Can't get my potassium goal!

Options
I can't seem to reach my potassium goals. Any suggestions besides banana? I've considered drinking a coconut water each day but it won't get me to my potassium.

Replies

• niss63
    niss63 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Low sodium V-8 juice, cauliflower, and sweet potatoes, to name a few.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Check out this link: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=90

That website is a great resource!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    potatoes, and beet greens work too.
  • blasiansrus
    blasiansrus Posts: 151
    Options
    if you're just basing how much potassium off of mfp, your intake could be inaccurate! Many foods have it in them, but don't have it on a nutrition label simply because it isn't required
    Otherwise, they do have potassium supplements & you could always google a list of high potassium foods & incorporate those into your diet! Best of luck x
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Broccoli is really high in potassium. It actually has more than bananas. Also potatoes (with the skins) and carrots.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    Low sodium V-8 juice, cauliflower, and sweet potatoes, to name a few.

sweet potatoes for sure!!!
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    potatoes.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    if you're just basing how much potassium off of mfp, your intake could be inaccurate! Many foods have it in them, but don't have it on a nutrition label simply because it isn't required
    that's what I was thinking about. Don't trust the numbers here unless you've added the values for potassium yourself.
    Good luck!
  • Redheadthyca
    Redheadthyca Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Coconut water is loaded with potassium and same with dark leafy greens! Dairy has potassium, but it's not listed.
  • Drakonhold
    Drakonhold Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Double check your labels. Lots of foods don't show potassium, even though they contain it. Plus, if you're only going by the nutrition data on myfitnesspal, some of the items don't have all the nutrients listed on them.

Beet greens have some of the most potassium per serving of anything.
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Sweet raw cherries has potassium in them, too.
  • ScottFree_66
    ScottFree_66 Posts: 200
    Options
    red, white or black beans are very high.... spinach and tomatoes are a good source as well.

check this page out:
    http://potassiumrichfoods.com/potassium-rich-foods-list/
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Other than what's already been listed, all dairy products and orange juice, and I think pineapple juice, too, contain potassium. :drinker: I wouldn't take a supplement without checking your intake yourself. Too much or too little can do some weird things to your heart. :heart:
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    What everyone said so far....plus....use Nusalt to flavor your food instead is salt....it is Potassium Chloride:-) :-) :-) Potassium content is 530 mg per 1/6 teaspoon!! :-)
  • sundaywishes
    sundaywishes Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Bump! I need to check out those links!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Please be aware that many of the foods listed in the MFP database will list potassium as zero, even though the food contains significant amounts of potassium. So you may be getting more than you think! For reasons that escape me, potassium is frequently ignored. Which is a shame, given that potassium is so important in balancing sodium intake.

Dried apricots, white potatoes, apples, tomatoes, spinach, soy milk, salmon, and sweet potatoes are all good sources of potassium. If your diet is rich in fresh fruits and veggies, chances are you'll be getting lots of potassium.

See also:

http://potassiumrichfoods.com/potassium-rich-foods-list/
  • orsnowboard
    orsnowboard Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You guys rock!! I'll start by adding some of the foods to my meal plan but i'll also check my entries.

Thanks everyone!!

FYI - not a supplement fan at all.... too easy to get the wrong kind, not take the right amount... just costs money without the real benefits.