Do you eat your exercise calories?

Options

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    No way. That obviously will slow down your weight loss.

It will actually aid your weight loss. MFP puts you on a calorie deficit when you join. When you exercise you're creating more of a deficit. If you don't eat back at least most of your exercise calories your body could go into starvation mode,which could slow your weight loss or stop it all together.

I disagree with this. It is proven that the only way you will lose weight is if you burn more calories than you eat so it will ultimately slow down your weight loss. You will still lose but I don't believe it aids your weight loss.

There is nothing to disagree with. MFP puts you at a calorie deficit if you choose any goal except maintenance. That deficit does not assume any exercise. Eating your exercise calories on MFP is MAINTAINING that calorie deficit, not decreasing it.

I.E.

if I go on MFP and choose a 1 pound per week weight loss goal, MFP puts me at a 500 calorie a day deficit.

If I then go exercise for 400 calories, for that day I now have a 900 calorie deficit.

so in order to maintain the goal MFP puts me at, I need to eat back 400 calories over and above my normal calories.

This would keep me at that 500 calorie deficit and on track.

If I don't, there is the strong possibility (depending on where my health, body fat, metabolic rate...etc. all are) that I'll push my body past what it considers normal calorie intake, and it will start the process commonly referred to as "starvation mode" where the metabolism slows down, and you actually require less calories to maintain, thus stalling or at least slowing down any weight loss efforts.

Hope this helps.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I eat most of mine, for sure. Heck, that's why I started exercising - to "earn" more food! I was starving (which is the point I guess). And yes, I still lost weight while eating my exercise calories, and I'm still losing bodyfat to this day.

So what's the tally here,,,
    Nitz has lost 80 pounds, eating his exercise calories
    Vicky has lost 79 pounds, eating her exercise calories
    Casper has lost 60 pounds, eating his exercise calories
    So... what'cha think?

add me, add me!!

34 pounds and counting.............and eating every last one of my exercise cals!!
    ( I am on maintance right now and eat my full cals + exercise cals and LOST 1/2 pound...go figure!)

:flowerforyou:
  • kcfva122
    Options
    I was just looking at the exercise database - surprised to see stuff like cooking, housecleaning, and playing piano listed. I'm going to be doing all that today but it seems like cheating to add those as exercise calories.

:ohwell: Does anybody count those calories?
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    I was just looking at the exercise database - surprised to see stuff like cooking, housecleaning, and playing piano listed. I'm going to be doing all that today but it seems like cheating to add those as exercise calories.

:ohwell: Does anybody count those calories?

I sometimes do.

Beside my daily exercice routine, I am pretty sedentary (no kids to chase around, working from home on a computer) so when I spend 3 hours vigourously cleaning the windows, or gardening, I do add those activities. Cooking and piano... do they also have taking a bath and watching TV ?! :tongue:
  • loren
    loren Posts: 111
    Options

It will actually aid your weight loss. MFP puts you on a calorie deficit when you join. When you exercise you're creating more of a deficit. If you don't eat back at least most of your exercise calories your body could go into starvation mode,which could slow your weight loss or stop it all together.

I disagree with this. It is proven that the only way you will lose weight is if you burn more calories than you eat so it will ultimately slow down your weight loss. You will still lose but I don't believe it aids your weight loss.

Did you see the amount of weight lost by the people above who do eat their exercise calories?

Imagine what their weight loss would be if the hadn't eaten back their calories. I'm not arguing it doesn't work. I just think it slows down the process.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

Did you see the amount of weight lost by the people above who do eat their exercise calories?

Imagine what their weight loss would be if the hadn't eaten back their calories. I'm not arguing it doesn't work. I just think it slows down the process.

...and maintains a safe, healthy sustainable weight loss? If they hadn't eaten their exercise calories, they probably wouldn't still be on their plans.
  • loren
    Options

...and maintains a safe, healthy sustainable weight loss? If they hadn't eaten their exercise calories, they probably wouldn't still be on their plans.

Like I said earlier. When I do go over my calories I try to work off the extra calories by exercising; however, I do believe it will slow down the weight loss if you eat back your exercise calories everyday. Finish logging your calories without eating back your exercise calories and on your home page there will be a greater weight loss in 5 weeks if you do. Someone asked for input and I gave mine. I didn't mean to start a MFP argument, but if I wanted input I would want to hear what everyone's thoughts were. I would also seriously consider the people's input that aren't 150 lbs overweight.
  • BrendaLee
    Options

Like I said earlier. When I do go over my calories I try to work off the extra calories by exercising; however, I do believe it will slow down the weight loss if you eat back your exercise calories everyday. Finish logging your calories without eating back your exercise calories and on your home page there will be a greater weight loss in 5 weeks if you do. Someone asked for input and I gave mine. I didn't mean to start a MFP argument, but if I wanted input I would want to hear what everyone's thoughts were. I would also seriously consider the people's input that aren't 150 lbs overweight.

As far as I know, those people aren't 150 pounds overweight any longer, or are you just referring to me? I would want opinions of people who had lost large amounts of weight, and were successfully keeping it off over those who have lost 10 pounds or so in the last year +. Just sayin. :wink:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

Healthy arguement is good for the soul.

For me, I have lost and gained the same 10 pounds over the past 10 yrs or so. Each time I went on 1200 calorie diet and exercised each day. Each time I was a raging beyotch or exhausted. My body needed more fuel........period.

This time I went by exactly what MFP stated. I started with 2 pound loss, which turned out to be a bad idea because if you are at 1200 at your highest weight, where will you go when you are 10 pounds from goal?

Turns out I really slowed my metabolism by doing that and it took about 4 months to get it back up and running.

I can say that I have lost almost 35 pounds, I feel like a million dollars, I am healthy and in better shape than the past 20 yrs of my life.

Most importantly this journey has been wonderful!! I have made some wonderful friends who have given me great advise (and the occasional azz kickin':wink: ) and the weight is still GONE!!!

Good luck to you. You have your youth on your side and I hope you will be able to maintain after you drop the weight. You are a beautiful young lady and I wish you luck:flowerforyou:
  • loren
    Options

Healthy arguement is good for the soul.

For me, I have lost and gained the same 10 pounds over the past 10 yrs or so. Each time I went on 1200 calorie diet and exercised each day. Each time I was a raging beyotch or exhausted. My body needed more fuel........period.

This time I went by exactly what MFP stated. I started with 2 pound loss, which turned out to be a bad idea because if you are at 1200 at your highest weight, where will you go when you are 10 pounds from goal?

Turns out I really slowed my metabolism by doing that and it took about 4 months to get it back up and running.

I can say that I have lost almost 35 pounds, I feel like a million dollars, I am healthy and in better shape than the past 20 yrs of my life.

Most importantly this journey has been wonderful!! I have made some wonderful friends who have given me great advise (and the occasional azz kickin':wink: ) and the weight is still GONE!!!

Good luck to you. You have your youth on your side and I hope you will be able to maintain after you drop the weight. You are a beautiful young lady and I wish you luck:flowerforyou:

I just wanted to tell you that I was giving my opinion based on what I have experienced. That is wonderful that you have lost 35 lbs, and I'm sure that this person appreciates your advice along with mine. That was all I was saying in my previous post!
  • loren
    Options

As far as I know, those people aren't 150 pounds overweight any longer, or are you just referring to me? I would want opinions of people who had lost large amounts of weight, and were successfully keeping it off over those who have lost 10 pounds or so in the last year +. Just sayin. :wink:

Well actually I didn't start my ticker until I got to 150, but I started at 155. Does 15 lbs make my advice any better? And just so you know when you actually get down to a healthy weight range, it is EXTREMELY hard to lose so my 10 lbs is a pretty great accomplishment.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I have lost 110 pounds eating most of my exercise calories. If I don't it stalls my weightloss.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options

I find your last statement very disrespectful. You should not try to discredit advice based on weight. Why not look at progress? I lost 110 pounds eating exercise calories. I did not have as much trouble keeping a steady weightloss.
  • sparkler2112
    sparkler2112 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I eat mine if I am still hungry, if im not hungry i don't...i posted a while back and asked if i should force myself to eat them and pretty much everyone said that i shouldnt force myself to eat anything. i think the best thing to do is listen to your body and don't starve yourself-you'll never stick to your new life if you walk around hungry all of the time.

179769.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    If you were to take your MAINTENANCE calories (which are no where NEAR 1200 for ANYONE) and then do exercises to help you lose weight...then no, obviously you would not eat them back.

But, the way the MFP program works is that the goal set for you already includes a healthy deficit. You are trying to maintain this deficit, not increase it to an unhealthy range. So MFP has already deducted the proper amount of calories from maintenance to get you to your goal. By eating your exercise calories, you are keeping to that precise deficit of 500 or 1000 to lose the weight. Where many people mess up is 1) being truthful about what they eat, 2) portion sizes, 3) inaccurately estimating activity levels, 4) overestimating calories burned through exercise and 5) not using the proper nutrient balance for their particular body.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,682 Member
    Options
    I eat every single one of mine. I've lost 13 pounds in 13 weeks and have 11 to go. I'm considering increasing my calories by 250 so that I'm on target to lose 1/2 pound a week now that I'm "about" 10 pounds from my goal.
  • BrendaLee
    Options

I find your last statement very disrespectful. You should not try to discredit advice based on weight. Why not look at progress? I lost 110 pounds eating exercise calories. I did not have as much trouble keeping a steady weightloss.

I agree, her statement was disrespectful, and actually downright rude.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Ladies!!!... I agree, but sometimes it just doesn't work that way. I've been struggling for so long to get out of my rut, I've hired trainers, nutritionists, spent too much on figuring it out but nothing seems to work. ALong with following a doctor & nutritionist appointed plan and eating at least half my exercise cals, I managed to GAIN weight.
    Today I'm back to doing what I know best. I'll let you know in 2 months.
    I don't think Loren means to humiliate, or discredit anyone. I think she's just following what she knows and works for her. Everyone has their own recipe.

So, let's just step back and look where it's all coming from.:wink:
  • pawprint061
    Options
    I think every single body is different. We can ask for advice but when it comes down to it we can only go by what works for our body. I gain weight when I eat all of mine, so I don't eat all of mine. Some people lose weight when they eat theirs so they eat theirs... the only person who can decide is that person...
  • sparkler2112
    sparkler2112 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Well actually I didn't start my ticker until I got to 150, but I started at 155. Does 15 lbs make my advice any better? And just so you know when you actually get down to a healthy weight range, it is EXTREMELY hard to lose so my 10 lbs is a pretty great accomplishment.

not trying to get in the middle of this but aren't we all trying to accomplish the same goal? all of us are obviously working towards happiness whether we have 150 pounds to lose or 10 pounds to lose. the person who asked this question im sure wanted input from everyone and she can make her decision herself. so far my experience with MFP has been great, everyone is very supportive and to hear a comment about someone being 150 lbs overweight opposed to 10 pounds is very disheartening. if you arent here to give support, then you shouldnt be here to get it! okay, i spoke my peace. :heart: