I need to get healthy

osufangurl2000
osufangurl2000 Posts: 2
edited September 18 in Introduce Yourself
Hello everyone. I'am a 18 yr. old girl that had struggled with her wait since about 10. My parents got a divorce around that time and left my mom as a single parent. My mother has a lot of health problems on her own which disable her to work. We get help with food and rent through the government. And as a result My mom's always saying that she has to made the foodstamps stretch. Instead of buying healthy foods (which are really kinda expensive) she is left buying food to prepare meals with. Now my mothers became over weight right after having me so her eating habits have never been good. What I'm having trouble with is that I really want to eat good but with our situation it doesn't really help. Besides exercise what do I do about eating healthy? Also it is so very hard to live with someone who is constantly bringing junk food into the house, I've asked her to buy good food instead and she replies, "Well junk food is cheaper and I'm not on a diet so just don't eat the junk food if you're dieting":mad: I feel living with her I will never be able to lose weight. Any advice on what I could maybe tell her? It also makes it hard when you have no support team helping you along the journey. :yawn:

Replies

• Hello everyone. I'am a 18 yr. old girl that had struggled with her wait since about 10. My parents got a divorce around that time and left my mom as a single parent. My mother has a lot of health problems on her own which disable her to work. We get help with food and rent through the government. And as a result My mom's always saying that she has to made the foodstamps stretch. Instead of buying healthy foods (which are really kinda expensive) she is left buying food to prepare meals with. Now my mothers became over weight right after having me so her eating habits have never been good. What I'm having trouble with is that I really want to eat good but with our situation it doesn't really help. Besides exercise what do I do about eating healthy? Also it is so very hard to live with someone who is constantly bringing junk food into the house, I've asked her to buy good food instead and she replies, "Well junk food is cheaper and I'm not on a diet so just don't eat the junk food if you're dieting":mad: I feel living with her I will never be able to lose weight. Any advice on what I could maybe tell her? It also makes it hard when you have no support team helping you along the journey. :yawn:
  • dshandt
    dshandt Posts: 192
    wow....that is so tough....you are fighting several uphill battles all at once!! I am SO sorry....but don't give up, whatever you do!! Are you still in school? I am thinking that you can either get a part-time or summer job and help out with the food budget, or maybe just buy a lot of your own food! Do you have any friends who can join My Fitness Pal (MFP) with you? If not, don't worry about it, 'cuz you will make friends here!!!! :bigsmile: Wow, I know your mom has a bunch of her own issues, but wouldn't it be cool if she would do the diet, too????

Really, this site is SUCH an encouragement, and there are all kinds of people here to talk to. Feel free to ask questions and read a bunch of stuff on the threads. At least advice is FREE!! :laugh:

Welcome, and hugs to you, Debbie
  • dshandt
    dshandt Posts: 192
    PS: I'm the old one in the photo :glasses:
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Welcome to the site!! You'll find lots of encouragement and lots of advice on here on how to eat healthy. My husband and I are on food stamps as well, so that I can stay at home with our son. Ask your mom if maybe she could buy you some bags of frozen veggies and maybe some chicken breasts or something like that (or even turkey burger, which is pretty healthy and you can add it into spaghetti sauce and things like that for a little boost of protein). A big bag of frozen veggies from Wal-Mart is only $5 and would probably last you two weeks (or even a month, if you stretch it). I really feel for you. When I was your age and living with my parents, they would eat a lot of junk food too. That's how I lost control of my weight. But you're making a really good start! Everyone on here will be happy to support you, and if you need anything, we're always here. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • sarakenna1
    sarakenna1 Posts: 261
    I hear you sister. I had a very similar situation when I was your age. My mom is obese, and has been all my life. She is disabled, on food stamps, makes really really really bad choices with her life, including food. When I lived with her (which was a long time ago) I didn't even think about eating well, partly because I had bigger things to worry about, and partly because I wasn't educated about nutrician at all. So, your first step is learning about what is good for you and what isn't. This sight will help you. Learn everything you can about what is good for your body, and also try to track your calories, protein, fat, carbs, and sodium using this sight. If you try hard not to go over on your daily recomended intake of each, you will lose a lot of weight and become healthier. You can't learn it all at once though, so give yourself some time. The more educated you become, the more you can educate your mom.

Now that you are 18, you can't let your mom's life be an excuse for the decisions you make in your life. You are a different person. You can do whatever you want, including getting healthy.

Good luck! We are here for you!

:wink:

Go Beavs! (Unless your refering to a different OSU).
This discussion has been closed.