New to MFP, Looking for friends to help with motivation!

Options
Hi Everyone! A little bit about myself.

I'm 23 yo, 5'4", and currently sitting at 170lbs. I joined MFP just under 2 weeks ago and I really think that having people to talk to might be the key to a long lasting weight loss success!

I recently had brain surgery (twice) in the last 6 months and now am finally able to get up and about and being able to finally do something about my weight gain. As part of my surgeries they ended up taking deep tissue from my right leg which has severely hindered my ability to exercise to my previous potential.

I have set my goals in MFP as being down to the area of 125lbs, which it has set me at a calorie intake of 1200. Although I lost 5lbs in the first week, I think it was mostly water weight. I'm not having any trouble at all staying in the 1200 calorie range. But due to my health I'm not fully able to exercise the way I'd like.

My question is: Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to maintain a healthy continuous weight loss despite my set backs? Is 1200 right for me? If I do exercise - I have a FitBit which adds calories - should I eat back those calories?

Thanks in advance for your support, advice and motivation with all the amazing stories!

Replies

• pooki24
    pooki24 Posts: 31
    Options
    First, congrats on the good start.

I just bought a fitbit as well and am still figuring things out. From what I've read, the calories reported by fitbit is total calories expended, including at rest. So you need to determine the calorie deficit you want to target. For me my baseline calorie intake w/ exercise (what it takes to maintain current weight) is about 3000, so my target calorie intake is 2100-2400 depending on my actual workout. This leaves me (hopefully) with a 600-900 calorie deficit. I think this can be calculated automatically when you are setting up your profile, but I adjusted mine a little. From what I have seen the couple days I've had the fitbit, the calories FB adds is an adjustment of calories you burned during a recorded activity, to get the MFP numbers to reconcile...don't understand it 100% so maybe someone else can clarify this part.

BTW, one of my good friends had a couple of brain surgeries 2 years ago and easing back into working out really helped her recovery. Good luck
  • scaredygirl
    Options
    i'm so glad you are recovering from your surgeries and i hope you have good luck and good health!

i can understand your frustration at your lessened ability to exercise, but even a small amount of exercise will help you while you are maintaining an intake of 1200 calories. 1200 calories <i>sounds</i> like a lot, it seems to be the 'buzz' number of calories whenever 'diets' or weight loss is mentioned in magazines and on the news etc. but really, 1200 calories is a very small amount!! especially while your body is healing, your bmr will be a little bit higher, and you may find yourself with little energy at 1200 calories, not enough to do effective exercise. i'm not making myself very clear, but i'm just trying to say that you don't need to worry. your weight loss will fluctuate, sometimes be fast and sometimes be slow, but patience and perseverance i think will bring you success.
  • MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Hey! We're the same height and both have a decent amount to lose. I shall add you!

Congrats on being in good health again, by the way. And I would say (having read some of the posts in other areas of the forum) and considering you are in the process still of really healing, going over that 1200 calorie limit is just fine, especially if you're eating back calories you lost while exercising. Take it slow, too little calories can be just as bad as too many.
  • Mrs101
    Mrs101 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi,
    First I just wanted to say you are such a strong woman to have gone through as much as you have. I have arthritis and really bad knees, so working out has been a real challenge for me. My husband and I just moved from California back east, so it seems everything this year has been about overcoming challenges.
    I swim a lot and that seems to help! Treading water and also weight lifting in the water really takes the pressure and at times pain out of working my legs and body. plus i hear its better for your joints.
    keep up the great outlook and the weight will come off in time!:smile::smile:
  • MisssLeoo
    MisssLeoo Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks you guys!

I'm not trying to be too much of a stickler for going straight to 1200 and nothing over. Still healing overall but I just don't want to be gaining mass amounts of weight while not doing anything!...I originally was 170lbs before my first surgery and when I finally left the hospital a few weeks later (granted I couldn't exactly eat or do anything besides lay down), I was then roughly 153lbs....I then gained all the weight back again as I grew healthier and was able to eat. I know, I know! It's completely normal!! But it still reminded me that it's like my eating habits and body just wanted to be at that 170lb mark.

Thanks for the advice and good wishes...it really means alot!
  • monmcb
    monmcb Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi and Welcome!
    Have people to talk with is a wonderful way to help others get motivated, and to be motivated. Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • jmobashrn11
    jmobashrn11 Posts: 120
    Options
    Welcome! I'm 24 and 182 - add me if you want!