5 pound weight gain..what???????

Options
I upped my calories to 1200 after a very low calorie diet....I understand the water weight gain and am eating more to weigh less....but a 5 pound weight gain is really upsetting and I can't see to get my head around it EVEN after knowing the facts and doing this for 3 weeks now. Is there a drop coming?

I have my diary private and haven't been on much ...I guess I just need some hope from others who have gone off a 1000 calorie diet into MFP's 1200 calories. I follow Tom Venuto's BFFM formula and I am wheat free and low carb for health reasons...

don't be mean, I am sensitive! LOL ...I need support and am willing to take suggestions from those who have success ....

thanks in advance! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I can guarantee you that it's not FAT gain, if that helps! Not at 1200 calories/day. It's water. Ignore it. Ditch the scale.
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting weights or working hard to make muscle, then you've probably succeeded.

Muscle weighs more than fat.

It would help ease your mind I'm sure, if you logged in daily, kept track of your activity & eating.

Might even help if you kept up with your measurements.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting weights or working hard to make muscle, then you've probably succeeded.

Improbable while eating at a deficit. Strength training will help you maintain your lean muscle mass while eating at a deficit (you'll lose a higher proportion of body fat) but it's very unlikely to experience an increase in LMM.
  • sophiathedss
    sophiathedss Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I like that..ditch the scale...yes I log everything and my measurements as well...77 pounds gone through a REALLY low calorie diet, probably will take awhile to start losing again...thanks! :)

OK I will wait it out...it's such a mental twist to see that scale move back up! GRRRRR

11269213.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    how are your measurements? have you lost inches?

it could just just female stuff too (i see everyone blaming that so i figure i'll toss that out there for ya)
  • sophiathedss
    Options
    how are your measurements? have you lost inches?

it could just just female stuff too (i see everyone blaming that so i figure i'll toss that out there for ya)

no inches lost or female stuff this week :( but thank you
  • brewerin
    brewerin Posts: 2
    Options
    My weight can fluctuate as much as 5 pounds in a day depending on how hydrated I am. It also takes your body awhile to adjust after being on a super low calorie diet. In the long run you will still lose weight if you're eating at a deficit.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    did you eat an extra (besides your daily normal intake) 17,500 calories? Probably not! Wait 2-3 days then come back and see what happens! :P
  • sarah3333
    sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing! And almost didn't stick with it because it was really hard seeing the scale go up but it took me a little over a month of sticking with it before I started losing. So now I am eating 1200 calories a day AND losing! I never thought I could do this. I have been under 1000 for years. It was so worth it! Good luck!
  • sophiathedss
    Options
    did you eat an extra (besides your daily normal intake) 17,500 calories? Probably not! Wait 2-3 days then come back and see what happens! :P

LOL that puts it into perspective for sure! thanks ;)
  • sophiathedss
    Options
    I did the same thing! And almost didn't stick with it because it was really hard seeing the scale go up but it took me a little over a month of sticking with it before I started losing. So now I am eating 1200 calories a day AND losing! I never thought I could do this. I have been under 1000 for years. It was so worth it! Good luck!

cool ...thanks, that gives me hope...I will stick it out for as long as it takes :)
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I went from 1000 to 1100 and lost weight, then I went to 1200 and lost weight. For me only increasing a 100 more a day for two weeks has worked out well. Today I was gonna increase it another 100 but there is just too many things going on this weekend so I decided to wait on increasing again. Hang in there
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    An extra 200 cals per day Wont make u gain weight....
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It also takes your body awhile to adjust after being on a super low calorie diet. In the long run you will still lose weight if you're eating at a deficit.

^^This. And what's been said about water retention.

Are you in the Eat More Weigh Less group? There's fantastic info about this issue there.
  • sophiathedss
    Options
    It also takes your body awhile to adjust after being on a super low calorie diet. In the long run you will still lose weight if you're eating at a deficit.

^^This. And what's been said about water retention.

Are you in the Eat More Weigh Less group? There's fantastic info about this issue there.

No, but I have been reading their posts religiously! ;)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It's not fat, as others have said it'll just be water-weight. It's the opposite of when someone starts on a diet and has a big loss in the first week. Also, to get to 1200 cals, you're probably eating a higher volume of food than you were before. More food is in your system, so that will add a little scale-weight too.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories to 1200 after a very low calorie diet....I understand the water weight gain and am eating more to weigh less....but a 5 pound weight gain is really upsetting and I can't see to get my head around it EVEN after knowing the facts and doing this for 3 weeks now. Is there a drop coming?

I have my diary private and haven't been on much ...I guess I just need some hope from others who have gone off a 1000 calorie diet into MFP's 1200 calories. I follow Tom Venuto's BFFM formula and I am wheat free and low carb for health reasons...

don't be mean, I am sensitive! LOL ...I need support and am willing to take suggestions from those who have success ....

You know when people have a big weight loss in the first weeks of dieting, and it's usually water weight?
    Well the reverse can happen when the depleted glygogen gets replaced.

It's ony water, and it's ony temporary. Good luck.

http://www.justinowings.com/understanding-bodyweight-and-glycogen-de/
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    the scale is a crude instrument, with a long standing big calorie restriction, you may have slowed down your metabolism, but you're on the right track now. keep at it. eat well, exercise well, ignore the scale for a while, and watch your body improve.
  • Philis64
    Philis64 Posts: 27
    Options
    I'm guessing the low calorie diet caused you to lose a good bit of water weight. Now you are regaining that water. The weight you lost on the super low calories diet was not real fat loss, so don't feel bad. Pick up where you are and eat a reasonable calories level to lose real weight (ie - lose fat)
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options

I would eat more if I were you. I eat 2130 per day... I just started the eat more plan and 1200 cals in not eating more... (sorry, but true) This may have been asked before... Do you know what your BMR is? You should never go below your BMR for dieting. I have only lost .5 pounds, but my pants are falling off me now, I have definitely toned my body by eating more and working out. Check out the Eat More 2 Weigh Less group. it has alot of info and answeres to the program. Good Luck! :)