Is Anyone Done With Working?

Options

Replies

• BlindFath
    BlindFath Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm going to take what may well be an unpopular viewpoint here.

I think that if you are fit and able to work then you should be damned grateful. I went through a pretty bad road traffic accident a few years ago that has now robbed me of nearly all of my independence; including the ability to work full time, then part time and now I cannot leave my house without a wheelchair and people with me.

I get that people have days where they feel that work is a drag and they would rather be at home pursuing their hobbies or spending time with family and I totally understand that.
    What I don't understand is the negativity:
    "My job is so boring"
    "My job doesn't challenge me anymore"
    "I hate working"
    "My days are just so dull these days"
    "The job is alright but the PEOPLE I work with"
    "I would rather stay home and do nothing"
    "I hate the rat race"
    "I hate 9-5"

If the job is dull or doesn't challenge you then take steps so that it's more interesting or maybe think about taking a course that challenges you when you're not working.
    If the people you work with annoy you then figure out why they annoy you and either learn to deal with it or find some common ground so that they annoy you less.
    Hating the rat race and working 9-5 is pretty much just tough noogies; as is wanting to stay home all day. That's life, pretty much and to be really honest I would actually give anything to be able to get up and go to work even if it was just for 2 hours a day. But I can't and it riles me no end when I hear people moan and complain about how annoying/boring/mundane/etc... their job is.
    Just be thankful you CAN work and if you're really red up then look for something different.

And don't get me started on people that stay home claiming benefits when they don't really need to.
    Ridiculous.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I was...and then I got laid off, lol. I'm back in school (which is a lot effing harder than I remember ten years ago!) and hoping to be able to work in a field I actually ENJOY instead of barely tolerate at some point :)
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    2 Thessalonians 3:10 He who does not work, shall not eat.

I taught that to my first graders to encourage them to complete their work before snack time! :) it worked!!!! and when the school I worked at closed, God reminded me what I taught and gave me this position that I love!!!! I get tired, but all in all, I love working with the children! :)

I suspect many parents of grown, nonworking children wish their children had learned that scripture. How about this one? Col. 3:23-24 (NIV): Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance.

I remind myself of that one when I'm doing work I'd rather not do. I like variety, which made the military a good choice for me. I currently substitute teach (a variety of students, schools, subjects), prepare tax returns (a variety of clients and tax situations/challenges), and operate a small farm. I agree that variety is the spice of life!
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options

They live on about half the income they had before, and just downsized to compensate and are just doing great.

This is an interesting and important point, I think. If we're honest, many of us could afford to work less if we were willing to maintain a "simpler" lifestyle.

My husband and I made it a point to live well within our means partly because we saw how my grandparents did it. It's so nice having money to save and money to travel. We would never have that with a bigger house or newer fancier cars.

That being said, some people really can't do that. People with lots of kids and a low-income just don't have that luxury. I think my husband and I are very fortunate here that we don't have kids at the moment and make enough to live this way.

That's fabulous! I'm just beginning to get to that point (though I have never been one for true excess, I have plenty of areas in which I could stand to cut back!). Soon the only debt I will have will be my student loan (ughh) and I will be in a position to start overpaying so hopefully I can enjoy retirement someday, too! :laugh:
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options

I think that if you are fit and able to work then you should be damned grateful. I went through a pretty bad road traffic accident a few years ago that has now robbed me of nearly all of my independence; including the ability to work full time, then part time and now I cannot leave my house without a wheelchair and people with me.

I get that people have days where they feel that work is a drag and they would rather be at home pursuing their hobbies or spending time with family and I totally understand that.
    "My job is so boring"
    "I hate working"
    "I hate the rat race"
    "I hate 9-5"

If the job is dull or doesn't challenge you then take steps so that it's more interesting or maybe think about taking a course that challenges you when you're not working.
    If the people you work with annoy you then figure out why they annoy you and either learn to deal with it or find some common ground so that they annoy you less.
    Hating the rat race and working 9-5 is pretty much just tough noogies; as is wanting to stay home all day. That's life, pretty much and to be really honest I would actually give anything to be able to get up and go to work even if it was just for 2 hours a day. But I can't and it riles me no end when I hear people moan and complain about how annoying/boring/mundane/etc... their job is.
    Just be thankful you CAN work and if you're really red up then look for something different.

And don't get me started on people that stay home claiming benefits when they don't really need to.
    Ridiculous.

I believe people need to work (I think what's largely at issue is how "work" is/should be defined). And I honestly do reflect on how blessed I am to have working limbs and the faculties that allow me to do so. I am very sorry for your misfortune. Truly. But it doesn't lessen or negate anyone else's circumstances, or even invalidate their feelings. We all struggle in different ways. Life is hard.
  • festeris
    festeris Posts: 14
    Options
    I find this thread interesting? In short, I've been on disability for the past seven years with NO apparent cure for my health issues. Nothing terminal mind you, but not able to work. Through some miracle I was admitted to the hospital and while I was there was cured.

Now, what do I do? Do I go back to work? Do I stay on SSI even though I'm well? I was seriously considering returning to the rat race but all your posts remind me of how I too felt just seven short years ago. I can't even imagine getting hired at 50 years old with a seven year gap in his work history. :( Even if I say I was sick for seven years, do you really think I will get hired? (Except for maybe a fast food joint) I feel they would see me as a relapse risk.

Sorry to rant it's just that this topic hits right at home for me...thanks for posting it! I've got a lot of thinking to do!

So you're healthy and able to work, but you don't think you'll go back simply because you don't want to?

This shouldn't even be a question. How about you get a job and stop making us who do go to work pay your way. It shouldn't matter what type of job it is, just do it.
    It's one thing if you couldn't go due to health, but this is completely ridiculous.
    This type of mentality is what's going to do this country in.

Er...uhmmmm...genius. I'm not on welfare. I am on SSI, which I've been paying into the system for over 25 years. So YOU aren't paying crap for me! And if you read my last post, I will go back to work when my doctor's clear me. I pray to God that YOU and yours NEVER have to deal with the health issues, loss of income and humiliation that I've had to endure.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

"My job is so boring"
    "I hate working"
    "I hate the rat race"
    "I hate 9-5"

Ridiculous.

So, you have to hide and troll to provide your unpopular view? You're a coward is what you are, and probably a liar too.
  • BoxingCoachMo
    BoxingCoachMo Posts: 420
    Options
    The guy above is obviously from the UK. i agree with his way of looking at things.

I don't mind working, its a good social for me but i hate the stresses that management have put on me for the last five years.

As i wanted to quit i made a plan in 2011 to ensure i had enough money saved up and a revenue stream so i could quit :).

Problem with people is that they whinge too much rather than doing something about things they don't like in their life.
  • BlindFath
    BlindFath Posts: 3
    Options
    So, you have to hide and troll to provide your unpopular view? You're a coward is what you are, and probably a liar too.

How am I "trolling" and "hiding"?
    If I was "hiding" I would not have posted my thoughts in public.

I don't see how I am a "coward" either; again if I was, I would be saying things like this in private; rather than speaking truthfully and opening about how I feel.

I don't have to prove anything to you (or anyone else) to show that I'm honest.
    To be frank, it's pretty sick that you have to accuse someone with a disability of lying about it just so that you can act childishly towards them without proof or knowledge of their situation.

:smile:
  • skinniejeanz
    Options
    I like working and don't envisage giving it up until I'm good and ready (or rich and not in need of a work income). Even if I could give up paid employment I would still want to go out and do something - probably voluntary - as I'd need a reason to get up and get going each day. I don't believe it's good for anyone to be confined to the home all day and night.

There are days when I don't feel like working, of course, like everyone and there are always personality clashes but that's normal. The benefits outweigh the downside, though, and having a job is very good for the self-esteem.

I've often heard people say they can't work because of some disability or other but I don't get that at all. Surely, if you can get out of bed and move - even a little - you can go and do some kind of job? Permanent wheelchair users can sit in their wheelchairs at a workstation just as well as they can sit in their wheelchairs at home can't they? You don't have to be able to walk to be able to work. People with one of these fatigue syndromes who are able to walk around the home and maybe undertake some tasks or spend time using a computer, can do this in a place of work also. It doesn't have to be full time work either but it's got to be better than spending your life in bed or doing nothing. Inertia breeds inertia.

I once knew an elderly gentleman who had some weird-named arthritic condition. He couldn't walk unaided and his whole body was somewhat twisted and stiff but he made sure he went out each day and even managed some voluntary work. I had a lot of respect for that man - he refused to give up. Unfortunately, there are those who use their disability as a means to avoid work and will come up with a store of excuses for not finding or keeping a job. These people should not be given benefit handouts so easily but they should be encouraged to go to work even for a few hours a week.

Of course, if a disability or illness is so debilitating that you cannot move at all or function, mentally, or use any equipment at all then that's a different story. But plenty of the "disabled" are not actually in that category.

Sorry, but there are some right idle beggars out there and I don't enjoy paying my taxes to keep them in their accustomed laziness!
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Yes Im done...... Honestly, the only work I want to do from hear on out.... Is..... straightening my towel and picnic basket at the beach. You know.. that place that has sand, and a ocean with waves... Some people talk about it, when they talk about.......something called a annual or semi annual vacation... Whats that? Whats a vacation? I don't know, Im too busy working... And my Dad never took one... so I never learned.

Yes... I have a few severe health conditions... My spine, my neck. FM, arthritis, Osteopenia.. Cronic pain. Depression, BDD.. I do it everyday. I go to work, I endure thru the pain everyday... 2 car accidents, 1 severe horse accident... Half my body has been broken. Its taken a long time to feel half human... It used to take me 3 hrs to get ready for work, being my right arm couldn't lift above my head, and every right posterior rib broken in multiple places, broken collar bone.... I'd like to stay home on many days still, because I hurt everyday. I still go everyday. After my horse accident I was completely disabled for 2 months, then I did half days... The doctor put me on modified work duties about a year ago, working 6 hrs per day, which was really 7. And now Im back to 8 hrs per day, which is really 9... Pretty good I think. I do 2 moist heat and stretching sessions per day w/ medication, just so I can make it thru my work day.... Then I get home after work, and do more work...

Pretty good I think.... This is only until I win the lottery.... Then I will be on permanent VACAY. On the beach. :tongue:
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I love my job and I love working. I hate the pay that I get. That's the only part that makes me wake up in the morning and think "Is it really worth it?"
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I became a stay at home mom after losing my job. It's been 3 1/2 years now and i'm going crazy! I can't wait to find a job!
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I mean its only temporary, but I LOATHE working at dunkin donuts. Putting in my two weeks tomorrow.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I'm so done that you don't even know. I just simply don't want to work anymore. I get out of bed, and spend 30 minutes or so convincing myself that it's going to be an awesome day. I get to work and tell myself I'm going to kill it and do my best. Then I go home at night and think, "That was the biggest f'ing waste of my life ever." Then, I do it all again the next day. I don't hate my job, I just hate working. I don't think there is any job in the world I would be happy doing. I just don't want to have to work or report to anyone ever for any reason anymore.

Does anyone feel the same way, or is it just me?

BEST profile photo ever. YES, I love my job actually, BUT I would rather be doing fun outdoors, summery stuff than sitting here working!!!!
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    at 47 yrs old i can totally see where your comming from. i feel the same way, but i think its because my job is horrible and ive worked horrible jobs since i was 15. i honestly cried when i got called into work today.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    i'm pretty sure all the OCCUPY people are done with working. Complaining and mooching seems to be more rewarding.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I would be happy as a writer/researcher (they pretty much go together). I have no intention of spending the rest of my life doing what I hate and I won't. But first things first, got to get out of this miserable, hot, pollen-filled region before I can do anything at all. The way I feel physically every day here is disabling, even though I used to be okay. When I was younger and had more energy, go figure.
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I felt this way and would cry regularly because I hated work so much. Now that I'm currently not working (looking for a job though) I wish I hadn't left. Oh the irony, lol.
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I like my job alright, and I think I"m pretty lucky to have it. Sometimes I need to work some long hours, but it's got a lot of very nice to have parts. Ie, I can work late to late and don't have to be in at an ungodly 8am. But I'd still often rather be doing a lot of other things. If I won the lotto I'd travel all over, learn a bunch of instruments, go to music camps and things, oh and big sci fi conventions, and take language classes, and buy some nice house on a lake (not a huge one, just a nice one with trees and a screen porch where I can't hear the neighbors band practice) and paint all day or do crafty things, or cook like a big mess of Thai food and invite everyone over. If I somehow became independently wealthy and didn't have to work, I think this whole health/fitness/weightloss thing would be much easier too..I'd have plenty of time to work out, cook home made healthy things AND do all this other stuff I want to do.