Beef Jerky - Good in protein

Options
TheTrimTim
TheTrimTim Posts: 222 Member
Heya everyone!

Unless I'm wrong, this Beef Jerky looks like it could be a good protein-filled snack to help pre/post-workout, or am I missing something?

beef_jerky.png

Replies

• SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I was on a beef jerky kick for a while - my only issue is the amount of salt and nitrates that it contains, so now it's more of a once in a while snack vs something I eat a lot of.
  • bciochetti
    bciochetti Posts: 35
    Options
    Buy a dehydrator and make your own. Super easy and then you know exactly what went into making it. Plus your house will smell like beef jerkey for days.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It really is a great protein snack, and that shocked the heck out of me. The ETNT guys listed as a top 5 healthy snack the last couple of years. Before that I thought it was basically a meat version of a Twinkie. But it turns out it's basically pure protein and it's incredibly convenient to carry. Who knew? Certainly not me.

Here's a link to one of their many posts about beef jerky. http://eatthis.menshealth.com/node/186157
  • adamlb
    adamlb Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It's great stuff, though I tend to use it more as a tasty high-protein snack during the day and have a post-workout shake.
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, I like the stuff myself!!! Me, a woman. Have you tried the Jack Links brand? They have several sizes, and a 30g package is 100 calories, 1g of fat and depending on the flavor, roughly 17g of protein. Be wary of the sodium content though, it's about 650g of sodium a package - but keep in mind, this is for the whole package!!! Nice little treat, and they even have teriyaki flavor (a personal flavor of mine) so you can go normal or good and hot, the type is up to you. And again, great in protein.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I love beef jerky and it is great protein and low carb but it is loaded with sodium. I have it at least once a week.
  • leikayli
    leikayli Posts: 11
    Options
    So happy to see this! Been spending alot of time in the hospital waiting room wondering what kind of snack can i bring thats easy & will fill me up?
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    LOVE me some beef jerky!!! I do not eat beef, haven't for over 20 years, but somehow I have managed to convince myself that beef jerky isn't actually beef. Don't ruin this for me, okay?!
  • LauraSchaller
    LauraSchaller Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    There's a Marathon Runner named Dane ... Rouchenberg (? spelling ?) and he used Beef Jerky as a protein after his races! Couple years ago he ran a marathon a week and now does a lot of Lean Beef promotions because of his love for beef jerky! It's a GREAT protein!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Love it. Really high in sodium, especially since I can plow through a whole bag in one sitting, but a great snack.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    The salt is the only concern, and well the price.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I definitely use various jerkies (beef, turkey, buffalo) to get more protein. It's delicious and works well to meet my goals. The only thing I don't like is the cost. Lol. I buy the organic stuff that doesn't contain preservatives and has lower sodium and it works out to be about $2 per serving. But it's nice to have occasionally.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    It's red meat, so of course it's loaded with protein. It's preserved food, so of course it's loaded with sodium.

A serving or two a day would be OK, but you're paying a lot of money for red meat, and adding a lot of sodium at the same time. Just buy a small steak if you want a big protein boost using red meat without the expense and the salt.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Yes! Very good snack. I'm partial to Jack Link's Beef Teriyaki. 1 oz has 80 cals/1 fat/5 carbs/14 protein.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I do use it as a high protein snack but not all the time...maybe a few times a month.
  • lynn_1972
    lynn_1972 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Moose Jerky is the best and when I make it I don't use the salt just the spice so super healthy,Moose in gereral is super healthy!!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I actually read on the Men's Health website (was looking up stuff for my bf, I'm not a secret man) that beef jerky is excellent for a protein rich snack on the go. Just have to be careful about the sodium, because your typical convenient store jerky is loaded with it. Best to find a more high quality brand that's lower in sodium and additives :smile:
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I made my own in the oven. Lots of tips online on how to do it.
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, I like the stuff myself!!! Me, a woman. Have you tried the Jack Links brand? They have several sizes, and a 30g package is 100 calories, 1g of fat and depending on the flavor, roughly 17g of protein. Be wary of the sodium content though, it's about 650g of sodium a package - but keep in mind, this is for the whole package!!! Nice little treat, and they even have teriyaki flavor (a personal flavor of mine) so you can go normal or good and hot, the type is up to you. And again, great in protein.

Jack Links sweet and hot is awesome! They are right proud of it though.....its not cheap.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Ostrich jerky is even better in protein... leaner in fat... and tastes better.