Zumba while pregnant

Options
Is Zumba safe for a pregnant person?

Replies

• paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I don't know about safety, but it can be quite high impact. I'd check with your midwife but I'd probably do something more gentle like swimming.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    My OB said it was ok if it's an activity that I had been doing for a while and to make sure not to overdo it. A good gauge is to be able to speak in full sentence while exercising. But double check with your doctor, and see what s/he is ok with.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I did while I was pregnant... while it can be pretty high impact, you can make it low impact (think Zumba Gold)... just talk to your instructor and see if she can show you modifications.
  • hana2291
    hana2291 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hiya! I'm a Zumba and Bokwa instructor plus a medical student and this is the advice I give my class members:

I am usually happy to have pregnant ladies in my classes provided that:

1. You have been exercising regularly BEFORE you fell pregnant so the classes will not be a new strain to your body.
    2. You don't have any other serious health problems which would usually prevent you from exercising e.g. heart problems etc. (I get all my class members to do a quick health questionnaire so that I'm aware of anything that could affect them in class)
    3. You have had your 12 week scan, and given the go ahead by your doctor/midwife. I always ask for a letter from them with their advice in writing for my records (this is mainly for my insurance purposes) plus a recommendation for how long you can exercise for (e.g. up to 36 weeks gestation) This depends purely on you as a person, and your doctor/midwife will know what to advise best.

Zumba is suitable for pregnancy like most other exercise. Most pregnant mummies are already on the go at work, at home, and running around looking after other kids, so exercise is not dangerous provided you're already fit and healthy. Pregnancy is not an illness or condition- it's something our bodies are designed to do, but it is vital to check with your doctor first as some women can have high risk pregnancies e.g. pre-eclampsia (very high blood pressure) and exercise in these women is completely contraindicated.

Have a word with your instructor- most instructors are happy to have pregnant ladies come to their classes, but some aren't if they aren't experienced with pregnancy and exercise. I am more comfortable with ladies that I already know from my classes who then fall pregnant to continue, rather than someone completely new. I once had a brand new lady call me up asking if she could come to classes that night but she was 6 months pregnant!! For her I said no, as she wasn't used to Zumba and her pregnancy was too advanced for her to start and I didn't feel comfortable with her starting exercise now. She came back 4 months later and worked off the baby weight instead! Zumba can also be adapted to be very low impact so have a chat with your instructor, and she should be able to adapt the moves to accommodate you. Just make sure to have good communication with him/her and take it easy- work up to a level where you feel comfortable :-) Listen to your body, and if you find it too much then don't push yourself. If you really want to carry on with Zumba, perhaps find another form which is gentler e.g. Zumba gold or even Zumba Aqua!!

Hannah x