BCAA Supplements

Does anyone else take BCAA supplements? If so, how long and did they stop muscle soreness? I have been taking them for about a month now and I don't get sore anymore. I push myself hard so I was wondering if it could be the BCAA's.

If you could tell me about any other benefits you've seen from taking them, I would appreciate it.

Replies

• Chari_Jan
    Chari_Jan Posts: 157 Member
    No one?
  • bfitnbfab
    bfitnbfab Posts: 79
    I don't take any BCAAs and my delayed onset muscle soreness (doms) went away in about a month after starting my weight training regimen.
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    I have noticed a HUGE difference while taking BCAAs. They definitely help with soreness. I recommend taking them on rest days as well if you're lifting heavy - your muscles are still repairing and need the extra help. I was getting headaches and feeling worn down on my rest days until I started taking BCAAs daily.
  • Chari_Jan
    I have noticed a HUGE difference while taking BCAAs. They definitely help with soreness. I recommend taking them on rest days as well if you're lifting heavy - your muscles are still repairing and need the extra help. I was getting headaches and feeling worn down on my rest days until I started taking BCAAs daily.

Good idea! I'm sure it would help also considering I don't eat as much on rest days.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Assuming adequate protein intake, supplemental BCAAs don't seem to add much extra benefit
  • JRO2685
    JRO2685 Posts: 23 Member
    I took Scivation Xtend for awhile didn't really notice any difference.
  • I take 5g BCAAs in my post workout shake immediately after I finish a lifting session. Honestly, I'm not sure if they help with DOMs, as my muscle soreness always clears up within a week (if I've just restarted lifting after a month or so hiatus). Once I'm back into a routine, I really don't get much soreness (unless I poke the muscles - they do get a little sensitive), even when I really push it. But who knows, maybe they don't get sore because I'm taking the BCAAs. Since I can't remember not taking them, I don't really have anything to compare it to.

I also take Carnitine, Creatine, and Glutamine in separate doses in the same post-workout shake.
  • Chari_Jan
    I also take Carnitine, Creatine, and Glutamine in separate doses in the same post-workout shake.

What are these for?
  • randy65273
    randy65273 Posts: 22
    I use BCAAs during my workout, and have noticed that I recover faster and I am not as sore the next day. (BCAA 8:1:1)
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    bumping
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member

You should not take creatine and glutamine at the same time.....
  • Chari_Jan

Why? And what are they supposed to do?
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member

Why? And what are they supposed to do?

Yeah, why? This is the first I have heard of this.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    I only take BCAA's prior to and during my lifting sessions. I don't feel that it necessarily keeps DOM's from coming on though.
  • spartacus69
    spartacus69 Posts: 235
    Assuming adequate protein intake, supplemental BCAAs don't seem to add much extra benefit

Alan Aragon agrees, though you probably knew that.
    _________
    3) If your protein intake is high, is separate BCAA supplementation warranted?

Alan: If protein intake is already high, then additional BCAA might only help via expectation bias/confirmation bias/placebo effect. If that’s the case, then great – kid yourself into further progress!
    _________

That said, I take them intra-workout to (1) supplement my overall protein intake, (2) because I like the taste, (3) because they've got to be better for me than gatorade, right?
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Besides whey and L-glutamine, BCAAs are the only other intra work out supplement you'll need.
  • LexyDB
    Q. You shouldn't mix creatine and glutamine because?

A. Ammonia production.

Nice try, thanks for playing
  • LexyDB
    Do I have to do everything myself?

BCAAs provide amino acids that are not naturally produced in the body. As for helping with DOMs, that is subjective but the main purpose for taking them intra work out is to help minimalise catabolism, assisting with the nitrogen balance in your muscles which is what a whey protein shake peri work out also achieves.

I find BCAAs more refreshing intra work out and save the whey post work out before eating 1hour later after that.

Besides, chicks dig purple and blue coloured drinks in the gym, it's scientifically proven to be a panty peeler.
  • Chari_Jan
    I drink them during my workout as well. I use BSN AminoX watermelon flavor and it's extremely refreshing and much better for me than gatorade. I have my protein drink after on the drive home.
  • Chari_Jan
    I only take BCAA's prior to and during my lifting sessions. I don't feel that it necessarily keeps DOM's from coming on though.

I love feeling a little sore...it lets me know that I did the work but I don't like it when I can't walk straight or sit down. LOL