275 calorie Italian Sausage-Spinach-Rice Bowl w/Photo

Options
delilah47
delilah47 Posts: 1,658
I posted this the other day in Food and Fitness and knew it was the wrong category when I scrolled down and saw the Recipes category.. so here it is again.

This recipe was originally from the Cooking Light website, but I made a few changes. It is so tasty and only 275 calories. The recipe originally called for orzo instead of rice, but I prefer rice and I'm sure you can use your preference of starch and it will still be delish ... and it's SO easy to make!

sausagespinachricemfp640x595.jpg
Sausage-Spinach-Rice Bowl

1 Pouch of Uncle Ben’s Basmati Rice (90 Second Ready Rice)
1.5 tsp olive oil
1 Package Isernio’s Bulk (15 oz) Chicken Italian Sausage
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
5 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
1 (9 oz) package baby spinach
2 tbsp grated asiago cheese (parmesan may be substituted)

 Heat rice per package instructions.
 Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
 Add olive oil and swirl.
 Add sausage and red pepper flakes; cook 4 minutes or until sausage is browned and crumbled
 Add garlic; cook 30 seconds stirring constantly.
 Add spinach and continue to cook for 30 seconds or until spinach begins to wilt, tossing constantly.
 Stir in rice; cook 1 minute or until heated.
 Sprinkle with asiago cheese.
 Divide into 4 servings.

Makes 4 servings.

Per MFP Analysis 275 calories per serving

PS If you are on a sodium restricted diet, you may have to juggle your day's sodium a little. MFP says about 850mg sodium.

Replies

• delilah47
    Options
    Wow! I guess you shouldn't post anything in the middle of the night. The next morning it's all about TOM, eating back exercise calories, and is housework exercise. :laugh:
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Yummy! Thanks for sharing! Sounds and looks goooood!
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    YUM!!! :tongue:
  • fatback13
    fatback13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is pretty good information. I will have to use chicken instead of the sausage. Tried the Sausage but well, it is an acquired taste.
    :wink:
  • BrownEyedJerseyGirl
    BrownEyedJerseyGirl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Looks good. WIll have to try it. Thanks for sharing.
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Wow! I guess you shouldn't post anything in the middle of the night. The next morning it's all about TOM, eating back exercise calories, and is housework exercise. :laugh:

HAH.

But really, this sounds delicious. I've got everything but the sausage. Thanks :)
  • BeSophisticate
    Options
    Looks nummy! I don't like spinach, though. I'm thinking broccoli. . .
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of stuff very similar with the chicken sausage. I like it. I do one with kale, chicken sausage and white beans, too. The sodium is a killer on those sausages though. Always go over on those days!
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    That actually looks amazing!!! Then again, I think I could eat my fist right now.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to bookmark recipes that you find on here? Or does anyone have quick ideas on how to save them??

This dish looks amazing, but i am thinking since the calorie count is so low, you could mix of a few of the ingredients to make it a higher calorie meal. My typical supper needs to be about 600-700 calories per serving to meet my 1200 calorie goal per day! Im doing Visuals shakes 2 at breakfast and lunch, then a meal, then another shake after my evening workout... which seems to work, since i cannot tolerate breakfast and never get hungry until about 7pm!
  • delilah47
    Options
    Is there a way to bookmark recipes that you find on here? Or does anyone have quick ideas on how to save them??

This dish looks amazing, but i am thinking since the calorie count is so low, you could mix of a few of the ingredients to make it a higher calorie meal. My typical supper needs to be about 600-700 calories per serving to meet my 1200 calorie goal per day! Im doing Visuals shakes 2 at breakfast and lunch, then a meal, then another shake after my evening workout... which seems to work, since i cannot tolerate breakfast and never get hungry until about 7pm!

Grab a double serving. Just replying to this thread will put this in your "My Topics" where you can easily find it. Or, just copy and paste into a Word Document.

Edit: I have made a directory called Cookbook and put categories to sort my recipes. I keep all my own recipes and some I find here in my directory.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! i just started here monday! how do you add pictures? I cant seem to figure out how when adding my recipes!
  • delilah47
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! i just started here monday! how do you add pictures? I cant seem to figure out how when adding my recipes!

Try this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/104076-posting-pictures-on-the-boards-tutorial