Carb/Protein/Fat percentages

Options
I am changing my goals from the standard 1200 MFP gives to implement the TDEE. I was wondering what my percentages should be for carbs, proteins, and fats. I currently work out 6 days a week, running 3 days (training for half marathon) and do strength training the other days. My rest day usually entails yoga or stretching.

Replies

• josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Bumping...
  • Zvyezda
    Zvyezda Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think change it to what suits you. I've just changed mine to 40 (protein), 40 (carbs) and 20 (fat) and I've been 'in the green' since ;-)
  • josiereside
    Options
    I think change it to what suits you. I've just changed mine to 40 (protein), 40 (carbs) and 20 (fat) and I've been 'in the green' since ;-)

Thanks! and congrast for being in the green!! :flowerforyou:
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Play around with the numbers. After experimenting for a few months, 40 (Carbs), 30 (Fats) and 30 (Protein) has been the most effective and least grouchy combo for me. :smile:

PS. My diary is open so feel free to take a look.
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I think change it to what suits you.

This.

I started at 40/30/30, which is a balanced approach and it was good, but I just changed mine to 25C 40P 35F, because I plan on taking in more protein and good fats (I hope) and I just want to see how I do at 25% carbs verses 40% carbs.
  • Royaltvii
    Royaltvii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    40 protein, 30 fat, 30 carb is what I am doing.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at 20/25/55 C/P/F and it's working well for me...but I doubt this would work well at 1200 cal/day as it would give you very few C (and P).
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I think percentages are very difficult.....I prefer to aim for grams....1g protein / 1lb LBM............ .3g fat / LB. Fill in the rest and stay under on cals.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I think percentages are very difficult.....I prefer to aim for grams....1g protein / 1lb LBM............ .3g fat / LB. Fill in the rest and stay under on cals.

Isn't it supposed to be 0.3 grams per pound of total body mass in fat (not lean)?

But yeah, I do a little over 1 gram protein for every pound of lean body mass, 135grams.
    0.3 grams per pound of total body mass fat, 53 grams.

I've messed with my percentages to get as close as possible to these numbers. The rest I set to carbs. These are minimums. If I go over, great. If I go over carbs, that means I ate too many of those to get enough protein or fat which is bad.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Yes.

LBM = Lean Body Mass
    LB = pound

Protein - 1g per pound of lean body mass
    Fat - .3g per pound of weight

Isn't it supposed to be 0.3 grams per pound of total body mass in fat (not lean)?

But yeah, I do a little over 1 gram protein for every pound of lean body mass, 135grams.
    0.3 grams per pound of total body mass fat, 53 grams.

I've messed with my percentages to get as close as possible to these numbers. The rest I set to carbs. These are minimums. If I go over, great. If I go over carbs, that means I ate too many of those to get enough protein or fat which is bad.
  • this1bigdog
    this1bigdog Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    From my understanding(and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong)
    Carbs is easy to store as Fat,
    while Protein is more likely to be flushed..

and fat is just that! (although there is a difference between good and bad, what I don't know)
  • jenism
    jenism Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There is an excellent post on bodybuilding.com about calculating your macros. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

I found a spreadsheet last night that did the calculations for you, but I can't seem to find it now. My calculations and the spreadsheet put me at about 40/40/20. I'm also eating ~1200 and am 122lbs / 5'2.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Personally, mine is set to 40% Protein/ 30% Carbs/30% Fats. I'm a runner as well, and I do a lot of strength training too. My regular daily calorie intake is at 1400 although when I work out I often eat up to 1600. I've heard that the best ratio is 40% carbs/30% protein/30% fats, but I don't eat starches (breads, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc). Not for weight loss reasons or because I think low carb is the way to go, but I have a gluten intolerance and even gluten-free starches upset my stomach and make me feel lethargic.

I find that with a higher protein diet I have more energy, I'm more satisfied by my meals, and that I'm able to push through a harder workout than before. Protein is your friend!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    From my understanding(and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong)
    Carbs is easy to store as Fat,
    while Protein is more likely to be flushed..

and fat is just that! (although there is a difference between good and bad, what I don't know)

I think that only applies if you eat no fat. And protein isn't "flushed", it's burned, or oxidized.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html
  • LisaMariaCallow
    Options
    I changed mine to 40 protein, 35 carbs & 25 fat. See how that works. Good luck!!
  • josiereside
    Options
    Personally, mine is set to 40% Protein/ 30% Carbs/30% Fats. I'm a runner as well, and I do a lot of strength training too. My regular daily calorie intake is at 1400 although when I work out I often eat up to 1600. I've heard that the best ratio is 40% carbs/30% protein/30% fats, but I don't eat starches (breads, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc). Not for weight loss reasons or because I think low carb is the way to go, but I have a gluten intolerance and even gluten-free starches upset my stomach and make me feel lethargic.

I find that with a higher protein diet I have more energy, I'm more satisfied by my meals, and that I'm able to push through a harder workout than before. Protein is your friend!

Just curious, does being lower carb affect your running at all??? I also felt I needed the carbs for endurance running?? I kind of alternate lower carb days with higher carb days to some degree.
  • josiereside
    Options
    There is an excellent post on bodybuilding.com about calculating your macros. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

I found a spreadsheet last night that did the calculations for you, but I can't seem to find it now. My calculations and the spreadsheet put me at about 40/40/20. I'm also eating ~1200 and am 122lbs / 5'2.

That article made my brain spin! :tongue: :smile: