each person is different. I am graduate of the C25K plan, and am now using B210K, I burn far more calories running than walking. But again we are all different. If you are moving then kudos to you!!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    There is no "Running vs. Walking" - both are great!
    There are many benefits to low intensity but longer cardio sessions as there is value in shorter but more intense workouts.
    DO BOTH!
    Good Luck:drinker:
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I started out just walking and still enjoy a nice stroll in the fresh air, alone to clear my head. I also did the c25k program and love to run. I started the final week today. It's amazing what your body can be trained to do! I use a boring treadmill though haha
  • bettymustlooseweight
    Options
    What about walking 2 times a day? I walk on my lunch hour and then again after work, total of 2 hours. I can not run since I have arthritis in both knees.
  • foraubs
    foraubs Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    This thread is really great to read.

I am an avid walker, and enjoy it far more than running. However, with walking as my main source of exercise and the scale not moving in the past few weeks, I've decided to give a go at the C25K program starting this week. I'm hoping I end up like most of you and catch the running bug, too!
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    I do both. C25k graduate, and two 5ks under my belt. :) Running is great, and I plan to do it as long as I'm able but walking has it's benefits as well. Just move! That's the thing. :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I started running for the calorie burn, aerobic exercise, time outside, and bone density benefits. Also, runners who aren't dumb with their injuries typically have healthier joints later in life. It's a habit I've tried several times to get into for lifelong fitness, and so far this go-round has been my best, even with some plantar fasciitis issues (knock on wood). The benefits are many, the downsides are few, as long as you get into it gradually.
  • Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    According to my personal trainer, you burn the same amount of calories for the distance. So walking a mile burns the same as running a mile. You just have to consider the time it takes to burn those calories. I can walk a mile in 30 minutes, but run one in 10 mins. So if you have the time to do your burn with walking, that's great. If you want more bang for your minutes, then jogging or running will do it.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    According to my personal trainer, you burn the same amount of calories for the distance. So walking a mile burns the same as running a mile. You just have to consider the time it takes to burn those calories. I can walk a mile in 30 minutes, but run one in 10 mins. So if you have the time to do your burn with walking, that's great. If you want more bang for your minutes, then jogging or running will do it.

This is most definitely NOT true. I've read the same thing in the past. Perhaps for a really fit person this is true (not sure) but for the less fit of us, it's definitely false. If I walk a 5K, I'll burn maybe 350 calories. If I run one, 500+ depending on the terrain. While I know an HRM isn't perfectly accurate, it definitely shows a BIG difference.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

I wouldn't know if it was true or not, however with running I can burn those calories in less time than walking. Time is of the essence somedays! ;)
  • davidlbass
    davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    A lot of us started out walking with no intent on running. I started with a 1 mile walk. Just wanted to get to where I could walk 2 miles. Then it was 3. Decided to run one day. Got up to a mile and thought I was awesome. Started bike riding then swimming. Now I am running 25 miles/week, bike riding 70 miles/wk and swimming 2 miles/wk. Done some 5k/10K races and one sprint Triathlon. Went to watch the local 1/2 Iron Man (1.2 mile swim/56 mile bike/13.1 mile run) yesterday. I've decided I am going to do that next year. And to think, I could barely walk a mile a year ago.

So walking is great, enjoy it. Just don't be surprised if it leads to other addictive behaviours.
  • davidlbass
    davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    FYI,
    Laws of Physics states for an object to move faster requires more energy for the same distance as an object moving slower.
  • grannynj
    grannynj Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm so jealous of you runners. My SD started running in Feb. to prepare for a mud run with her co-workers. She lost 40 pounds and looks 10 years younger. Of course she also watches what she eats. Kudos to her, I'm green with envy.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Your trainer is 100% wrong http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html

however, walking briskly is a great way to exercise. There are lots of people who can't or don't like running and getting out for a good walk or spending time on the treadmill is time well spent.

Back in the late 90s I dropped about 20lbs and a couple of pants sizes just by walking (45 min per day on the treadmill) and avoiding snacks. Too bad slacked off....... but my backsliding helped me discover running......
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a walker. Don't think I'd run even if my hair were on fire. I've always been that way.