Return to running after sprained ankle

Options
I badly sprained my ankle 6 months ago, which then healed but I recently started running to keep fit. My usual exercise before included mainly aerobics and some kickboxing workouts neither of which were as hard on my ankles. I've now pushed myself too hard to the point where it actually hurts so much that I cannot run :( Stupid I know but I enjoyed running so much I simply overdid it. But now my previous workouts don't get me sweating enough and seem really boring! Can anyone suggest a good cardio workout that will be easy on the ankles while I let it recover?
Thanks for any feedback, I am so annoyed with myself!

Replies

• swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Swimming! This is the only thing I could do for months (besides yoga) after spraining mine! I sprained my ankle 3 times in 1 year (required a cast for 2 of those times), I sprained it last in November 2011 after I had been running for only 2 months and was beginning to love it. I feel your pain!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    swimming! i had this frustration last summer...ugh...eventually i could bike, then walk, and then run. however, it took weeks, and my "running" started off as jogs for awhile. rest it and don't go too fast!
  • hayley9914
    hayley9914 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi - I sprained my ankle too (while I was out running!!) I have been swimming to get the range of movement back, and I have been doing Jillian Michaels DVD's to keep leg strength up (30DS and Killer Buns) you need to modify a couple of the moves, but really gets a sweat on!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Swimming, biking, rowing are all great.

Sprains are tricky, take the time to heal properly then gradually ease back into running. (Lots of walking first)
  • ruby229
    ruby229 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    Went for a swim today, first time in about a year, buuut was much better on my ankle and it felt really good to be exercising! My arms are so achy now!