Looking for people like me..

Options
katamus
katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
New here, been lurking and reading and absorbing as much as I can from the knowledge presented on the site/forums. I started counting every little bite I eat and walking all the time (taking breaks from work and going round and round our building usually ending up with walking 1 mile total). I just got Jillian's 30DS and day 1 was last night.

And all I get is grief.

My start weight was 146 (5'5") -- about 20-25 lbs more than I normally should be. Body fat calculator says I have 26.3% body fat. Over the past few months I've been less active and eating more garbage (lots of fast food at work, microwave dinners, easy carryout). I get it, sitting on my a** and eating cake doesn't equal healthy, strong, lean, or happy.

I'm tired of everyone saying to me "you don't need to lose weight! look how skinny you are! I wish I was your size!"
I also don't need to drink 5 diet sodas a day, or eat an order of large fries, or have an appetizer at dinner. Thanks.

Most of these people also don't see me naked, so I can understand their confusion. I dress fairly conservative so you can't see the roll of fat I've developed. Or that my thighs rub together because they're 24" of flab.

And I know, there are people who weigh 50+ lbs more than me and would love to be my size.. But that doesn't take away from the fact that -I- am not happy with my appearance. I also don't want to sit around and do nothing and eventually get to that point. Wake up one morning two years from now and go "oh s*** I weigh 200lbs!"

Also, family history... Everyone in my family is overweight.

I just want to be fit and healthy. I can't be a Victoria's Secret super model (I definitely don't have the chest for it) but I can try to look like the unedited versions of those people.

So I'm drinking nothing but water and eating all the time, but eating stuff that's at least decent for me (minus my pizza slip up, but that was still a controlled portion) and doesn't add up a million calories.

Anyway, apologies for the rant... Time for another walk. ;)

Replies

• kickers19
    kickers19 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Add me if you would like. My BMI is also at 26. I am trying to tone and lose a few more pounds. My boss actually told me today that if I lose any more weight, I'll look stupid... She actually said that to me. I'v lost 20 pounds already and would like to lose another 20. Anyways, if you would like some motivation, I try to comment as much as I can.
  • Courtkonen
    Options
    I'm new here too. I have lost about 10 lbs on my own but my friend told me about this site today so I figured I would give it a try.
  • katamus
    Options
    Kickers, your boss is probably just jealous. But definitely rude. I'll send the add, thanks. :)
  • lzach91
    lzach91 Posts: 4
    Options
    I would like to be added to your group of supporters, too! Life is a messy business but with friends and family, we survive. I am at about your same place...needing to lose about 20-25 pounds. I don't look bad now, I just don't look like "me" if that makes any sense at all. My BMI is at 27 and my doctor is okay with that. I am generally healthy but he supports my weight loss efforts and suggested for me to be comfortable I probably need to be in the 22-25 BMI range.

I can do this once I set my mind to it, but this app and online support will make it much easier and certainly more enjoyable!!!
  • katamus
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean by "don't look like 'me'". Like I have the idea of what I should look like... But my body isn't reflecting my ideas... Yet.
  • bzmamaof4
    bzmamaof4 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You could have been writing about ME! I know exactly how you feel and sometimes it's so frustrating. Feel free to add me. :)
  • veronicacannon
    veronicacannon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I''ll send you a friend request! I've lost almost 20 pounds and would like to lose MAYBE 15 more, if I can. But you're right, people don't see us like we see ourselves! If you don't like something about yourself then YOU have to change it, and I think its awesome that you're doing something about it! You sound just like me, not wanting to wait till I'm severely overweight before I realize that I need to lose some weight. Good for you and I'm here to support you!
  • nursenelson
    nursenelson Posts: 295
    Options
    feel free to add me :)
    actually all of the above could add me if they would like HAHAHA all the merrier...and more support for everyone :):)
    Heather
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I am so proud of all you beautiful young ladies who are getting a grip on things before they get to the point where I am. There is nothing wrong with wanting to lose 20 pounds! It's your body, it should look how you want it to look!
    :heart:
  • mishimouse101
    mishimouse101 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Training for a fitness goal is a convenient way to explain what you are doing and divert attention away from your weight and specific goals for the nosy. Something like "I am working on increasing my stamina" or "I want to be able to walk easily xx miles a day on my next vacation", deflect attention to health and away from weight. In the lunchroom, that can be more difficult, but the same idea applies when needed; "I am on a training diet to improve my fitness level/compete in a sport".

Good luck!!!