Weighting in every day or weekly, that is the question??

Options
Hi All,

I have for as long as I can remember, weighted myself every single morning before I get in the shower. (no clothes and on an empty stomach) So, am I setting my self up for failure if I continue?

When do you all weight in????

Thanks,
Christine

Replies

• ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I hop on the scale everyday at the gym, but by that time what I ate for lunch or afternoon snack comes into play.

In the morning you could be bloated or dehydrated, causing what appears to be weight changes. Weighing in everyday I think is a good way to remind you of your goals, but follow the trend, if there is one, not the exact amounts. Don't let what appears to be a 1lb gain discourage you, it may not be real.
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every morning, and usually in the evening. I like seeing how my weight fluctuates throughout the day and how I respond to different meals. It makes me feel more knowledgeable about what my body is doing, and also helps me to not freak out if I see a huge gain overnight. I always think it's a lot better to know exactly what caused a gain/loss, than to be surprised, or to think I hadn't made progress in weeks, when in reality it was just water retention from the night before.

If you can look at the trends and patterns and not freak out if there is a gain or little change, then there's no reason not to weigh regularly. It also helps keep me on track and accountable for my meals. I don't like surprises when it comes to the work I'm putting in. Everybody has different theories, so do what works for you.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself, and record the weight, every day. It's only a problem if you become more obsessed with weighing than you're comfortable with, or if you become upset/demotivated/freaked out when you see the weight go up overnight. Weight loss is not linear, and even if you eat right and exercise every day, you will see gains on the scale from time to time. If you can't cope with that, then weekly or monthly weighing may be more appropriate.
  • amwalcott
    amwalcott Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I weigh first thing every morning. I was going to try and only weigh once a week, but I just couldn't do it. I'm glad that i didnt change my routine either. Two weeks ago I showed a weightloss on Monday(my weigh in day is Saturday), but the next day and for the rest of the week the scale showed a 1.5 pound gain. That remained even on my weigh in day, but on Sunday it showed that I had lost 3 pounds for that week. I think that if I only weighed in once a week I would have been discouraged when I saw a gain.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i've started weighing in monthly...July 1st is my first official monthly weigh in and while i am SO nervous, i'm convinced i will be happier with the results this way than i was with my weekly weigh ins.
  • BrookeOB777
    BrookeOB777 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day when I wake up, but I only log it once a week. I also do that just because I try to average the 3 days before I log in my weight to make sure I actually lost the weight and it wasn't water fluctuation :-)
  • i_miss_donuts
    i_miss_donuts Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Longterm studies of people who lost and kept off a substantial amount of weight show that daily weighing is an important factor in longterm success. Personally, it makes me crazy but it also keeps me in line and motivated to make healthy choices. Also, if I don't weigh daily my water weight gains can mask overall losses.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day but usually just record once a week. Mind you, I recorded an extra WI this week when I hit a new milestone *proud*
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, before and after each workout to ensure that I rehydrate sufficiently.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Check your weight weekly at the very most. Your body fluctuates so much day-by-day due to numerous reasons. More so than weighing, start measuring yourself with tape instead. :smile: Or at least as well as - measure each fortnight or even just once a month.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself, and record the weight, every day. It's only a problem if you become more obsessed with weighing than you're comfortable with, or if you become upset/demotivated/freaked out when you see the weight go up overnight. Weight loss is not linear, and even if you eat right and exercise every day, you will see gains on the scale from time to time. If you can't cope with that, then weekly or monthly weighing may be more appropriate.

THIS^^^ I weigh in at the gym 3-4x a week under almost exact conditions ( same breakfast, same outfit--I have multiples). I have learned to not be upset for more than a minute about what the scale says. Today, after eating Chinese food last night, I was up 0.8lbs from Friday. I logged it even though it is just a blip on my radar. Tomorrow I will weigh in again and probably be 1lb lighter.
  • chrismamao
    chrismamao Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! I completely agree with you olyrose! My daily weight-ins work for me but I have to get better at managing my "up" mornings. :happy: I appreciate the stats I_miss_donuts! It helped validate my routine. And Congrats mrsbigmack! Accomplishing your goal feels so good.

I appreciate everyones' feedback and support! Best wishes to everyone on their weight loss journey!

Christine
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    this has been discussed here a lot and i have read many of the posts in previous topics. for the first two months or so, i weighed in daily. and i was losing weight most of the time, so it was a great motivator for me. would get discouraged on those days i didn't like what the scale said. but in trying to figure out what i can and can't eat and how much of it, i found tracking my food and weighing daily was very helpful to know what was working and what wasn't. now that i feel i have a better grasp on that, i weigh myself every few days or even weekly. i can tell, without getting on the scale, if it is going to be higher or lower than what it read last time, so i don't necessarily need the scale to tell me the good or bad news.

perhaps it depends on what stage of your journey you are on...

good luck.
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works for you. I used to weigh myself only once a week as per Weight Watchers that I was doing for my first few months, and now I pretty much weigh myself everyday. It helps keep me motivated. I don't "check in" my weight everyday, I do that only when the weight stays the same for a few days to a week. I do know that does not work for everyone. Do it, and see. If it doesn't work for you then stop.