Water? true or false.

Options
zammex
zammex Posts: 36 Member
Ive read somewhere that its better to drink your water icecold. because that boost your metabolism or something. is this true or can I still have my morning bottle of water roomstemperated because im to lazy to put it in the fridge, haha :)

Replies

• alliegeorge
    alliegeorge Posts: 114
    Options
    Its something to do with the amount of calories burned to warm ice cold water up inside the body - apparently helps you lose weight.. personally I couldn't care less. water is water; I drink it cause I'm thirsty - not to lose weight lol
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    It is true to a point, yes and I would say it possibly adds up eventually. I'm not sure, but just in case I would drink it cold. I don't like warm water anyways though, so I almost always drink it ice cold.
  • mum2paris
    mum2paris Posts: 25
    Options
    I haven't heard that, but I was told by my trainer at the gym to have a glass of warm water with a lemon squeezed into it within half an hour of getting up in th emorning to jump start my metabolism, and then the same with each meal.. I found it actually has seemed to work.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    The calories burned are negligible
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The benefit is so minuscule it is not worth worrying about.
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    The calories burned are negligible

Exactly. The main thing is to drink water - warm, cold, with lemon, ice whatever - as long as youre drinking enough!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    It isn't true. First of all, you have EXTREMELY little control over your metabolism. There is no such thing as "jump-starting" or "kick-starting" metabolism. Secondly, it does not make sense scientifically. Here's why:

The definition of a calorie is the amount of heat required to increase the temperature of 1 liter of water by 1 degree centigrade. So let's say you drink 2 L of water a day (a little over half a gallon). And let's also say that you usually drink it at 25 Celsius (more or less room temperature). Now let's say that, based on that advice, you begin drinking your water chilled to 10 Celsius, which is basically refrigerator temperature. You will burn about 30 additional calories daily. And that's assuming you finish the water in 0 seconds, because the water starts warming back up the instant you take it out of the fridge.

Also, a lot of people find it hard to drink ice-cold water, so you might end up decreasing your overall water consumption.
  • zammex
    zammex Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Okey thanks.
    Ive realised that if i keep a bottle of water next to me I will drink it. but if I dont do it I wont. and I normally forget to drink in the morning otherwise so Im gonna keep drinking my water "warm" the first thing i do when i wake up.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard that, but I was told by my trainer at the gym to have a glass of warm water with a lemon squeezed into it within half an hour of getting up in th emorning to jump start my metabolism, and then the same with each meal.. I found it actually has seemed to work.

Maybe a new trainer would be beneficial to you :-)
  • IAMDDAY
    IAMDDAY Posts: 771
    Options
    Hey every little bit helps so why not if it burns a calorie i am all about it.
  • Pilcrow_
    Pilcrow_ Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Maybe a new trainer would be beneficial to you :-)

Eh... Drinking warm water helps with bowel movement... Maybe he just got confused?! :tongue:
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Hey every little bit helps so why not if it burns a calorie i am all about it.

When a trainer explains you how water and lemon rocket jump a metabolism, there are high chances he may be not aware of what the metabolism is, which, well...sucks for a trainer :-(
  • eathealthy2live
    eathealthy2live Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I Drink 8 glasses of really cold water a day, Drink only water with no additives or sugar is so important because our bodies need to be hydrated all the time to function properly. Most important Drink a cup of cold water before you go to bed and specially right when you get up first thing in the morning. I do this every morning and also when I awake from a nap. First thing I do is drink cold refrigerated water, I like it really cold. Drinking really cold water first thing when you wake up is like us pre-starting your car in the morning and letting it warm up before you drive it..The cold water jump starts our metabolism and gets our body firing up the thermostat to burn calories to warm the body. So its very good for you and how your body will function through out the day...
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options

Trainers really need to stop giving advice on anything but exercise.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Trainers really need to stop giving advice on anything but exercise.

QFT
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I Drink 8 glasses of really cold water a day, Drink only water with no additives or sugar is so important because our bodies need to be hydrated all the time to function properly. Most important Drink a cup of cold water before you go to bed and specially right when you get up first thing in the morning. I do this every morning and also when I awake from a nap. First thing I do is drink cold refrigerated water, I like it really cold. Drinking really cold water first thing when you wake up is like us pre-starting your car in the morning and letting it warm up before you drive it..The cold water jump starts our metabolism and gets our body firing up the thermostat to burn calories to warm the body. So its very good for you and how your body will function through out the day...
    Could you please provide sources to back this up? We already calculated that, if you switch from room temperature water to refrigerated water, you would only burn AT MOST an additional 30 calories a day drinking 8 cups a day. Furthermore, it doesn't make sense to compare a body, which is always metabolizing, even during sleep, to a car, which is turned completely off when not in use.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    oh weird...never heard of that but interesting
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I heard it burns 17 calories per 500ml/16 ounces/2 cups.
  • eathealthy2live
    eathealthy2live Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Could you please provide sources to back this up? We already calculated that, if you switch from room temperature water to refrigerated water, you would only burn AT MOST an additional 30 calories a day drinking 8 cups a day. Furthermore, it doesn't make sense to compare a body, which is always metabolizing, even during sleep, to a car, which is turned completely off when not in use.

Here is the Link to My information and the article.

http://greatist.com/health/drink-cold-water/

What if we said that ice can rev up metabolism and increase weight loss? (And no, we’re not talking about Nattie Ice.) When the body is exposed to cold temperatures— like ingesting a glass of icy water— it burns extra calories to keep itself warm, increasing metabolism by up to 50% in the process. Looks like Mr. Freeze had the right idea!

Ice Ice Baby – The Takeaway

The human body is constantly trying to maintain a static temperature of 98.6 degrees. The colder the surrounding or internal conditions, the more calories the body burns to keep warm[1]. Metabolism acts like a furnace that must burn fuel to keep the body nice and toasty. Luckily, the body’s fuel of choice for keeping warm is “brown fat,” more commonly known as the stuff comprising muffin tops (and not the tasty kind).

Drinking iced water is one of several ways to harness this mechanism for weight loss, since the body must compensate for the sudden temperature drop. One 16 ounce glass of cold water can burn up to 17.5 calories, no treadmill required. Cold showers, a lowered thermostat, and vigorous swims in pools full of orange juice concentrate all utilize this same mechanism. But don’t run off with the penguins just yet: exposure to extreme cold might do a lot more harm than good and can cause severe complications in people with cardiovascular conditions. Plus, fewer than 20 calories per glass will hardly transform modern-day Val Kilmer back into Iceman.

Still looking to melt off extra pounds (or at least ounces)? For that thermodynamic edge, throw some ice in a drink and get ready to harness that inner, slimmer cool cat.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/how-drinking-water-helps-weight-loss.html

Drinking water is one of the easiest efforts you can incorporate into your weight loss or weight maintenance plan. Think about it: unlike saying no to eating that delicious pastry at work or going to kickboxing class once or twice a week, making sure you are drinking enough water requires little to no will power.

There's no excuse for not drinking enough water, and if you're having trouble finding a way to fit your recommended 8 glasses a day into your schedule, it's an easy fix. Let's talk more about how drinking water helps with weight loss.

Drinking Water Fills You Up

Did you know that often when you feel hungry, you're really just thirsty? Our mind tends to confuse hunger and thirst. When you find yourself hungry at odd times of the day, reach for a cup of water before grabbing food. If you really are hungry, you can still eat a snack afterwards. But let's say your feelings of hunger do go away after drinking that cup of water. You've just saved yourself calories by not eating the snack your body didn't really need!

Water is great because it fills us up and keeps us from overeating. Many diet and health books recommend drinking a glass of water before going to social events, like cocktail parties and sporting events, because doing so will prevent you from overeating the unlimited unhealthy snack foods likely to be there. In essence, drinking water buys you time--time to assess how hungry you are and to make better food choices. So the next time you're about to enter a situation where ample unhealthy foods will be at your disposal, chug some water first.

Drinking Water Revs Up Your Metabolism

Dehydration is your body's enemy. It slows bodily functions and metabolism. As a matter of fact, your metabolism will slow to conserve energy when you haven't had enough water to drink, as your organs can't and won't function as efficiently. Scientifically speaking, drinking water has been proven to contribute to your body's ability to burn calories. You body needs an adequate amount of water to properly function, especially during exercise, and dehydration prohibits the fat-burning process.

Drinking ice cold water first thing in the morning is an easy way to speed up your metabolism. Right when you wake up, drink a glass or two of cold water. Your body will have to warm up the water entering your system, which means increasing your metabolism in the process. It's a simple step to add into your daily routine that, while not a miracle cure, can certainly contribute to your other weight loss efforts.

Drinking Water Keeps You Healthy

Water flushes toxins from your body's system, including those produced during exercise. It aids in keeping your joints lubricated--very important for both daily functions and in preventing your body from injury during exercise. In short, drinking water is vital to your other weight loss efforts including. If you're working out regularly, drinking an adequate amount of water is extremely important.

Whether you're just embarking on your weight loss plan or have been steadily making strides for some time, make sure you're drinking enough water for your body to function correctly.
  • ConstableOdo
    ConstableOdo Posts: 104
    Options
    I heard it burns 17 calories per 500ml/16 ounces/2 cups.

That depends on the temperature. A food calorie is a unit that means "the amount of energy it takes to heat 1 kilogram of water 1 degree Celsius" So if it's 16 ounces and each ounce is 28 grams

So you have 448 grams of water. That is almost half a kilogram. So if the human body is 37 C and the water is, say, 2 C.... that is 35 C difference. About 17 calories are needed to heat it...

Unfortunately, the body doesn't create additional heat to heat the water. It heats it passively, so it's more like 17 calories that would have been burned anyway keeping the body warm... It's not 17 extra calories. Maybe 2 extra calories. Maybe.