Trying Hard and Gaining

Options
So for the past week I have been trying hard. There have been a couple days that I have gone over, but most I am under by 50 calories or so. My daily limit is 1200 so even when I go over 50-100 it shouldn't be that big of a deal. So I have gained over 3 pounds. What the heck is that about? I don't get it and I am getting so frustrated. What is happening? I hate feeling this discouraged so early on, but I have read success stories where people are losing much more and consistently and I don't get it. I can't eat any less than what I am already eating. Should I be eating different things?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you've just recently started or increased a workout, it's not unlikely to gain a little as your muscles absorb water to help them heal. It could also be hormone fluctuations or high sodium or any number of other things, but unless you're eating an enormous amount of calories over your maintenance then you're gaining water weight not fat. Drink lots of fluids to help your body flush the excess and the scale should start to head in the right direction soon.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    It's probably water retention. If you don't drink enough water (8oz is recommended, but if you're working out, then you should add more) it will make you swell up.
  • Meechellea
    Options
    Watch your carb and sugar intake. When your glucose levels rise because of these foods, that's what your body burns. But when you don't take in these foods or limit them you body has no choice but to burn the fat in your body. I went through the same thing your going through but then I change my carb limit, drank more water and exercised more and the pounds starting dropping again.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    If it's only been a week, you will need to give it more time. Personally, I saw the most dramatic gains when I shifted my macros to be much less carbs overall, greatly reduced the grains, and added lot more protein. Wasn't even calorie counting, just eating better stuff.
  • kerr2010
    kerr2010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I haven't started a new workout or anything. I just checked my sodium intake and it is usually under what MFP suggests. I am trying really hard to balance any sugars/carbs with proteins and fats. I do not want to get rid of all of my carbs (I try to get them through whole grains, fruits and dairy) I don't want to cut out all cards because my dietician (when I was pregnant) said that if you cut carbs completely your body starts to turn other nutrients into sugars and that is really bad.

I think I will up my water intake. That is the only place I can see where I am totally lacking.