Short Females

Options
I have a question for all short females. I'm 4'11" and weigh 109 (skinny fat). MFP calculates my daily calories at 1200. I lost weight the first week at this setting but I'm not now. I suppose mine should be higher, but don't think most calculators get it right for small people. I'd like to know how other short females have theirs set and how active they are, also. I'd like to have a comparison from folks in my actual physical range. I would trust "experience" more than guessing which calculator from whatever site to use (as they all seem to come up with a different number for me). Thanks.

Replies

• MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise?
  • mowree
    mowree Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Weight training 30 minutes 4 x per week.
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would worry more about what your body fat % is than what the scale says. Keep in mind, the lower the amount of fat you have to lose, the longer it takes because the body oxidizes it at a slower rate.

Do you take measurements?
  • mowree
    Options
    No change in measurements in three weeks. In the last few days I've lost motivation with my diet. That's not gonna help me this week. I need to change my diet I'm sure...just trying to figure out what will work for me & what I should do.
  • kutterba
    kutterba Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If you're weight training perhaps you just need to stabilize for a while. You may have more muscle mass. I aree with "Rows" that fat% is probably a better indicator. Hope you're balancing out the weight training with walking.
    Also, you're young, don't sweat the small stuff; get to know your body.
    :smile:
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft and 103. My cheapie scale has my bf at 21.5% and online calculations using measurements come up with less. I have no idea the true number.

I am set on lightly active, but workout 6 days a week.

Calories are at 1610 + exercise calories. It usually ends up being around 1900. Some days a little less if my kids eat my food (happens all.the.time) and on Sundays a lot more.
  • mowree
    Options
    Thanks. I appreciate the input. I like having other's perspectives.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and 108-ish lbs. I was eating 1600 net (so 1600 + exercise calories). I just upped it last week 1800 net because my weight was very slowly dropping, which I didn't want.
  • mowree
    Options
    Thanks.
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and 114ish- no clue what my body fat is. I changed my settings so that I would net my BMR each day, b/c MFP had mine set at 1200 as well...which I think is a little low. I haven't really been losing much weight, but I have been losing inches.
  • JeceCanDoIt
    JeceCanDoIt Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 1/2" and 135. I eat 1800-2200 cal/day and have been maintaining my size for a couple months now. I'll start cutting soon for vacation and will be eating around 1500-1800 cal/day (clean) and watching my carb intake. I also perform cardio 3x week & weight train 4-5x week.

Oh measurements: 32-27-37
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'm 4' 11" as well and MFP has me at 1200 cals. I have quite a bit to lose (I'm at 137 right now). However, I went to a dietitian and she said I should be eating right around 1800 calories a day. I work out 6 days a week (3 days strength/weight training and all 6 cardio.) I do think the settings here are too low for us shorter people. I would up your calories and maybe add in some cardio. I wouldn't go as crazy as I am but it will also give you more energy to get through the day. At least in the long run. Good luck! :wink:
  • StarArly
    StarArly Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I might get backlash for this. When I have been at my healthiest and I mean exercising and not getting sick at all for months, I was eating 1000 calories a day. Sometimes a little more if I had burned too many exercise calories. I am 4'10 and I find that if I eat more than 1200 I immediately gain weight. It is different for everyone. For a couple months I tried eating 1500 and I've ballooned on the scale and in shape. I am back to my 1000 goal, I manually changed it.
  • mathteacher2010
    mathteacher2010 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi;

I am following the book "The Petite Advantage Diet"; the idea behind the diet is that shorter women do need fewer calories, as you said. It recommends calorie cycling and strength training, plus lots of protein, to keep the metabolism from slowing. I do 1100 calories a day for 2 days then then a third day of 1600.

Since the end of March, I have lost 16 pounds, and quite a few inches. I have tried everything there is, and this is the best I've done in many years. I should mention that I am 59 years old, and have still 30+ pounds to lose. I work out with TRX straps, which gives me a great workout, and I feel that this has done a lot to contribute to my success.

As far as MFP goes, it has set my daily goal at 1200 calories. I just ignore the daily warnings that I am not eating enough. BTW, if you choose your foods wisely, you can eat a ton of food for 1100 calories. I eat huge breakfasts, with tons of fruit, sandwiches or salads for lunch, and dinners of lean meats and large servings of veggies, with a snack of yogurt or nuts in the evening.

I checked this all with my doctor, who said that as long as I didn't feel weal or shaky not to worry about the low calories, as I am only 4'10". My cholesterol numbers are better than they have ever been. I realize that this may not work for everyone, but it certainly seems to be working for me! Good luck to you!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I would set it to maintain. You don't need to lose any more weight, really, you want to transform your body. Replacing fat with muscle may actually make the scale go UP a bit, which is FINE. It will also make you healthier. Exercise, especially resistance, is going to be the key to the results you want. I would do weights at least 3 times a week, possibly more (you can do different muscle groups different days). If you can only do at home, I would suggest Jillian Michaels (start with 30 day shred, then Ripped in 30), P90X, Insanity, or something like that.

I am 5'0" and, at my ideal, am about 115-120 lbs, with about 22% body fat.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I am 5'0 and about your weight. I eat 1200 on days that I don't work out (not counting a 2 mile walk) and up to 1500 calories on days that I do.

That's when everything goes according to plan, anyway. :blushing:

I've lost somewhere between 1-1.5 lbs per week since starting MFP this way, counting a couple of bad weeks and some random bad days.
  • ktfitzgerald
    ktfitzgerald Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" , 107lbs and about 21%bf. I do moderate strength training 2-3 times a week and moderate cardio 2-3 times a week. I'm just trying to improve my bf% (slow going right now due to a shoulder injury). I'm eating about 1600 calories a day. I find what works best for me body fat percentage wise, is when I maintain a high protein/moderate carb diet. But I think maybr different things work for different people.

Good luck reaching your goals!
  • mowree
    Options
    Starting today, I'm gonna up the calories to 1400 and add cardio back in 3x per week. We'll see how that goes. I really appreciate the responses. Thanks so much.
  • inkandsheep
    inkandsheep Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft3 and 132 now after losing 8 pounds since mid-April. My weight loss feels really slow but still, I'm now 8 pounds lighter and fit back into clothes that were too tight in April so I can't complain!

I have my calories set at 1200. I don't have lots of time for exercise at the moment so after light exercise I usually end up eating up to 1300 calories per day.
  • mowree
    Options
    Bump