Body shape and image

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
I find it very interesting how people's image of themselves body-wise often has absolutely no basis in numbers, but is all about how you look compared to how you think you ought to look.

I was really struck the other day on the hip measurement thread how some people said they carried all their weight in their thighs, but when they gave their measurements were only 21 or 22 inches, which is actually quite small. People have these fixed idea that they are apple or pair shaped, but it seems there is very little to it other than their own perception. Most of the people on here who call themselves pear shaped look entirely in proportion to me, and little different to myself, whereas I have always thought of myself as apple shaped as I have what I consider very narrow hips (34 inches).

Anyway, I just thought it was an interesting observation. Most people's body images and the feelings they have attached to that are in the vast majority of cases purely in their own heads. Other people don't see you that way!

Replies

• huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    True - and can also be demotivating. I think people also get some image in their mind about what they will look like by simply losing weight without any muscle work - then when they get there are discouraged because their body did not shape the way they visioned it would be.