My new scale hates me...

Options
Qatsi
Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
More accurately, my old scale was lying to me, and my new scale refused to play along.

A couple weeks ago, I thought I'd hit a major milestone. According to my scale, I was down 55 pounds, which was the halfway point of my weight loss journey. I was maybe a week or two away from hitting the 200-pound mark for the first time in 15 years.

I decided to pick up some new clothes - I've gone from a 44 to a 38 waist, and have dropped one full shirt size since starting MFP. While at Target, I decided to pick up a new scale as well. The old one would sometimes display an error, and I'd have to step on it two or three times to get a reading. Replacing the batteries didn't seem to help it. I knew full well that the two scales would be calibrated differently, and that I might end up giving back a couple of pounds. But I'd been making really good progress, so I figure any variation would be a minor blip on the progress chart.

I got the new scale home, unpacked it and stepped on it.

Wait, that CAN'T be right.

I stepped off, and stepped back on. Same number. Stepped on the old scale for comparison. After a couple tries, it gave me a number that was nearly TWENTY POUNDS LESS than the new scale. I was NOT expecting this! Needless to say, that was a pretty crushing blow for me.

Logically, I knew that I hadn't suddenly gained 20 pounds overnight. But mentally, it was hard for me to get over the idea that I was back to the weight I THOUGHT I was at two months prior. It felt something like this: I'd been running a marathon, and when I got to the halfway point I found out that the finish line got moved back another ten miles.

I was thinking (hoping?) that maybe the NEW scale was defective, so I went to my gym for another opinion, and then to Bed Bath & Beyond, where they had several scales out as floor models. Sadly, they all pretty much confirmed that the new scale was accurate after all.

This had me feeling pretty discouraged for a few days. I had to keep telling myself that this wasn't a real setback, and the higher number on the scale in no way negated all the hard work I've done to get to where I am today. Eventually, I finally had to accept the new number as my current reality, and that I had 75 pounds to go instead of just 55.

The biggest problem I've had since then is not knowing whether the old scale was always off, or whether it had just recently gone bad. I thought I had been losing at a quicker rate over the past three months, but that rate seemed to be in line with my increased exercise and the fact I had gotten more diligent about my calorie goals. It was unsettling for me to not know where I stood with my progress.

I realize I could draw a line in the sand and reset my ticker, but part of what motivates me is seeing that number reminding me how far I've come. And while I could have just assumed that the scale was ALWAYS 20 pounds off and reset my STARTING weight to reflect that and keep the "55 pounds lost" message, that didn't feel honest to me. I decided to wait till my next doctor's appointment to figure out where I really stood.

That appointment was today. Since I didn't have a weigh-in at my doctor's office until a few weeks after I started MFP, I have to extrapolate a little bit. But my best guess is that I started about five pounds heavier than what my old scale said I did, and that the old scale got progressively worse over the following six months. So I'm adjusting my ticker based on that.

I have to admit - it's a bit of a bummer seeing that smaller number again on the ticker, and accepting the fact that I wasn't losing quite as fast as I thought I was. But I'm not going to let this break my resolve. I'm still in this for the long haul, and I'll be damned if I'm going to let a $30 piece of glass and plastic derail me.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to take that lying old scale out back and go all "Office Space" on it.

Replies

• mandamommy3
    mandamommy3 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    That sucks, but focus on the fact that, like you said, you're clothing has still gone down in size majorly. So it's not like your hard work has been for nothing. Way to go on your loss so far and keep it up!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i had to chuckle at your post because i finally broke down and bought a scale just before joining here. got it at jcpenny. actually took it out of the box at jcpenny, took my shoes off and got on. LOVED the number it told me so i bought it! got home took it out of the box, stripped down this time (clothes add pounds lol) and GAINED weight! scales are EVIL! if i could take the scale to jcpenny every morning, strip down and weigh myself to get that magically number again i would but then i would end up on the 5:00 news.

look at it this way would you rather find out NOW or later when you thought you hit your goal
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    That sucks...and is the reason I'm not buying a new one! If it makes you feel better, id bet your scale was off all along. That mightnot make you feel better though lol
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    You got this! Love the office space referrence.
  • MissAmyB80
    MissAmyB80 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I agree with Omma...I would assume it was always off and reset your starting weight 20 lbs higher.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    ha ha ha! I'm glad you found some Office Space humour in the situation. Please have the music playing in the background as you baseball bat it to death.

Also, good for you for not letting it get you down. Like you said, it's just glass and plastic.
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    Believe me, I would have LOVED to just add 20 pounds to my original starting weight and be done with it. But I didn't think that was an honest assessment.

I've had three weigh-ins at my doctor's office since starting MFP. I hadn't been keeping close track of those numbers since I was using my home scale as my primary reference. But today I compared those weigh-ins against my same-day home weigh-ins, and after factoring in variances due to clothing, I could see that the old scale started a little off and got progressively more inaccurate, particularly between the March and June visits.

It's important for me to know how much I'm REALLY losing, so that I can make adjustments as needed. I need to accept the reality of a slower weight loss - otherwise, I'm just kidding myself.
  • spudlovie
    spudlovie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    No matter what, you are still doing great !! Be proud and iI hope you beat the s@*t out of that scale
  • simplysassi
    simplysassi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I love your attitude. This was more than a let-down, this was flat-out BRUTAL. But you're right... you can't let a piece of plastic derail you. Just remember you are better and stronger than that scale. Now go beat the living sh** out of it and post us some pics of it all pulverized into bits.

:laugh:
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, the SAME thing happened to me this week. My scale was off by ten pounds. What a blow to the ego!! I'm still not over it. It's so hard. I adjusted my weight on MFP and every time I finish calculating, it used to say "in five weeks, you'll weigh 149!!" now it says 159. :'/ SO Discouraging. But we just have to get up, recognize what we HAVE lost, and keep truckin!!! It's made it really hard for me to stay motivated, though. :/
  • PennyLorraine
    PennyLorraine Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Awww, that would be so frustrating!!! Hang in there!
  • alumpoflard
    alumpoflard Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You are a great inspiration, and I'm so glad that you have taken this set back on the chin and carried on regardless..makes you even more inspirational in my book!
    At least you get to celebrate all over again when you hit half way again :drinker:
  • babsbrack
    babsbrack Posts: 20
    Options
    i had to chuckle at your post because i finally broke down and bought a scale just before joining here. got it at jcpenny. actually took it out of the box at jcpenny, took my shoes off and got on. LOVED the number it told me so i bought it! got home took it out of the box, stripped down this time (clothes add pounds lol) and GAINED weight! scales are EVIL! if i could take the scale to jcpenny every morning, strip down and weigh myself to get that magically number again i would but then i would end up on the 5:00 news.

look at it this way would you rather find out NOW or later when you thought you hit your goal

LMAO i nearly fell of the chair with laughter, i think it was the visual of someone stripping down naked in JC pennys and jumping on a scale that did it.....

Im not from the states but i have been in JC Pennys lol and i would think they are quite a conservative store LOL thats what makes this visual even more hilarious
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    If that happened to me, I would jump off the bridge.
    WTG for being strong and congrats on your weight loss.
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!

It doesn't really matter what number is on the scales as long as it's a lower number each week, then you know you're losing weight!

My scales had been playing up too, so we bought some superduper high fallutin' ones that cost an arm and a leg - I weighed EXACTLY the same on them, even down to the ounce, so that was a waste of money! My doctor's scales always make me around 5lbs less, even though I generally get on them at the end of a day, fully clothed with a stomach full of food.

Just watch the figure go down, that's all you need!

PS Have fun smashing the old scales to pieces!
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    LOVE the office space reference! !! Have @ that scale! !!

I know it is disappointing & frustrating but it really does not take away all of that hard work! ! That was all you.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Just goes to show that the scale, while it means a lot to most of us, is worthless. If you are in smaller clothes, feel and look better and are shedding fat, that's all that really matters.

But yet the scale still matters....it's a cruel cycle.
  • CopyCat97
    CopyCat97 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yes, finding a good accurate scale is hard.

I went back to using my old digital scale because it was more consistent and weighed me closer to the digital one at my gym. I have had 2 newer scales and the new ones have been odd. One of them weighed me at different weights every time i stepped on it. Not like, i weighed myself in the morning and got a different weight at night. I mean, step on, step off, reset, step on. It would weigh me up to a 20 lb swing than the previous measurement. The newest one is not as bad in consistency, but it has a 3 lb swing either way.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Well I bought new scales early in my journey because my old ones could register 5-7 pounds difference in the matter of 2 minutes. Yeah like someone else said I bought one of those super duper high faluting models that gives you more info than you ever know what it means. But happily my ending was a bit different, my scales were right in sync with my Dr office and the YMCA's. I had an early dr appt yesterday morning so i did a peek weigh-in (not my weigh-in day) and was happy to see they were still in sync with shoes, clothes, etc. the same.

The good news is you are losing weight and it's a blasted shame to have the darned scale lie to you. I just reached Onderland a couple of weeks ago and I can only imagine how bad I would have felt if I found out the darned thing was 20 pounds off.

Do what we do we ineffective products, we take our car and run over them. i dont know how many lap tops we've destroyed that way after buying a new one. I run over it several times to give me satisfaction for all the times it was so dang slow, crashed, or whatever.

Whatever you do, stay on your journey, remember it's not a race, it's a lifetime commitment.
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Think how many calories you'll burn smashing up those scales.

Kick their *kitten*!