Running in the Rain

It looks like I'll be dealing with Debbie for the rest of the week, and I was just wondering if anybody had any thoughts/advice on running in the rain. My biggest concern is my iPhone... I am woefully incapable of running without music and I'm wondering if a baggie + my exercise band would be sufficient. But what about my headphones? I don't know.

I'm also wondering if I'd get, like, crazy blisters or anything. I just want to get back into running and I don't want to allow myself to use the rain as an excuse if I don't have to.

Replies

• freerangehuman
    freerangehuman Posts: 19 Member
    I love love love running in the rain. Soothes the soul. I listen to music on my phone normally, but I don't bring it in the rain. The sound of the rain, with the rhythm of my feet hitting the pavement is music enough. However, I absolutely do not run in a thunderstorm. I know some of those bands can have lightning, so just be wary of that.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    You could wrap your iPhone in plastic maybe?? Or put it in a bag?

I'm in the panhandle between Panama City and Pensacola and it was sunny and windy today... WEIRD!

Please be careful if where you're at is flooding or thundering and lightening if you decide to run... Other than that, have fun!! Running in the rain is exhilarating!
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    I run in the rain (I have to, otherwise I would never get anywhere...) I bag up the phone. I usually don´t listen to music, but I would make it play without the headphones. Not necessarily loud, just so that I can hear it.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    I go hiking and bike riding in the rain with this no problem- I even take it in my kayak.

http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/cases/iphone-4-4s

Edit- Sold at Best Buy
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    I also will run in the rain, kind of mandatory since where I live has near 200 rain days a year. I find it refreshing. Running in a tropical storm / hurricane would be very different than the light drizzle I get.

I wear Swiftwick compression socks, and they have basically eliminated blisters as a concern no matter how wet or hot my shoes and feet get. Any sock that is snug enough to your foot that the sock slides in the shoe instead of your foot inside the sock will work.

I would second the not bringing your phone in that heavy rain unless you can wear some sort of rain shell top and keep your phone inside it.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I always keep a plastic baggie in the pocket of my armband in case I get caught in the rain- I just poke the headphones through the bottom and create an emergency phone poncho. Or buy a waterproof case.

Also, make sure to get a stick of body glide, because wet running will make everything chafe faster, so body glide up.

When you get home, unlace or loosen the laces on your shoes, take the insoles out, and stuff some wadded up newspaper in the shoes to help them dry out faster.