Help ! Looking for a Lifestyle Change

Options
I'm very excited about joining this community. My major goal is to learn to eat right and to shed lots of unwanted pounds. Hopefully with great support sytem helping me, I change my horrible eating habits for life. As a struggling new member does anyone have any ideas on how to get started?

Replies

• Carrieed22
    Carrieed22 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm very excited about joining this community. My major goal is to learn to eat right and to shed lots of unwanted pounds. Hopefully with great support sytem helping me, I change my horrible eating habits for life. As a struggling new member does anyone have any ideas on how to get started?
  • nikki_b335
    nikki_b335 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    hey carrie!
    I know you can do it! we will do it together!!! :flowerforyou:
  • nikki_b335
    nikki_b335 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    hey carrie!
    I know you can do it! we will do it together!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Bekah
    Bekah Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    small and slow steps and you will go far:flowerforyou:
  • travelbug
    travelbug Posts: 153
    Options
    There are a lot of great posts in the community message boards. I can always find someone going through the same thing and lots of great advice. Ask anything any time you need and support is out there.
  • Sueravacio
    Sueravacio Posts: 3
    Options
    Hey Carrieed22,

Just like you, i just got in to this wonderful site.

And just like what i did, you can start with just counting your calories - your intake and the burning. Allow yourself to see the truth in what you eat, and the truth in the things you do (working out and then some)...

Just logging in my calories daily and observing the trend, the journal helped me realized that i'm really not eating well, and that i'm totally sedentary, and decided i'm gonna go for a "lifestyle change".

It was hard for me at first, with my husband (that i share most mealtimes with) is very obese. Before i signed in, I was already healthy but inching toward overweight. And i don't feel good about it (saying bye-bye to my old clothes in the closet)...

But i'm now determined to bring back that old body - strong and healthy.

Best luck to all of us!
  • jpketz
    jpketz Posts: 73
    Options
    I think you'll find that simply becoming aware of your eating habits is a huge first step. This site gives you a no-brainer, convenient place to get a snapshot look at "what I stuck in my mouth today". At first that can be a little shocking, but once you do it for a while, and you're rigorously honest, it'll become something you look forward to.

I think it works because when you write down what you eat, you have to actually think about it,—which leads to planning your meals, planning your exercise, sometimes planning your exercise in order to have that birthday cake at a family party without blowing your daily total (what a concept!).

For most of us, eating is a compulsion—thus for all intents and purposes we are not in control of our eating, most of the time. Using this new tool of logging what you eat removes the vagueness so it's virtually impossible NOT to be in some control. And at the end of the day isn't better to say, "I'm going to eat this 200 calorie ice cream sandwich (dammit), knowing exactly how it will affect my weight, my goals, etc."? Instead of sneaking around from illicit snack to snack, not wanting to really keep track because we'd be forced to confront the behavior?

So give it a few weeks...religiously log every molecule of food and see how it changes your outlook. I think you'll be amazed and ultimately get where you want to be.
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Welcome and best of luck to you! I found the easiest way to adjust is to log meals before eating them, that way you can make adjustments and stay with your limits!