Need Some Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
Believe1213
Believe1213 Posts: 24
edited May 10 in Introduce Yourself
Im a thirty-three year old mom of three kids ages 11,12,14. Ive been with my fiancee for fifteen years and we are planning our wedding for next September 2013. I dont want to be a unhealthy bride, I want to be around for my kids as they grow older. I know that it is goin to take awhile to loose this weight cause lord knows it took four years for me to put it on. LOL !! Im looking for people to help me give me the truth about what I log and not be afraid to give suggestions on how to break my bad habbits, ONe that I know is goin to be hard is POP thats all I drink I dont eat that much I just drink my calories, I would appreciate any help u guys may have for me. I am also starting college in the fall I am going for nursing my rn bsn. So alot of new changes My health is the main one I have to get it under control.

Replies

• babykaileybeth
    Options
    Congrats and Welcome!! I'm pretty new also, but love this site. I do have a bit of advice that helped me when I quit my pop habit. Crystal Light makes something called Energy in those little tubes that you mix into your water. I love the citrus. It has caffiene in it and it helped me keep from getting headaches after stopping the pop. At first i had one diet pepsi first thing in the morning and then water all day long, sometimes with the crystal light, sometimes not. Either way, I drink LOTS of water!!! Good luck.
  • babygirlrootie
    Options
    I have found once you kick the caffeine addiction, you can drink carbonated water from Walmart. They have one flavor - coconut/pineapple that I am addicted to. I have two cups coffee in the morning and drink at least three of these waters per day. Each one has 33.8 ounces so I am getting in my 8 cups of water a day and with the carbonation, you can trick your mind into thinking you are drinking a carbonated drink such as a Coke or Pepsi. Hope this helps.
  • Believe1213
    Options
    Thank you guys!!!!!!!!!!! I have been telling my kids im done buying the pop and my youngest looked at me today and said "mommy y do u keep saying that u know u will not stop, We r not suppose to lie" So today when i went shopping i didnt buy any pop. BUt when my fiancee got home he went to the carry out and got pop for him and the kids and its driving me nuts lol. Any advice on how to get the other half of ur family on the same page as u?
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys!!!!!!!!!!! I have been telling my kids im done buying the pop and my youngest looked at me today and said "mommy y do u keep saying that u know u will not stop, We r not suppose to lie" So today when i went shopping i didnt buy any pop. BUt when my fiancee got home he went to the carry out and got pop for him and the kids and its driving me nuts lol. Any advice on how to get the other half of ur family on the same page as u?

That's the key, don't have it in the house. Eventually not consuming it will become habit. For me it was beer. I love a good IPA. So I just didn't buy it. A month ago a had a bunch of people over for a deck party, they left a ton of beer, I haven't opened a single one and don;t want to...that's the power of habit.

BTW - I drink a diet Dr Pepper nearly every work day. I don;t believe in complete self denial, just moderation.

I don't have your family situation, so I don't have much experience there, but I'd have a heart 2 heart with the fiance, tell him how important it is (at least in the short run) to eliminate temptation from the home - at least until you can form new habits. How he responds would certainly inform my decision regarding marring him.

Good luck, feel free to contact me if you wish. I'll give you my honest opinion - although I'm no expert. I just know what works for me.
  • mishimouse101
    mishimouse101 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on committing to healthy changes in your life!

Just today, I was doing some research on flavored waters. I get bored with just water myself, and this would be a fun way to shift from the sodas to something healthier and maybe get together with your daughters a couple of times a week to try new recipes. The basics are to take one to two cups of sliced fruit to two quarts of water and a sprig or two of herbs. You muddle the fruit a bit before adding the water. Let the fruit and water steep overnight to infuse with flavor. You will need to strain out the lumps of fruit before drinking. Melon, berries and citrus work well add mint or stevia leaves to add sweetness.
  • angelb1983
    angelb1983 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    This is so hard. I have been off pop for over a year. You may need to ween yourself off instead of quitting cold turkey. If you drank 3 then go to two one day then one the next. Pop is very addictive so it will take time....you have to remember to forgive yourself if you slip up, it is normal. I dont know how I would do it if my husband did not help me. I can not have certain foods in the house or I know I could not stay out of them. Will your fiance give up the pop at the house? or maybe switch to diet? If not you have to keep a healthier option for yourself so you dont feel deprived....I want to encourage you with this...since I have been off pop for over a year I have no desire for it anymore. Just quitting pop I lost a lot of weight and there is light at the end of the tunnel. When my husband drinks it I dont even want it. http://www.spiritualriver.com/soda-addiction-overcoming-the-most-accessible-drug/ <---- hope that link helps :) I know you can do it!!
  • csdavis09
    csdavis09 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It can be hard trying to get your health in order when those in your home may not have the same goals, or need to do the same. I have a very physically fit husband who does not gain weight at all, and has been the same weight for the past 9 years. I, on the other hand, gain weight when I look at something unhealthy. What I have seen work for us is two things: 1. continue to work hard even when you may not have the upfront support. In the real world, no one is going to stop having pop around you because you have chosen to quit. Much like an alcoholic doesn't get to stop others from drinking liquor when he/she is out in a restaurant. The liquor is there, but he/she can't partake. It can be the same in your household. The pop is there, but you are CHOOSING not to have any. Once you commit, your honey may follow your lead. 2. The other girls are right. Rome wasn't built in a day, so start out not buying any pop. Then start drinking more water. The flavored water packets are good, but that's just a start. Try to drink water with natural stuff in it too. I like to drink water with lemon, or lime, or cucumber, or fresh mashed up cherries, or a little fresh squeezed orange juice. Something to flavor it, without costing a bunch. Like you said in your original post, it takes time. Just keep chugging along, and pretty soon, those hard battles will be fought and won on your road to health.
  • MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I hear you on the issues with soda! I just stopped drinking it and Monsters about five days ago. There were days when the boyfriend and I would buy two 2 liters to have for over the weekend, and both would be gone by the end of the day. A 2 liter of soda per person in one day! I've yet to get any migraines, but I know they'll end up coming; either from the lack of caffeine in my system, or due to the fact they run in my family and I get them for no reason. xD But I've had a lot of friends that say they've dropped ten pounds within a few months just from cutting out soda. So it's possible, and it will help! Try to find some other things that you like to drink! I love water, but I like variety, too. I've recently discovered Zhen's Gypsy Tea in Berry Bellini. Guess what? I hate tea, but I LOVE this stuff. Go out and see if you can find some healthier drink options to try, you might surprise yourself!
  • Mrs101
    Mrs101 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Believe1213!!

Ok so first I think its amazing that you've taken on this new step in your life! and CONGRATS on your upcoming wedding!! I have an alternative for POP. I dont know what you think about TEA, but if your near to Or have access to the internet a great place to check out is TEAVANA. I used to work for this company and i lost about 9pnds, just drinking their tea. There's one em particular called Monkey Picked Oolong that really helped to boost digestion, weight loss. But any oolong really will have similar benefits. I find it helps to have some flavor in what you drink instead of going strictly to water after soda. Plus a lot of there tea has different flavors, as well as health benefits, so its GREAT for the whole family!
    so defiantly check it out!! I hope that helps!!:smile:
  • rainbowxcurls
    Options
    i've gone more than 2 months without pop and i don't even notice it anymore. if i really need a fix, i'll just drink one. then i don't subconsciously compensate by eating sweets later.
    i drink the walmart pineapple-coconut carbonated water too! (make sure its ice cold) it reminds me of a pina colada only more refreshing :-) free treat for my sweet tooth!
    the main thing that's helped me is to constantly have 64 oz. of cold filtered water at my beck and call. i fill up 2 of those deja-blue 32 oz. squeezie bottles in the morning from my brita tap, and drink on them all day. by lunch i try to have one gone, and i finish the other around 9pm. many times (especially now that it's hot) i'll drink more than that.
    also, mio black cherry is AWESOME. it has caffeine, and it basically blends right in (no shaking required :-) BUT crystal light pomegranate cherry is also delicious!
    i've noticed my skin improving, i'm hardly ever bloated (even before my period), and my digestion is much more balanced.

healthy habits start with you. the more water you drink, the more your kids will drink, and the healthier they will be for the rest of their lives!
  • Hurculetta
    Options
    I know exactly what you are going though. It's really hard to put your foot down and get yourself into gear. I know b/c it has happened to me. I will tell you how I have started and it may not be the way that you are supposed to do it, but I am the first to tell you that there are things that I cannot just "give up". First let me say that I eat like a lumberjack. I could have a full belly but know that the food is in the frig and want to make sure I eat it before anyone else does. Then I use my cycle as an excuse, or stress, or just simply say "fk it...I'll start tomorrow" Well it got to the point where I was weighing even heavier than when I signed up! Something had to be done and this is what I did... I started using small paper plates. I figured that if I had a full plate maybe it would trick my mind! I didn't change the food I was eating, I just ate smaller portions. Im really not big on sugar subs or diet anythings, but I do try to trim the fat off my meat and maybe not throw that extra cheese on my already cheesy macaroni. For me it had to be small changes b/c giving the fattening foods up all at once only had me in a pissy mood and craving it more! I started walking in city races.I figured that I would have to be ready to do the race so would go to my local walking track and started walking and worked my way up to being able to do up to 3 mile races! Some are 1 mile, some 2 mile, and some 3 mile races. It may take you a lot longer than everyone else, but you still get your race t-shirt and the free entertainment at the end of the race as a reward!:happy: I also went ahead and bought the Wii. I LOVE Wii dance. I know that you only have to move your arm to score high as you dance, but actually trying to do the dance is not only a great work out, but also extremely fun!! You can be Tina Turner in your living room!! I try to do it until I get 6000 points. You can make your own goals with this... make sure you have a lot of water b/c you will sweat!! I also do the elliptical for 10 minutes a day and now am playing slow pitch softball 3 nights a week. As you lose, though, don't be discouraged if you don't see any weight loss. i was at first but then one day I took my pants off and there were no seem lines on my legs!! That's an awesome feeling. I still weighed the same and my pants were still the same size, but the difference was they were fitting better!! I am no where near where I want to be, but i have tried not to let pictures on facebook get me down nor has it stopped me from going out to the beach without a T-shirt on. I try to use the pictures as an extra incentive thinking "wait until the next time they see me in person" You have a long time to do it and I think you will be fine.believe me when I tell you I am no barbie, and I am definitely not going to try to use her as my goal because I am not in my 20's, but eventually I will be someone that could give her a run for her money!! And so will you!! Hang in there!! You can do it!
This discussion has been closed.