Can you carry calories over ?

Options
Hello

I'm new to this and need some help. I've been doing weight watchers forever (without long term success). Can you carry any unused calories over to another day eg save g up for a special occasion etc?

Replies

• LittleButMightyOne
    Options
    MFP works more on a daily basis, i.e. it does not show any rollover day to day. However, that doesn't mean your body works that way. A deficit of 3500 calories from your TWEE (Total Weekly Energy Expenditure) per week would make you lose about a pound that week. Whether that means eating the same amount every day in order to achieve that deficit, or eating a bit more or less a few days and getting to the same overall net amount of calories you need, and not more, you will get there.

But because of the way MFP is set up, I'd suggest recording the amount of calories your'e "under" on other days so you know later how much you can cheat on a specific day, so you don't go "over" in the long run. MFP isn't going to help you here. When you record your cheat day it's going to act all high and mighty, so just ignore it. :)
  • MrsMigginsPieShop
    MrsMigginsPieShop Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks. That's really helpful. I've just spent ages going through the website to try and find the answer, so you've really helped me.

How are you getting on with MFP?

Here goes...
  • LittleButMightyOne
    Options
    Hi! Sorry I didn't see this until now. I haven't lost much weight with the program yet, but I blame it on a few diet setbacks. I'm trying to correct that now. I could benefit from following my own advice, if I know I'm going to get off track on a *roadtrip*. :)

Luckily I don't have any more of those planned in the immediate future. Phew.
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I've heard that weekly caloric totals are more important that daily totals.....I like that way since if you only eat, say, 1200 calories one day and your daily goal is 1500 calories per day like mine, then you have an extra 300 calories for the next day. Also, your body won't "shut down" or go into "starvation mode" if you're slightly under your daily requirements...on the other hand, you will not gain 5248237843758473 pounds by consuming a few hundred more calories than your daily goal on a given day either. Good luck!
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I do. Many times I find it extremely difficult to eat all my exercise calories, especially when I've burned like 600-700. So I try and not net too low and then bank them and enjoy another day, when I'll go over calories. Everything evens out on the scale at the end of the week. I find I don't even have to try, it just kinda works out that way if I don't worry about it too much.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I usually bank them and use them for a special treat at the end of the week.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I've heard that weekly caloric totals are more important that daily totals.....I like that way since if you only eat, say, 1200 calories one day and your daily goal is 1500 calories per day like mine, then you have an extra 300 calories for the next day. Also, your body won't "shut down" or go into "starvation mode" if you're slightly under your daily requirements...on the other hand, you will not gain 5248237843758473 pounds by consuming a few hundred more calories than your daily goal on a given day either. Good luck!
    That may be true but drastic daily swings can affect hormones and mood levels.
  • bkbakersgirl
    Options
    Carry over never occured to me. Up to this point I've been so strict with my 'diets' that I haven't been able to stick with them as a long term solution or make them a permanent lifestyle change (which is what I need). I like flexibility. Thanks for bringing this up!!