Not making progress...need some help :)

Options
Can you please look at my diary & let me know what you think. I have been stalled with weight loss for the past 2 weeks & its starting to get frustrating! Should I cut anything out??

Thank you for any help!!!

Replies

• LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Is there any particular reason your on 1200 calories? Have you worked out your TDEE and or BMR?

If once you have worked those out you 'should' be on 1200 calories then try to hit that goal. Most days you are under, other than that you seem to eat pretty well and seem to be good on the protein front
  • fhsjewfro
    fhsjewfro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    try eating 200 more cals a day, increase your protein a bit, and reduce the carbs a bit, the fat looks fine
  • joeystilley
    Options
    my opinion is try not to eat your calories back on your workout days. i know that is not a popular opinion on this site but it works really well for me. i know the big scare of starvation mode but i think that is bogus.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    It looks like you started logging about 2 weeks ago? And you've lost 5 lbs? That's progress. Be patient. It doesn't come off each week in the exact same lump. Here's how my first 4 weeks went:

Day 4: Down 5 lbs.
    Week 2: yoyo
    Week 3: yoyo
    Week 4: Down 3 more

That's not a plateau in there. That's 8 lbs in 4 weeks or a normal 2 lb/week loss, which is what my deficits would suggest.
  • AmeliaHatton
    Options
    Your calorie intake seemed to be under most days, but I noticed you didn't reach your daily workout goals. I would try to focus on working out more, which will allow you to consume more calories. Make sure to switch up your workouts and also have varying amounts of calories left throughout the week. Having higher days every once in a while and then lower days other times actually helps. Your body tends to get used to things quickly and that may lead to a plateau. Tricking your body by switching up workouts and calorie intakes will force it to work harder to keep up!

But remember, 5 pounds IS progress, especially since you started myfitnesspal not too long ago. You're beautiful, and you're doing great! Just don't give up :)
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I like what you've done the last few days in eating more and countering it with activity.

Also, mcarer99 is right on. Weight loss at least in my experience is not consistent. I'd go 7 to10 days with no movement then drop 2 or 3 lbs in a day or two. I bet the fat loss was consistent, but other factors kept my weight the same (water retention, constipation - which can happen when you change your diet).

So be patient, don't worry about a 7 - 10 day plataeu. Don;t stress about it. You didn;t gain the weight overnight, you will not lose it overnight either. Stay positive.

Also, get other measurement other than weight to benchmark yourself (hip, waist, thigh, neck). I didn't do that when I started and I wish I had, it would have given me other ways of monitoring success when the weight stayed the same.
  • abell44
    abell44 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    WOW you guys are awesome! Thank you!!

mcarter99- Yes, I started my plan 3 weeks ago.
    1st week- lost 5 lbs (some of which I assumed was water)
    2nd week- gained a pound then lost it
    3rd week- gained a pound then lost it.

In the past, when I have dieted, I have consistently lost weight each week & usually pretty quickly...so for the past 2 weeks, I've been surprised when I stepped on the scale. Thank you for your supportive words to keep going!
  • abell44
    abell44 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Lottie Lou- 1200 cals was determined by fitnesspal when I entered how much I wanted to loose. I just did the BMR & the TDEE...so should I be aiming for 1378 instead? I'm so new at this & any help would be great! :)

Estimated Base BMR: 1378 Calories.
    Estimated TDEE: 2137 Calories.
    Estimated Daily Caloric Need For Weight Loss: 1637 Calories.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are doing well other than adding a couple hundred cals might help. I did not loose anything for the first two weeks. Now I have lost a pound a week since. It takes your body some time to adjust to the new way of eating. For some it is up to a month so you need to make changes slowly and give them time to process. When you loose quickly you are much more likely to put it back on so loose slowly and be patient. It might take longer than you are used to but studies show it is more likely to stick.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Lottie Lou- 1200 cals was determined by fitnesspal when I entered how much I wanted to loose. I just did the BMR & the TDEE...so should I be aiming for 1378 instead? I'm so new at this & any help would be great! :)

BMR is the minimum you should be net each day. Set your goal to something in between BMR and the 1637 then net no lower than your BMR.

Try that for at least a month and see how you go :smile:
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    up your intake calories on your workout days, starving yourself will not help you lose weight
  • sevy88
    sevy88 Posts: 3
    Options
    just a thought... it's not a typical way of thinking but...

look into Traditional Chinese Medicine regarding the Spleen... there is a lot of cold and wet going into your body first thing in the morning... this could be slowing down your digestion... try doing a warm breakfast such as oatmeal, THEN do your protein drink and and yogurt. I know this effects me big time!!

I think you are doing fine! keep up the good work!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

BMR is the minimum you should be net each day. Set your goal to something in between BMR and the 1637 then net no lower than your BMR.

Try that for at least a month and see how you go :smile:

There is no reason a person can't eat under their BMR. The sole use of BMR is to calc a TDEE est. to get an est. of what you might be able to take in to lose x lbs/week. 1200 is perfectly healthy, should you choose to go that low. You can aim for anything under 2137 and possibly lose weight, though. Pick what works for you.